PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tank Adapter Question

Fugowii
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
I befriended the manager or our local recycling area and I was describing the process
of converting lead into boolits and when I brought up the propane tank he suggested
that I check out the propane tank recycling area as people are always putting in full
or half full tanks from discarded BBQ cookers. The only problem I see with this is that
the adapter for my turkey cooker propane tank seems quite different from the adapter
on the BBQ propane tanks. Is there such a thing as a converter that I could use to
take advantage of free propane? :bigsmyl2:

Lead Fred
05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Cabela's is where I got mine

cheese1566
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Before you buy, check over a few old tanks to see if anyone left one on the discarded tank.

:idea:Check your local hardware store or RV dealership. They sell 'em.

In my previous life, I worked in a hardware store for 12 years. When the new tank valve designs came out, we sold a ton of adapters.

dragonrider
05-06-2010, 09:30 AM
If the valve has internal and exteral threads you don't need an adapter.

sheepdog
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Cabela's is where I got mine

+1. Runs about $20.

Typecaster
05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
If the valve has internal and exteral threads you don't need an adapter.

Not exactly true. If the burner regulator has the Acme thread (outside) hose and the tank valve has the old POL (Prest-O-Lite internal) thread, you need the adapter. If the regulator has the male POL fitting, like an acetylene regulator, it can be used with either style of tank valve. There is still a POL female thread inside the new valves.

If NFPA approves special composite propane tanks for cabinet heaters used indoors, you're gonna be SOL…they will have a completely different valve arrangement to prevent conventional BBQ-style tanks from being used indoors.

Richard

Johnch
05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
And when you empty the free propane out of the tank

I take them to a store that exchanges tanks
You pay throught the nose for the propane , as localy they only put 16 lb in the tank

But then you will have a extra new style tank , you can then sell them if you get to many

I did this a number of times , as tons of people sat old grills along the road for the garbage man
But they refused to take propane tanks
So I was nice and picked them up

We smelted well over 2 ton of range lead several years back , all with free propane

John