PDA

View Full Version : Daughter Self-defense Outing...

BruceB
05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
She'll soon be setting up housekeeping alone in her new home in Reno, to attend University of Nevada Reno.

As can be imagined, there are many sorts of preparation to be made, and we took one step at the range today.

Her "house shotgun" is a new 870, 18" cylinder-choke barrel, high-vis sights, pistol grip as well as shoulder stock. Her main service pistol (CCW permit soon-to-come) is a Springfield Micro 1911A1 3" .45, backed up by her K-38 and Ruger P95 for home duty.

We set up my new steel IPSC silhouette at about 20 yards, and she really gave it a workout. About 40 rounds of 12-gauge, half sporting-clays 7.5s and the other half WW 9-pellet OO Buckshot, had me re-painting the target frequently. She was deadly, including some 10-foot hip-shooting on a cardboard IPSC target. This was an excellent opportunity to discuss "rat-hole" wounds...the open holes were about 2.5" across.

What really impressed me was her shooting with the little .45, using 452374 round-noses at factory speed, about 850 fps from a 5" barrel (a bit less from her 3-incher). About 200 rounds went downrange. Her typical 7-round groups were running about four inches and well-centered from 20 yards, fired quickly to slide-lock. I asked if she wanted to move closer, and she said, "No, if I'm hitting well from here, why move up?" 'Nuff said! The refresher in handling, loading mags, manipulating controls on both long and short guns, was almost as important as the actual shooting, in my book. By the time we finished today, EVERYTHING was surer and more competently done.

I also had her fire a few dozen rounds from my Mini-14, mostly for a break, but also for future reference as needed.

I am now more-certain of her skills if needed, and so is she. She's seen plenty of blood and guts already, and is no shrinking violet by any description. Given half a chance, she will quickly dis-abuse any goblin with designs on her life or home. You folks coming to the Nevada Shoot will have a chance to meet her, as far as I know.

I feel GOOD!

Shiloh
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Good for both of you Bruce.

It has to be reassuring to know that she has the confidence and determination to do what needs to be done if the unthinkable happens.

Shiloh

gray wolf
05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Very well done, I wont sleep walk in her area.
Sounds like you had a nice day and a productive one.

Sam

05-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Quite a lady. A proud father, too, I bet.

Wayne Smith
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Bruce, I'm assuming that she will NOT be living on campus?? What's the concealed carry situation on campus there? Basically verbotan here.

Matt_G
05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a very productive and enjoyable day Bruce.
Have you tried any SWC's like the Lyman 452460 thru that .45?
Just curious...

ghh3rd
05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Peace of mind for you knowing that she is prepared.

BruceB
05-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Good morning!

She was an only child, now a rather independent-minded adult (to say the VERY least), and would NOT do well in a dormitory setting.

We've obtained a house for her very close to the campus, only a 5-minute drive from her door, and I suspect there won't be any housemates. On-campus carry is a subject I haven't researched as yet, but I'd bet that the admin won't look kindly on armed students. We'll see. The gun can accompany her in the Jeep Liberty she'll be driving, anyway.

A few years ago, after about forty years of casting for the .45 ACP, I decided to adopt the 452374 (230 RN) as my sole design for the .45. All the other .45 moulds were sold off. There are still perhaps as many as a thousand loaded rounds with 452460 (200 SWC) on the shelf, so maybe I should try some out of curiosity.

The little gun runs perfectly with the 452374, and also with the selected "business" load, Federal's 230-grain Hydra-Shok. She likes it, and that's the important thing.

sqlbullet
05-07-2010, 10:09 AM
One nice thing about Utah...CCW holders can carry on campus!

And, the U of U really isn't that far east of Reno.

Matt_G
05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
One nice thing about Utah...CCW holders can carry on campus!

And, the U of U really isn't that far east of Reno.

Big difference between in state and out of state tuition though...

There are still perhaps as many as a thousand loaded rounds with 452460 (200 SWC) on the shelf, so maybe I should try some out of curiosity.

The little gun runs perfectly with the 452374, and also with the selected "business" load, Federal's 230-grain Hydra-Shok. She likes it, and that's the important thing.

Amen to that Bruce. I'd want to see the Springfield run a couple of hundred of the 452460's without any glitches at all before I called it my go to carry load.
Glad to hear she likes the gun and the load, and uses the combo very well. :)

looseprojectile
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I have always said all girls should be issued a fortyfive when they turn fourteen along with a couple of cases of ammo.
There should be a federal tax penalty for people that don't own a gun when they turn 18. My daughter really was bummed when I traded off my Daewoo DR 200.
I have tried to make it up to her with an AR 15 carbine. She can go through an amazing amount of ammo. She loves the AMT Automag ll . She is a deadly shooter.
The boys all became good riflemen. Oldest son was on the National Gard rifle team. Youngest son was a Major in the Airforce and laments the fact that officers are not required to qualify with small arms.
Life is good

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Reading this makes me smile! :bigsmyl2:

9.3X62AL
05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Anyone meeting Bruce's daughter Kim is impressed immediately. She is close to my own height (6'2"), and no element of her person or personality even REMOTELY suggests 'victim'. I've seen her firing revolvers, pistols, and long arms--in short, she is a predator's worst nightmare.

BruceB
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
As I suspected, UNR prohibits "carrying possessing or using" firearms on any university property or property "controlled" by the university.

This means that even having a handgun in one's vehicle is prohibited if that vehicle is parked on the university grounds.

I waded through several of their on-line publications before finding this info in the fine print of the student handbook.

Maybe have to go to off-site parking, if such is even available. Not much point to starting university only to be turfed out with a possible criminal record.

Hmmm....

Shiloh
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Anyone meeting Bruce's daughter Kim is impressed immediately. She is close to my own height (6'2"), and no element of her person or personality even REMOTELY suggests 'victim'. I've seen her firing revolvers, pistols, and long arms--in short, she is a predator's worst nightmare.

There are a lot of folks refusing to be victims. I hope Kim will have an influence on some of the other students. Male and female alike.

Shiloh

35remington
05-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Given the problem with slide travel a 3 inch 1911 has, I'd really think twice before using it as a self defence piece. Bolt over base misfeeds are only a slight bit of spring fatigue away, whether it be the magazine or recoil spring. Just cannot recommend them from my point of view. Too much of a design compromise, and too little latitude in design functionality to work when Mr. Murphy makes his presence known.

Congratulations on her level of expertise.....I'm sure someone taught her well!

wire nut
05-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I went through the same with my daughter. She graduates tommorrow from Eastern Ky Univ. with a magor in premedicine Biology. She lives 2 minutes from campus but can't carry or have in her car her handgun.
Whats funny is she has friends that refuse to go any where with her because she is packing.Her boyfriend grips also but she tells him to just get use to it.
I gave my daughter a couple of cans of mace and a good big knife to keep in her purse when she can't pack.

MtGun44
05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Nice to know there are a few more competent women out there.

Well done, Sir and pass on a big thumbs up to your daughter.

thenaaks
05-07-2010, 09:27 PM
+1 on the mace and a pocketknife.

kimber has some neat "less lethal" options. not as effective as flying lead, but better than nothing

Wayne Smith
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Bruce, even with those restrictions she can have it in her vehicle if it is locked in a not easily accessable location such as a glove box and ammunition is not with it. I know of no place that prohibits the carry of a filled magazine!

HeavyMetal
05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
The down side of a gun left in the vehicle is theft, however there are carSafes and I might get one if I was faced with such balony as the universites preach.

Unless someone knows the pistol is there, and thus "rats" her out, it really should never be a problem. Of course if a need arises as soon as the dust settles some arm chair flat foot is gonna ask her where she got the gun and then we got an open can of worms to deal with!

I tell ya Bruce I have family in the Carson Miden area and crime there is not quite the same as it is here in LA.

You alway want to do whats best for your kids but in this case she may have to depend on other weapons skills while on campus.

However, and mind you this is just a brain storming idea, is campus security allowed to pack?

If so perhaps a stint as a "security guard" might look good on the Ole "permanent record" / resume?

1Shirt
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Ya raised her right Bruce! A tip of the derby to ya!
1Shirt!

Elkins45
05-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I went through the same with my daughter. She graduates tommorrow from Eastern Ky Univ. with a magor in premedicine Biology. She lives 2 minutes from campus but can't carry or have in her car her handgun.
Whats funny is she has friends that refuse to go any where with her because she is packing.Her boyfriend grips also but she tells him to just get use to it.
I gave my daughter a couple of cans of mace and a good big knife to keep in her purse when she can't pack.

EKU had the same rule back in the 80's when I was a student there---this was before we had a CCW law here. I carried a revolver in my truck anyway.

Now that we have CCW I think I might carry on campus anyway with a permit. It's an administrative prohibition, not a legal one I believe. I seem to remember that you can get in trouble with the University if you're caught, but not with the law. I need to read the regulations again to be sure on that.

Your daughter's boyfriend sounds like a commie. What kind of girly man would complain about a girl having a gun? That's two of my favorite things combined---like chocolate and peanut butter :mrgreen:

WHITETAIL
05-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I tip my hat to you and your daughter!:cool:
Both me and my wife have CCP.
My daughter does not but she can shoot.
She started when she was 6 and now is 29.:holysheep

Recluse
05-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I carried a S&W Mod 66 4" every single day I went to college after getting out of the military. Nobody ever knew about it. That's the beauty of those student backpacks. I used to laugh at the geeks who carried them, but my first week of lugging books around like a "stud," showed me how stooopid I was.

I went to a sporting goods store and bought a GOOD Eddie Bauer backpack sturdy enough to carry books and a gun. I still have that pack to this day and will probably pass it on to my own daughter.

All through college, I drove a pickup truck that wasn't an extended cab. I installed a gun safe behind the seat. That was THE best $100 investment I ever made (the safe, not the truck :)). I could keep my shotgun and/or deer rifle in there and leave straight from campus to go hunting; I could keep other valuables in there, etc. Nobody was ever the wiser that there was a gun safe in that truck.

Helping matters was that it was an old and kinda run down looking truck on the outside. Hell, I was as poor as they got back then. But mechanically, that truck was perfect and I got many a grease stain and burn keeping it that way. Since it was old looking, it was also never targeted for a break-in.

They make all kinds of cute ways to hide guns these days. I've picked up several things for my own little lady to help in that regard:

--A daytimer that has a VERY concealed holster in it. She can open up that daytimer and flip through it, make notes, etc and nobody would ever suspect that there is a little S&W Airweight 38 lurking in there.

--The classic "book safe" which is a book of "literature" in which the pages have been precision cut to match the frame of whichever pistol you're wanting to hide in the book. I used one of these to hide my Mod 66 in at home. A girlfriend of mine back in the day made one herself to keep her handgun stored in while living in the dorm.

In Texas, I can't get the kid a CHL until she turns 21--two more years from now. But never having been one to follow the stupidassed law when it comes to how appropriately one can defend themselves against the lawless. . . I have schooled and schooled and schooled the kid on how to covertly carry and handle the weapon.

She'd make James Bond proud. :)

I'd much rather her get kicked out of school for legally protecting herself than get kicked out of life for following the rules and having a perpetual rulebreaker end her life.

:coffee:

TCLouis
05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
BruceB

Offsite parking just makes the unarmed walk further!

wire nut
05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Elkin45 her boyfriend is not a commie. He was raised on a farm in madison county. I ask why he didn't want her to pack and she said he was afraid of her. I don't blame him. I have no doughts what soever that if she pulls that she will pull the trigger.
She has been shooting since she was 2 yrs old. 2 days after her 21st birthday she took her ccw class. It was fun watching her outshoot most of the men with her j frame 38.

Catshooter
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Congratulations on having a fine daughter. You had to have done an excellent job as a parent.

Concealed means concealed.

Cat