PDA

View Full Version : Need .550" round ball mold

DukeInFlorida
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I have an original Thompson Center Renegade 56 cal SMOOTH BORE gun. No rifling. It requires a round ball, with a patch. The round balls that I cast from a buddy's mold back in the 70's measure .550" around.

The problem is that my buddy is no longer around, and I'm almost out of the balls I cast back in the 70's.

I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.

Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold?

longbow
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Try Jeff Tanner in the UK:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

I don't have any personal experience but I have heard good things and apparently he has good prices.

He will make whatever size you want.

fishhawk
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
our own red river rick will make roundball molds not sure what his prices are. steve k

webfoot10
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Duke, Just use .535 dia RB's, patch with heavy cotton denim or canvas material. I had a
TC Renegade in .54 that could shoot two in groups at fifty yards. My buddie bought the
Smooth bore .56 Renegade and patching with old tent canvas .025 thick with .535 RB's
would shoot the same. I would try the .530 RB as well, to see what your gun likes.
webfoot10

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
05-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Try Dixie gun works for a mold, they handle quite a few.

Charlie

missionary5155
05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Goood morning
+ 1 on the thicker patch solution. There may be no limit how small a ball you can shoot by using a thicker patch. But the biggest problem I have encountered is when you start using multiple patches being consistant. I have used mutiple patching in my .69 musket and discovered with square patches it was best to rotate the next patch 90 degrees in reference to the previous patch when using multiples. Two patches gave a bit better accuracy than one large patch folded possably due to the fold seem.
But in using the smaller ball there is no accuracy loss IF you keep patch tension the same keeping the ball consistantly centered.

DukeInFlorida
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I've checked at Dixie Gun Works. They do not have a .550" round ball mold.

I understand your comments about adding extra patch material, to make up the thickness. This is a hunting gun, and the time it takes to set up a second patch for a second shot would probably not work in all cases.

I have contacted all of the suggested custom mold makers, and asked for pricing.
I have also contacted Lee, and find that they want a $200 set up fee, plus the $30 cost of the mold, to make this, as a custom size (which they will then add to their standard mold offering list). That makes that mold a very expensive proposition.

Dang! I should have gotten a mold for this thing way back when I first bought it.

mooman76
05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Occassionally you see them on ebay.

missionary5155
05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Greetings
It does not take long to load with the thick patch. Just get whatever mold is close and inexpensive and use leather if you have to. THick patching material abounds if you just hunt about. Old Blue jeans.. tarp.. canvas.. chair material... Just get good cotton.

crowkiller2
05-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Duke
I have a jeff tanner .550 mold that I will sell. Make me an offer.

DukeInFlorida
05-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Does it have handles attached?

Duke
I have a jeff tanner .550 mold that I will sell. Make me an offer.

crowkiller2
05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
No it takes lyman handles.

RBak
05-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I shoot a old .56 SB (1985 Renegade) and I use a .530 ball, and a .015 compressed patch.
It is fairly easy to load, and shoots just as well as any of my other Muzzleloaders out to 50 / 60 yards.

Think of it this way...a .56 smooth bore has a .560 bore and has no rifling or grooves to take up the excess patch.... the patch and ball has to be an almost exact fit.
Since a round ball has two sides, and the barrel of every muzzleloader has two sides, no matter which way you look at them.... you have to think, .015 + .015 + .530 = .560 (.560 being the exact bore diameter of the .56...at least most of the time.)

I have used .550 round ball from ToTW, but in order to use them I had to have a .005 / .006 patch which was way to thin.
I had to use a OP card (Over Powder Card) otherwise I would burn the patch pretty bad, even with mild loads.
(I still use a OP Card when I shoot over 90 gr. FFg...or 85gr FFFg....but that is very seldom any more.)

You can make that SB shoot as well as a rifled rifle, but it will take some experimenting on your part.
Patch thickness, lube, and powder charge seem to be a bit more "sensitive" for a smooth bore than with a rifled rifle.

Russ...

DukeInFlorida
05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
UPDATE: Group buy interest thread started:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83615
------------------------------------

I have a Jeff Tanner mold (from England) coming. Bought it off eBay. It was an expired auction, which no one bid on. The fellow was willing to sell it to me for the opening asking price.

I've shot thousands of .550" diameter balls from this gun, and have patches that work great with it.

The Jeff Tanner molds do NOT have a sprue cutter built in. You have to remove the sprues with a pair of sidecutters (wire cutters ground down so that they cut flush), which is a pain.

Miha has agreed to make some molds for us, if anyone is interested. I am awaiting some additional info from Miha, and then will post the group buy. He need a min of 5 molds to do this. More details as I get them.

DukeInFlorida
05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
My book that came with the Renegade (from T/C) recommends a .550" diameter round ball with the 56 caliber. That's all I ever used, and that's what I will make and use in the future.

