PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sizing die in Lee single stage press?

Rusty Parker
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Apologies in advance if this is a question that has been asked and answered before, but I've just spent the last hour doing various searches here and can't find what I'm looking for.

I was given a Lyman .515 sizing die and I am wondering if there is a way of using it in my Lee single stage press? What kind of adapter do I need to lock it into place on my press? I plan on pan lubing so getting a Lubra Sizer is out for the moment.

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry if this is a dumb question that's been asked before.

Jim T.

Dale53
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
IF you were a machinist and had a lathe, it would be a rather simple matter to make an adapter to do this (it would only take about a half a day:cry:). I know of no one that offers such an adapter.

Lee sizing kits to fit a single stage press sells for $15.49 at Midway. However, the largest that Lee offers in their standard dies is .510". Lee will make you a custom size to your specs for $25.00 + shipping of $4.00. That is probably your best bet.

I have a Star luber/sizer as well as Lyman and RCBS lube/sizers. However, on occasion I have used a Lee sizing kit (it is a SUPERIOR way to size large, soft bullets for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles) a great deal. They work just fine.

You can just tumble lube or, as I have done, pan lube then size. It can be surprising quick and efficient.

FWIW
Dale53

Rusty Parker
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I'm trying to make this work as a temporary measure, I can probably get a custom .515 sizing die for the Lee press in a couple of weeks from a vendor at an upcoming shoot. But I've got a new gun and want to get on paper this weekend to start dialing it in. This was the only die available on short notice.

I'm also not against getting a lubrasizer, I just don't have the extra cash at the moment because of paying for the gun. So if I can make this work somehow . . .

Elkins45
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Can you weld? I'm not aware of any commercial solution, but about 20 years ago I made a Lee-type push thru sizer for .278 (Lee didn't make one in that diameter) for a standard reloading press. I welded the ejection rod for the Lyman H&I die to a spare shell holder and welded the die body to a big flat washer and made a bushing to hold it centered in the press. I did the welding with everything assembled and lined up in the press, of course.

It seemed to work OK, but that H&I die would never be able to be used in a lubrisizer again. I used it to size and seat gas checks on pan lubed bullets. I suppose I still have it somewhere, though I haven't seen it in quite a few years.

pjh421
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Low-tech approach:
Take an as-cast boolit and make a dummy cartridge. If it chambers then load a few live rounds with as-cast tumble/pan lubed boolits. It should shoot just fine.
Next, order the Lee die in .510" and hone it out to .515" or whatever with a brass rod wrapped in wet-or-dry if you still need a sizer. You just roll the die on your pant leg to get the abrasive paper to cut. I used a v-belt to make it go faster and to save my pants.

Paul

StarMetal
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Go to your fasteners place and buy a 7/8x14 bolt. Buy one long enough to thread into your press. Then have it drilled out, but not all the way, so that the Lyman die fits inside it, and not tight. Lose probably is better. Make sure to have a hole drilled through so that the sized bullet can pass through. The die can be held in place with sticky lube or if you're mechanical you can think of a way to hold it. You will need to make yourself a push through rod and it must be long enough to push the bullet all the way through. If you buy a long enough 7/8ths bolt the Lyman die can actually be positioned on the top of the press and that will still give you the camming leverage of your press.

Now a real jury rigged idea is find a piece of tubing or pipe that the lyman die won't fit into and use your vice to press the bullets through using a rod. If you have a machinist vice they have smooth jaws and you can actually start the bullet without any rod first. With good eyes and finger dexterity you can align the bullet quite accurately and the Lyman die does have a tapered lead in to center the bullet.

Rusty Parker
05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the various ideas. I'm pretty sure I can get a push through die made, although maybe not quickly enough to get the gun ready for this next shoot. I'm going to call one or two places tomorrow within driving distance to see if anyone has a die ready to go in this size, otherwise I'm thinking I'll go ahead and buy the Lyman press and get going on it. After all, what's another toy in the shop? (don't answer that) Anyway, thanks for the quick responses, I'll try to post back with results once the gun goes bang.

thanks again,
Jim

Rusty Parker
05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Just thought I'd update you all--I ended up getting the Lyman lube sizer after all, Cabelas had it for $125 and I had it overnighted. It showed up this morning and I was able to crank out some rounds and the new gun is now on paper. Again, I appreciate all the ideas from you all, in the end it really came down to me wanting to get this gun ready for competition quickly.

Haven't messed with the luber yet, just sized them and pan lubed. But I may play with the luber tonight some.

anyway, that's where it stands at the moment.
Jim

beagle
05-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Look at castpics/Articles by Members/Nose First Sizing.

It's doeable and in fact for the last 6 or 8 years, I've use that method on all my rifle bullets as they turn out straight instead of with deformed noses and bent bullets.

Even a Lyman 7/8 X 14 adapter can be opened to accept a sizing die and a setscrew will hold it in place. The pressure on the adapter is vertical so that will hold.

A good machinist can have you going in an hour./beagle