PDA

View Full Version : Lube-sizer question??

tech413
05-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi all, totally new to this board and to casting, so here goes.

I've been reloading rifle for quite some time and have recently started shooting pistol alot more. I want to start casting which lead me here. I have found a great supply of lead here in Ontario, WW and range lead because no one else seems to cast. My question is, I want to get Lee 6 cavity molds for 9mm and .45. I also would like to use the lyman or RCBS lube sizers but don't know about top punches. Is there any cross reference to use RCBS or Lyman top punches with bullets from Lee molds? This may have been covered before, if so, could someone please refer me to it cause I can't find it. And what can you guys suggest for a lube sizer?

Thanks

RobS
05-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Here is a what a few members have put together:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29492&highlight=top+punch+chart

Also a compiled list of top punches along with a bunch of other info is at:

http://castpics.net/

Hope this may help you out

mtgrs737
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
First of all "Welcome to the Forum" I wish you a long and prosperous stay! You will find the folks here knowlegable and hepful in this great hobby! It looks like RobS has given you some links to the top punch cross ref. so I would like to say that I have both Lyman 450 and star lubersizers and I like them a bunch. I have no experiance with the RCBS unit but have read that they are very good also. I also have no experiance with the Saeco unit but would not be afraid to try one were it not for the need for new dies. The Lyman and RCBS size dies and top punches interchange which is nice. My favorite is the Star units, as they are much faster but they are trickyer to set up. I would keep my eye open for a Lyman 450 as they often are listed here for sale. Lathesmith and Buckshot can make you dies and top punches at a savings. Visit Lar's stuff at the bottom of the page for the excellent White Lable Lube at a price that runs less than half of the others. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

tech413
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Now I just have to decide on what molds to order. There are too many to choose from and I'd hate to get something that my guns won't like. I have a G17 with a stock barrel for now, I want to try shooting lead with it, if it doesn't work, then I will buy a barrel for it. Is there any molds you guys would suggest for this? Thanks

RobS
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Depending on your barrel's groove diameter, but if it is "normal" for a 9X19 then here are a few that Lee Precision carries and will be your least expensive route:

356-120-TC - Truncated design
TL356-124-TC - Tumble Lube design; a brother to the one above
356-125-2R - round nose design

A note to Lee molds; the six cavity molds are much better quality although the double cavity molds can work too.

I would personally look at the traditional bullet lube groove designs and get yourself a lube/sizer of some sort as there is better lube properties or at least that is my experiences. Also the round nose design will give you the best feeding/cycling possibilities where as the truncated design will give you a bit of a flat meplat (nose of the bullet) which could be considered as making a larger wound channel if you plan on hunting. Should you only be using it for practice etc then I would go with the round nose design.

A way to possibly see what your gun likes without purchasing a mold you can go to the Bullet Exchange section and ask if you can pick up 20 or so samples of the bullet you are thinking of experimenting with. Most people will cast up some for next to nothing and usually only ask for shipping.

Here is the link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

spqrzilla
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
If you just want to start out trying casting, you don't have to buy a lubesizer and worry about top punches. Just buy a Lee sizing die which mounts on a reloading press and pushes bullets through by the base. These are inexpensive, especially if you will only need one or few sizing diameters.

tech413
05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks again guys, I like it here already.

I think I'll go with the round nose because hunting with a pistol is illegal here in good ol' Canada (it sucks). Thanks for the info on the molds, I was planing on a 6 cavity as I'll be loading for me, my brother and a buddy, and we shoot alot now.

As for the sizer, I think I'll go with a lube-sizer, just because of the symplicity of one step lubing and sizing. I just don't know which one to go with, the Lyman or the RCBS, has one been better than the other, or are they both safe bets?

RobS
05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
They are both the same process in that the bullet goes down and then has to be pushed back up. As to which one is better they are about the same really. The only difference is that RCBS will stand by their products no matter what (excellent customer service). Not saying that Lyman doesn't either, but I have read enough to know that Lyman sometimes feels like assisting a customer and sometimes not. With that I wouldn't hesitate to pickup a used Lyman 450 or 4500 in good condition for $60 to $100.

tech413
05-07-2010, 01:15 AM
After doing some more research, reading and watching videos, I think I'll go with a Star lube-sizer, seems like a much faster process. With the quantity of loads I'll be doing, speed will be important. Is the heater necessary? And is a bullet feeder worth the extra$$?? Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

RobS
05-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Magma Star is the quickest but not the simplest to set up (not that it is hard you just need to write things down when you have it set). Anyway you will need a heater if you ever plan on using harder lubes, but it is way cheaper to pick yourself up an iron from the thrift store for a few bucks or even Wal-Mart for around $5 I think it was. Next you will need to find a metal/machine shop where you can pick yourself up a 1/4" piece of aluminum that is wide enough for your sizer and long enough to set the iron on. You will probably have $25 dollars into it all and you will have a temperature controlled heater. I set mine up so there were spacers and large fender washers between my table and the aluminum sheet so as to keep the heat off the wood of the table.

If you are going to lube a ton of bullets and have the bucks the Magma Star is the way to go. As for the bullet feeder.........it depends on if you are going to shoot tons or not. I can't see the need for one as you put a bullet in and pull the lever and it's over.