I shoot a old .56 SB (1985 Renegade) and I use a .530 ball, and a .015 compressed patch.
It is fairly easy to load, and shoots just as well as any of my other Muzzleloaders out to 50 / 60 yards.

Think of it this way...a .56 smooth bore has a .560 bore and has no rifling or grooves to take up the excess patch.... the patch and ball has to be an almost exact fit.
Since a round ball has two sides, and the barrel of every muzzleloader has two sides, no matter which way you look at them.... you have to think, .015 + .015 + .530 = .560 (.560 being the exact bore diameter of the .56...at least most of the time.)

I have used .550 round ball from ToTW, but in order to use them I had to have a .005 / .006 patch which was way to thin.
I had to use a OP card (Over Powder Card) otherwise I would burn the patch pretty bad, even with mild loads.
(I still use a OP Card when I shoot over 90 gr. FFg...or 85gr FFFg....but that is very seldom any more.)

You can make that SB shoot as well as a rifled rifle, but it will take some experimenting on your part.
Patch thickness, lube, and powder charge seem to be a bit more "sensitive" for a smooth bore than with a rifled rifle.

Russ...

waksupi
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
With the Tanner molds, run them hot, and generally the sprue will break off when dropped from the mold.

RBak
05-09-2010, 06:10 PM
My book that came with the Renegade (from T/C) recommends a .550" diameter round ball with the 56 caliber. That's all I ever used, and that's what I will make and use in the future.

My book says the same thing as would all T/C books.

In your initial post you said, "I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.
Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold"?

I was only trying to be helpful by saying you didn't have to go without shooting just because you didn't have a .550 mould.

Sorry I bothered you, it certainly won't happen again.

Russ...

DukeInFlorida
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
No, I'm sorry, Russ, if we have mis-understood each other.

I'm one of those guys who would rather wait and get proper mold than make do with different sized balls, patches, etc. I understand the math involved with filling up the bore with ball diameter and patch thickness.

Again, my apologies.

Bottom line is that I have a used mold coming, and will hope to get four other people to also want a proper Miha mold, so that I can have a good mold for this gun.

My book says the same thing as would all T/C books.

In your initial post you said, "I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.
Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold"?

I was only trying to be helpful by saying you didn't have to go without shooting just because you didn't have a .550 mould.

Sorry I bothered you, it certainly won't happen again.

Russ...

outsidebear
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Give Larry Callahan a phone call at 636-475-7444 Pevely, MO
Or email him at callahanrifles@yahoo.com

He should be able to cut a bag mold for your needs, but of course
double check with him, before I commit him to making it! ha

In today's mail I just received a .562 bag mold for a North West Trade Gun.
Hope this helps.

outsidebear

Buzzard II
03-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Yeah, this is an older post, but none the less, I'm glad I bought a Lyman .550 RB mold when I bought my barrel. I almost passed on it, but said what the heck. I also bought a .530 mold so I'm covered either way. Now to find some patch material. If you find a proper size mold, buy it. Sometimes being too cheap will bite you on the butt.

LAGS
03-30-2019, 10:56 PM
I was having trouble finding a .550 mold for my TC .56 Renagade smooth bore.
And the accuracy was only Fair with a .535 RB.
So I opted to send the barrel to Bob Hoyt two weeks ago and have it bored and rifled to .610.
Then I will use a Lee .600 ball with .010 or .015 thick patch.
I had picked up the barrel and stock for next to nothing a few years back.
So I have wiggle room in the cost of what I invest in the additional work to the rifle.

Michael J. Spangler
03-30-2019, 11:35 PM
My LGS has a Lyman 2 cavity which looks to be NOS

RBak
03-31-2019, 03:39 AM
The T/C .550 ain't much to look at, but it is a good mould....should you ever luck into one.
And, they throw a true .550
The actual part number is 7355.
I have quite a few Muzzleloaders, but none of them is any more unforgiving and faithful than that old Renegade .56 smoothie, plus its super accurate with a round ball.
Shooting shot is a breeze too, with good constant patterns.
IIRC, the recommended load of shot is only 7/8oz, which is fine for "Skwerl" and small game, but mine truly shines with 1.25oz and has taken quite a few Grouse, Quail, and Chuckars.

https://i.imgur.com/YI03tXh.jpg

Buzzard II
03-31-2019, 08:33 AM
LAGS, Michael J. Spangler, RBak,
Thanks for your input! What patch thickness and brand are you using with the .530 and .550 molds? Thanks very much!
Bob

Maven
03-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Buzzard II, Not any of the above, but I too have a Renegade SB and a .550" Lyman RB mold, which actually casts a .550" pure Pb ball. For the .550" RB, I use .010" (compressed) 100% cotton fabric I purchased at Joann Fabrics: It's a snug fit + I add a card stock OP wad (never had a burned out patch). While it never occurred to me to try the .530" RB, I do on occasion use a .535" RB with either a .018" or .021" patch. Accuracy, however, hasn't been as good with the smaller ball/tight patch combination.

