PDA

View Full Version : New iron-sight technology???

BruceB
05-07-2010, 11:15 AM
For generations, shooters using iron sights have struggled with the impossible task of focusing on two or three different objects at vastly different distances.

Something new is coming, namely, a sight element that shows BOTH target and front sight IN FOCUS at the same time. This may be the solution to the problems presented by aging eyesight. It is supposed to cost less than red-dot sights, weigh less than an ounce, and add no bulk to the firearm.

For a detailed article and explanation, do a google search for "inl gunsight". INL is Idaho National Laboratory, a high-tech outfit working in many scientific fields.

If this sight pans out, it could revolutionize iron-sight shooting. See what you think.

257 Shooter
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Bruce that is a pretty cool article. I think it could take pistol shooting to a whole new level of accuracy.

The Double D
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
This is pretty cool...I don't know if it would take pistol shooting to a new level of accuracy, but it sure would be a boon to my tired eyes!

3006guns
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh PLEASE let this be real! It's frustrating having your sights look like fuzzy spaghetti............

I'm even starting to have trouble with aperature sights. When I look though the rear sight I SWEAR there is a piece of fuzz or lint at the 7 o'clock position. I take the rifle from my shoulder and....nope, no fuzz. Rats!

pdawg_shooter
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I want one !!!

cheese1566
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1269&mode=2&featurestory=DA_549448

cbrick
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Very interesting indeed. It would seem that either this sight would need to be mounted at a specific place on the firearm or you would need a specific sight for various barrel lengths. Maybe, maybe not, be very interesting to see how this pans out. I bookmarked both of the websites so I can keep an eye on it.

Since this is a lens will different sanctioning bodies look at this differently and some ban this sight in open sight competition? That would be my luck.

Thanks for posting this Bruce. Could it be that I could compete again?

Rick

Mumblypeg
05-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh PLEASE let this be real! It's frustrating having your sights look like fuzzy spaghetti............

I'm even starting to have trouble with aperature sights. When I look though the rear sight I SWEAR there is a piece of fuzz or lint at the 7 o'clock position. I take the rifle from my shoulder and....nope, no fuzz. Rats!

You've got the same sight that I do!

Echo
05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Bruce - great article.

jhrosier
05-07-2010, 08:51 PM
....Since this is a lens will different sanctioning bodies look at this differently and some ban this sight in open sight competition? ....

Rick,
I believe that the various "sanctioning bodies" are slowly realizing that without us blind old farts, most competitive shooting would be dead.

That might tend to make them somewhat more responsive to our situation. After all, is target shooting about visual ability or shooting ability? If the former, just give eye tests and award the trophy to whomever can see better.

Jack

Doc Highwall
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
They allow Gehmann and Anschutz eye pieces with diopters as they have no magnification like a scope.

AZ-Stew
05-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I can't imagine the sanctioning bodies NOT deeming this an "optical" sight. It uses principles of physics related to messing with light's normal tendency to travel in a straight line.

That said, I'm fascinated with the concept. When I saw one of the illustrations, I immediately thought, "Fresnel", and was happy to see later in the article that Msr. Fresnel had something to do with the principles involved.

Very interesting concept. It will be interesting to see in what form the commercial sights appear.

Regards,

Stew

Lee
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Ummm the principles messing with physics optical will ispsc or ispca or spca or any other "sanctioning bodies" have anything to say if it makes me hit my intended easier? Duh?? you all want to play at practicing at targets ??? or do you want any edge available to stop the perp trying to do you wrong??
Gimme any edge on the perp. Target boys? Make up your own subsection c-b.a.123 Part 123.A-OSHA EPA protection plan rules as you go along.
Sheeeeeesh....when will it stop? Sorry am I missing something?
Shoot straight..........

cbrick
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry am I missing something?

Umm, hhmmm, well, uh . . .

Yes!

Rick

captaint
05-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Thank you Bruce. I am gonna want one...or some!!! enjoy Mike

a.squibload
05-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks Bruce, interesting. I went to Dictionary.com twice!

I'm not up on competition rules. Are peepsights allowed?
Technically a peepsight is a lens, even though there is no glass in the hole.
Diffractive principles apply, not refractive. Test diffractive principles by looking JUST over the top
of your glasses frame at the TV or some object across the room.
If your line of sight is very close to the close object (glasses frame), you will get a lens effect sharpening focus of the far object.
Ever seen the Eagle Eye sunglasses ad on TV? Same principle, the "lens" is full of tiny holes.
Bad part is that the diffractive principle helps focus but "spreads" the light, robbing intensity. Doesn't matter in broad daylight.
Looks like the INL concept compensates for that anyway.

I think it might be hard to write a set of rules allowing this type of sight but not others, unless there is no magnification?
How about corrective lenses, if they are allowed I don't see the INL sight as any different.
The INL patent covers use in contact lenses, spectacles, and implants too. Won't need the sight if you get the contacts!

AZ-Stew
05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Ummm the principles messing with physics optical will ispsc or ispca or spca or any other "sanctioning bodies" have anything to say if it makes me hit my intended easier? Duh?? you all want to play at practicing at targets ??? or do you want any edge available to stop the perp trying to do you wrong??
Gimme any edge on the perp. Target boys? Make up your own subsection c-b.a.123 Part 123.A-OSHA EPA protection plan rules as you go along.
Sheeeeeesh....when will it stop? Sorry am I missing something?
Shoot straight..........

The direction of the discussion at the time was toward competition shooting, not combat shooting.

For combat shooting, I prefer a Sherman tank, but they're so damned hard to conceal.

Regards,

Stew

whisler
05-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I want one. No, no, no, I need one and I need it right now.

Doc Highwall
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
This is what I use for match shooting and is legal for NRA competition. It is made by Anschutz and you can get it from Champions Choice. It has + or - 3.5 diopters plus 5 colored filters and 2 polarizers along with a variable aperture.

a.squibload
05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I dogpiled "Anschutz art. 9575" and came up with a catalog:

http://www.qualifire.com/xms/files/marcas/ahg-ANSCHUTZ%20-%20Catalogue%202005-2006%20eng.pdf

Some amazing stuff.