PDA

View Full Version : Just had a scare--new truck is blessed

gray wolf
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
The wife is still shook up, trying to calm her down.
No we were not in the truck or an accident. Our beautiful new old truck sits in our drive way for us to admire.
Well we were out on the deck trying to figure out a way to put up a tarp so I could cast without getting rained on and all of a sudden the wind came up out of no place. We folded up the tarp and headed indoors, the wife runs to the shed for something and I am in the house.
all of a sudden I hear a loud crack and the wife is yelling for the dog who was on her cable and under the truck. Down comes a 50 foot Poplar tree, crashes on top
of Ashly's cable, cracks the 12 foot 4x4 pressure treated post ( I just put up )
and smashes clear across the whole back of the truck, one side and over to the next.
Got the wife and the dog in the house and checked the truck.
MEN !!! not a mark on it, not a scratch. I do and I don't believe it. That truck is our pride and joy and is so much more to us than just a ride to town.
We thank the Lord on this one. here are the pics.

Rock
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Time to drop a few of the weaker trees?

45nut
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Holey Moley,, what a ride!

bruce drake
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Yep,
Time to thin the trees out around the house a bit more. Just make sure the trees are cut to fall away from the house. No need to tempt fate twice.

Cast Boolit Trucks are impervious to things like rotted poplars.

Bruce

Matt_G
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Wow. :holysheep
The Lord certainly does work in mysterious ways. Blessed indeed. :)

gray wolf
05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
We have been telling the landlady for about 8 years now that those dead poplars need to come down. She had little to say about it other than it was going to cost her money to get it
taken care of.
And it's still blowing hard out there. Trees down all over the neighborhood. We have two down on top of a live wire next door. Waiting for the power company to come take care of that so the young pup doesn't get fried on it.....

Julie (who is none too pleased about the whole situation because it should not have happened if the landlady had taken care of the dead trees)

lathesmith
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
grey wolf, following some of your posts the last several months has reminded me that in life, we all have lots of luck, and it's usually a mixed bag. It just seems like we all go through stretches where it seems like we have a lot more bad luck than good luck, and you've had your share of that lately. I'm glad to see that the luck you had today seems to be of the good variety, and I hope that you have started a trend and that it stays that way!

lathesmith

wistlepig1
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Glade no one was hurt, thats the main thing!

milsurp mike
05-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Glad everyone is OK.Glad the Truck is OK also.Mike

05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Glad to hear that the two of you and the dogs are okay. Oh, the truck, too. Perhaps, now, the landlady will tend to the trees. If you have a chainsaw, maul and wedges, there's plenty of firewood laying there.

Cherokee
05-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Glad all is well. We do see some great things from time to time.

wills
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
We have been telling the landlady for about 8 years now that those dead poplars need to come down. She had little to say about it other than it was going to cost her money to get it
taken care of.

And how much does she think it will cost her if one falls on you?

gray wolf
05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
NO firewood. The tree was punky, full of water like a sponge. Even dried out it won't burn worth a hoot. Nope, just a pain to deal with in trying to get rid of it. Nobody wants punky stuff like that.
Now, if she had cut them down back when they were almost dead, you could have used them for firewood. Now they are just trouble with no where to get rid of them. The dump won't even take them unless they are cut up into 16 inch pieces.

Going to get rid of the stuff in the yard by cutting it up and pushing it into the woods. Then GW and I will put up yet another 4x4 for the dog. This is the 3rd time that dead trees have taken it to the ground. It's getting a little old now. At least we know how to do it....

Julie

a.squibload
05-07-2010, 12:36 AM
You were inside, you missed Ashly jumping up and pushing the tree aside at the last minute, saving the truck! Extra table scraps are in order...

gray wolf
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
OH yea she gets the table scraps-- the darn two critters ate the better part of 3 deer and
part of a small bull moose this winter. I got to fight for a little meat.
I am amazed at the power in there jaws--should see the bones they make disappear.

Sam

SharpsShooter
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
That's typical performance of a Ford....now had it been a GM product, it would have collapsed from the slightest weight and required government intervention, an e.p.a. study to see if the falling of the tree caused a ecosystem disruption, a full investigation to determine if the said wind was a man caused incident and FEMA would have been dispatched to relocate all bugs residing in the tree and issue them checks and vouchers for their disaster claimed home.

But since it was a Ford, clean up the yard and life goes on huh? Glad you guys are ok. BTW my 92 Explorer has over 205,000 miles on it and is still going. They are tough vehicles.

SS

3006guns
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Typical Ford.......just shrugs these things off.

SharpShooter.........if your rig has 205 thou on it....it's just getting limbered up!

WILCO
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Glade no one was hurt, thats the main thing!

+1 for that! Cut the wood up and build a nice fire to relax with.

Freightman
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Got a Ford that I bought 21 years ago and told the wife I am going drive it til it wont run any more, I think it may be what I am buried in.

evan price
05-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Ask your land lady how much it will cost her when one of HER trees- that are standing dead and rotten and you reported to her was a problem and she did nothing about- falls on HER house or YOUR truck, how will she pay for the damages? Being as she's the property owner, it's her liability and even if she's insured, her rates go up.

Send her a certified letter describing the problem and asking for the trees to be removed, and keep a copy and the receipt. Tell her that unless she resolves the problem you will have the trees removed and deduct from her rent accordingly since the situation has become dangerous.

A landlord has a legal obligation to provide a property that is safe from hazards and fit for habitation.

We own property in the UP and every year I am thinning out the poplars because of this problem. Not much roots, and when they get so high they just die off and fall. Darn things just sprout like weeds though.

a.squibload
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, poplars grow fast, die fast.

Did you know 83% of all Fords are still on the road?

The Chevys made it home...:kidding:

squid1230
07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
And how much does she think it will cost her if one falls on you?

We had a neighbour once who's dead trees on the lot-line were dropping branches as thick as my arm where the kids play in the backyard. I approached the neighbour about cutting them down and he said the same thing " it costs too much".

If any of those branches hurt my kids, I would have taken my rifle next door and it would have cost him more than money.

Long story - short, I called the township by-law office ( hated doing it) and they put pressure on the guy.

TCLouis
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I leave dead trees in the woods for the critters, but around the house they gotta go on my terms so I know when and where they are going to land.

07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Long story - short, I called the township by-law office ( hated doing it) and they put pressure on the guy.

why would you hate doing it, beats the heck out of your beating him down or him hurting one of your kids. He's an :takinWiz:idiot that won't listen to reason, that is why we have local governments they gotta be good for something right, i mean they're bad for a lot of things. [smilie=l:

to the OP: Man i'm glad you are okay!