PDA

View Full Version : Converting antique rifle actions into pistols?

Hackleback
07-26-2006, 11:09 PM
OK all you ATP/FFL law buffs; I know that you can not convert a "modern" rifle into a pistol-(techincally you can, I think that its called a short rifle and you have to pay a $200 tax and do a pile of paper work; as I understand it). How about an antique action (pre 1898)? You do not have to do a background check when you purchase it and to some degree, that are unregulated by ATF. In a sense, ATF does not consider them a firearm.

These statements are open for interpretation and by be flawed.

I have a good idea what the outcome will be, but sometimes one is surprised.

:Fire:

Thank you

omgb
07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
It is my understanding based on a couple of conversations with BATF wiennies, that you cross a line when you chop that rifle down regardless of age and that it becomes a destructive device and thus regulated by the feds. I could be wrong on this but that is in fact, waht these two different guys told me.

Char-Gar
07-27-2006, 11:47 AM
I "think" I know the answer to your question.

However you are treading on the razor edge of a Federal felony offense. Don't take advice from an unknown source on the internet on such an issue.

Talk with the BATF and get the straight skinny. Even then get book and page of the regs so you can check for yourself. Sometimes even those BATF folks are wrong, and getting bad advice from the Government won't stop that same Goverment from prosecuting you.

Hackleback
07-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Charger, This is just a place to "test the waters" and find out if it can be done. If I was to see several yes's or maybe's than it would be worth my time to continue my research on the subject. I had not intention of diving into this project just someone on the -net says yes.

Char-Gar
07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Just the old lawyer in me....

KCSO
07-29-2006, 11:42 PM
No

The Batf ruled that a remington rolling block pistol that was made from a rifle was a violation and siezed it from a close friend. Thsi wasn't just a home shop job, but a cased target pistol mad ein the 1930's.

Hackleback
07-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Here is the deal, I have found a gunsmith that is making a XP-100 type hand guns using Yugo 48 actions. They are well built, the price is right and I like the concept- BUT after several discussions by e-mail I am not 100% they are leagel and will not buy one.

I have been intreged by the concept but was under the impression that this is not leagel. I was taking the concept one further with the idea of an antique action since they are less regulated. The other avenue to persue is the use of a brand new action. After discussing this with several individuals, that the action must leave the factory as a pistol (paper work wise) to be converted into a pistol configuration.

45nut
07-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I am a big fan of the idea myself,but I would also pass by very fast. I do not think he wil get any ATF support for the idea and any work he has already done is suspect,that said,,,,http://www.hornetproducts.com/ is converting 10-22's by carefully following the letter of the regulations. Not the spirit,but the letter. Have a look.

Four Fingers of Death
07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Boy, they are as ugly as sin! look like they'd shoot though, which means I could probably tolerate one. :-) Mick.

Hackleback
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
With the help of 45nut to jar a thought in the ol' mellon, if one was to keep the bbl greater than 16" and the total length over 26" you have a legal "rifle". I think this is how this gentleman was skirting the law.

:???: :Fire: