PDA

View Full Version : Using Log Splitter to Cut Ingots?

LUBEDUDE
05-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Has anyone had any success using any of the various log splitters to cut the larger 50 pound plus ingots?

Specifically interested in the Harbor Freight manual 10 ton log splitter which I find questionable.

Then there is the gas powered 20 ton hydraulic series like at Tractor supply and some of the rental places for $70/day, which I think may work.

Then the super duty 32 ton gas power for sale at Tractor Supply for $1400 up depending on when you buy it. Seem that this one should work.

Anyway, looking for experience if possible. Any help would be appreiciated.

LubeDude

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2010, 02:46 AM
If I had a 50# ingot I would use THE BLUE WRENCH on it.:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh
05-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Do yo have logs to split as well??

Shiloh

zuke
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I remember having a couple big block's to melt down.
I made a wood fire and tossed'em in.In the morning when it was a pile of ash's I just followed the silver river and picked it all up.

bigdog454
05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Sawzall works well and is much cheaper.

George Tucker
05-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the Blue Torch idea, George.

excavman
05-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Anybody ever try a chop saw?

Larry

Shiloh
05-08-2010, 12:41 PM

+1

I have experience with this.

Shiloh

Suo Gan
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah a log splitter works great for this!

Okay, reread your post again. I would not consider the electric splitter at HF to be at all adequate. Renting a splitter might be a good idea if you had enough to justify doing this. If they are 50 pound chunks, I would just invest money into a beefed up turkey burner and have a lead pot made from steel pipe or if you are handy make one up yourself to accommodate the larger pieces. If you make it big enough, you should have no problem melting 100 pound chunks in a pot...and it really would not have to be that big. That investment would cost about $200 (or a lot less if you scrounge a little) and you could use it in your regular smelting too. FWIW.

Suo Gan
05-08-2010, 12:59 PM

When I used a sawzall, the friction of the cutting softened the lead in the kerf and caused the blade to seize up and bent it every time.

steg
05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I've had a HF splitter for around 7years now (4 ton) and I do split wood with it, and iv'e also split Pb ingots with it. I don't know the dimensions of your ingots, but if you have a friend that has one I'm sure they would let you try, if they cant split something, which is rare, they just stop trying and back up, no harm no foul.............steg

bbailey7821
05-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I use a large branch pruner to cut small ingots into more manageable sizes. I've found that it if it will fit between the blades, you can cut it.

Johnch
05-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I have used a old chain on the the chain saw several times to reduce huge counter weights to moveable sizes

Just go super slow , have a helper slowly pour used oil on the cut and don't force the blade in
Just let the saw cut a little and clean out the lead slivers

Then just rake up the loose lead

One morning years back we cut up 2 - 1000 lb counter weights into 100 lb or so chunks that we could haul

Boy do I wish we would have salvaged all the other counter weights when we had a chance

John

Le Loup Solitaire
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I have used a 10 ton log splitter to cut some large Lino bars; not the HF one but a similar model sold by Grizzley. I had to use a section of log long covered with a railroad tie plate as backing. You just have to go slow with the pressure to allow time for the lead being cut to flow to eith side of the cutting wedge. It works fine. Another way to do it is to use a circular saw with a carbide blade; cover the saw with some kind of wap as there is a lot of flying lead chips. Again go slow and keep the saw going straight as you don't want to deal with any kickback. LLS

mack1
05-08-2010, 03:11 PM
sawzall with a agressive blade like a wood blade works well and does not waste as much lead with the cut. I'll have to try the log splitter next time but this will require a plate of steel because my log splitter wedge does not reach the bottom platform, about an inch gap

Fugowii
05-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Just take a propane torch to it and put an ingot mould under it to catch the drippings. It will be done in no time at all.

jhrosier
05-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I use a large branch pruner to cut small ingots into more manageable sizes. I've found that it if it will fit between the blades, you can cut it.

Many thanks!

This is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas.:-)

Jack

Suo Gan
05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
sawzall with a agressive blade like a wood blade works well and does not waste as much lead with the cut. I'll have to try the log splitter next time but this will require a plate of steel because my log splitter wedge does not reach the bottom platform, about an inch gap

Use a piece of firewood widthways between the plate and lead to make up the gap.

markshere2
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
My circular saw cuts 'em up just fine.

casterofboolits
05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
I used a circular saw with carbide teeth to saw up blocks and lead pipe. Worked fine!

LUBEDUDE
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

Well I rented a 28 ton log splitter..... and one would think that should be plenty for 40-50 pound ingots. 16" long, 3 1/2 " thick and wide.

It would go about half way and then you would have to spin it around. However, the machine had faulty welds in critical places and blew apart after cutting a few bars.

When I took the unit back, the service guys were not surprised, they said that they had others do the same, so I did not feel that I had abused the machine at all.

If one does decide to use a log splitter, do as LLS advises and go slow. Know your machine and framework and how stout that framework and workmanship is before using.

I was using commercial ingots with a so called "commercial" splitter that had backyard framework. Thus, they did not mix.

I am lucky no one got hurt.

Good Luck

LubeDude