Unfortunately, the .550" RB is somewhat of an odd duck, so you'll have to watch your favorite auction sites or post a WTB notice in the Swapping & Selling sub-forum. Btw, the old T/C molds, though aluminum, are excellent, but difficult to find in .550".

Buzzard II
03-31-2019, 10:19 AM
Maven,
Thank you for the good info. I got the .550 mold from the gentleman I bought the barrel from. I almost passed it up. WOW, glad I bought it.
Bob

LAGS
03-31-2019, 10:36 AM
I was using a .535 ball with a .015 Cotton patch.
I also used some 28 ga.
Shotgun wads for shooting shot , loaded over a felt wad.
The rifle was just too heavy for Wing Shooting.
And here in the desert , game doesn't sit where you can really get even semi aimed shots.
A running rabbit was hard to hit for me.

Maven
03-31-2019, 11:07 AM
You're most welcome, Buzzard. Glad you found a .550" mold as well!

RBak
03-31-2019, 02:12 PM
I was using a .535 ball with a .015 Cotton patch.
I also used some 28 ga.
Shotgun wads for shooting shot , loaded over a felt wad.
The rifle was just too heavy for Wing Shooting.
And here in the desert , game doesn't sit where you can really get even semi aimed shots.
A running rabbit was hard to hit for me.

Pretty much the same as LAGS....I did, back in the early days, end up with some .022 sail cloth which worked okay.
Still yet, nothing beats a good pure lead .550 with a .012 patch, hard to start (at least for me) but just as accurated as a rifled rifle out to 50 yds....can't say much about anything further than that.

LAGS
03-31-2019, 04:13 PM
That was that smooth bores only downfall.
I wanted a Big Caliber that would reach out past 100 yards for Elk.
Our Forests aren't that thick here.
So a shot at 50 yards is not too often, and getting within 100 yards takes time.
Rifling the barrel to .61 cal. "MAY" give me a little more accuracy past 100 yards

RBak
03-31-2019, 10:14 PM
I would like very much to hear more about this.
I know what you're thinking, I think, but I would still like to hear from you how this project goes.

LAGS
04-01-2019, 12:11 AM
There is another member Edward that already has the same rifle up and running.
You may want to PM him if you are in a hurry for the information.
I was going to have my barrel bored and rifled to .62 and use a .61 RB.
But after talking to Bob Hoyt And Edward I decided to go with the .61 bore in 1:66 twist

toot
04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
PM, sent.

DukeInFlorida
04-03-2019, 04:05 PM
I have done some PM's back and forth with Toot. The long and the short of it is that since that original post was made, back in May of 2010 (almost 9 years ago!), I have secured a couple of 56 caliber round ball molds. One is a single cavity in brass that I got from a guy in England. You have to cut the sprue off those balls with a side cutter. I also got, in a MP-Molds group buy, a fourt cavity mold, with the sprue cutter plate. So, I now have the ability to make those round balls at will. Side note: Since the round ball molds are made by MP-Molds by using a standard ball type end mill, he doesn't need a massive qty for any group buys. Check directly with Miha if you need one.

Buzzard II
04-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Duke In Florida,
Thanks for the good info! I have my molds, but I'm sure there are others needing them.

4570cannon
11-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Duke, Just use .535 dia RB's, patch with heavy cotton denim or canvas material. I had a
TC Renegade in .54 that could shoot two in groups at fifty yards. My buddie bought the
Smooth bore .56 Renegade and patching with old tent canvas .025 thick with .535 RB's
would shoot the same. I would try the .530 RB as well, to see what your gun likes.
webfoot10

I have that same issue although I have enough 56 balls to carry me into the next millenium. However that being said.... I miked the balls I have and they are all 545 or 540's with either a 15 or a 20 thousands patch...which when added up is 560 The Tekoa Mountain balls I have left are all 540's with a 20 thousands dry patch. I spit patch those. The other brand ...is a 545 ball with a 15 thousands lubed patch. That's what I have, that's what i'll look for. I have a ton of 54 cal balls I need to melt into 56 cal.

ogre
11-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Marty's Arms will sell you a .550 RB mold if that is what you want. I own one of their molds to make #2 buckshot and am very happy with it.

https://www.martysarms.com

Geezer in NH
11-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Uh 10 year old post.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?427420-DukeInFlorida-RIP

I miss him. May he be on the big range having fun.

bedbugbilly
11-17-2021, 09:35 PM
Late to the dance here - a while ago I was looking for an odd size Rb mold - someone suggested Moose Molds - I didn't find the size I needed but they did list a bunch of RB molds they make - don't know what is on their menu now but you might check them just for curiosity sake.

Jim