PDA

View Full Version : New but not young...

LewR
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I am looking to get into the casting part of mylife - for old guns and some newer.

I am starting again at scratch and need some guidence around this site. I need to buy items - is there a WTB thread or a WTS thread? I bought a bunch of lead (That sounds dirty...) but now will need to test, melt, cast, etc.

Who here helps n00bies even though they are at least 55 years of age? :)

Thanks for the help, it is truly appreciated.

Lew

Rock
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Welcome. Your age is not an issue here as we welcome young and old alike

Yes there is a buying and selling section of the forums,
for Sale: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Want to buy: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

mold maker
05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the fraternal order of the silver stream.
You ask the questions and someone will provide the answers. We all crawled a ways before we learned to run.

1Shirt
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Welcome! Couple of suggestions: Go slow! Find and experianced caster, and ask him to let you watch and observe his casting proceedure! Buy a Lyman Reloading manual (there is a new one in print on strictly cast blts if they ever release it). Read the manual carefully. Read the threads on this site, you will find a wealth of info, and a little BS to go allong with is. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Wayne Smith
05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Welcome. Be aware that you are among many newbies as well as old, experienced, grouchy guys. Look for other threads on being a newbie and you will find loads of answers. Also answers on about any question you may want to ask. The search engine is useful.

montana_charlie
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Your location (under your username) is shown as Central NJ.
If you could be more specific, there may be one or more of us near you.
Almost any member here will be willing to give you some face to face tutoring...

CM

No_1
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the site Lew. We are never too old or too young. With some research of the site you will find the answers you need. I am sure you already have an idea of what you want to buy and Rock has posted links to the WTT and WTB sections of the forum. If you are not sure of the items you need check here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11. If you have any questions post them.

Robert

05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Lew,
Welcome, you young wipper-snapper;-)

When I first started, I spent a lot of time here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

While you're waiting for Lyman to get around to releasing their 4th editon "Cast Bullet Handbook", you might want to get a copy of the 3rd edition.

Echo
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Welcome, Lew. My advice is for you to read EVERY Sticky on the forum! Then read them again - there is a TON of info there. spend a couple of hours a day reading stuff on this site, and, as has been already suggested, don't be in an all-fired rush. Absorb...

mooman76
05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Big welcome. I'll be glad to help you, but you have to come here!

gray wolf
05-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Welcome

H'mmm Another kid, Well I'm glad you are starting at a young age. (joke laugh)
Help? you bet you will get help, It's in the casting brothers D. N. A.
Ask, read and listen and you will be fine. It's not that hard--
after all we do it--so how hard can it be ?

Duckiller
05-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Sell everything and run for your life!!! Casting is way too addictive and buying moulds before you have the gun is habit forming and can get expensive. Your only hope if you insist on shooting is a brief session once a year with a 22IR. Other wise welcome to the club and don't compete for wheel weights.

303Guy
05-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi there, LewR. By 'starting from scratch', do you you mean you still have to buy some guns? (Good place to start!) Then it gets to be more fun - you might just get interested in paper patching.:wink:

Flinchrock
05-05-2010, 05:22 AM
I am looking to get into the casting part of mylife - for old guns and some newer.

I am starting again at scratch and need some guidence around this site. I need to buy items - is there a WTB thread or a WTS thread? I bought a bunch of lead (That sounds dirty...) but now will need to test, melt, cast, etc.

Who here helps n00bies even though they are at least 55 years of age? :)

Thanks for the help, it is truly appreciated.

Lew

Welcome!!! yer gonna find everything you need to know here,,,and maybe some things you don't!
The knowledge found here is very comprehensive.

Bret4207
05-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Heat source, pot, ladle, mould, lube. That's all you really need. What are you looking for specifically?

Welcome to the asylum!

LewR
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the very warm welcome. How can I sum up things? I have several firearms including a few muzzle loaders. I will be looking for all the equipment, pot ladle, molds, etc. I will start my hunt on this site, looks like a lot of pros's are here!!

WallyM3
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm a bit older than you, and I just dropped my first boolits last week.

I gathered up some Lee gear to start with and have already realized that I want to expand. I have no complaint with the Lee products (read about Leementing), but have become eager to add to my modest plant because I'M HOOKED.

The 10 lb. bottom pour is a very serviceable pot in my very limited experience. The fact that I'm angling for an RCBS in no way denigrates the Lee. Their ingot moulds are just fine and the push-through sizer dies appear to work fine. The little dipper (it gets a bit criticized as being a toy) has proven a right handy tool for "stirring the pot" and cleaning the melt.

I think it's a good way to start.

Once you get your bearings, there are some dazzling offerings by members here. I just received a NOE 358009 that I've placed on a satin pillow to look at until I feel ready and confident to use it. (It's like operating a new, tuned SAA to handle.)

One little thing I did do today: I had a "lead tube" vial of blood drawn (coincident with some other blood work) to establish my base line lead level. Not a panic thing, but a sensible precaution for someone who's been exposed to nastier things (asbestos, nuke warheads, liberals).

I should also add that my first loading manual is the last Lyman ed. that included the .455 Webley, and I bought it new. (Actually, it was NOS. This was 1972.)

I wish I'd started this casting boolits bit long ago.

It's never too late, however.

Not fer nothin', but a pic of my silly little casting set-up is one of this month's submissions in Castpics.

Finally, without this site, I'd still be buying bullets. It's one of (if not the) best special interest sites I've yet encountered.

1Shirt
05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Lew & Wally, you can quit talking about being old. You are youngins compared to some here. I am 71, and by no means the oldest on Castboolits. Age anyway is a state of mind, and if you don't mind, who cares anyhow!
1Shirt!:coffee:

WallyM3
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
(LOL) I don't feel a bit old, I was just taking a poke at Lew's concerns.

I'm 58 and have a 7 y-o daughter, so I'm open to new experiences.

captaint
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome Lew!! Looks like you're embarking on the journey. You will really enjoy this one. I'm old too (at least that what my kids say). If you don't mind driving an hour, shoot me a PM. I can probably save you some hair!!! enjoy Mike

Matt_G
05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the madness LewR! :drinks:

looks like a lot of pros's are here!!
Yes, there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here.
FYI, I ain't one of 'em. :lol:

jlchucker
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Only 55?? You don't even approach the lofty title of Geezer for another 10 years yet. You couldn't have picked a better website to read regarding bullet casting and shooting cast boolits. That's how we call them here--BOOLITS.

a.squibload
05-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Wealth of information? Not my department, I try to help provide some BS though!

I'm getting back into casting, have found technical info, helpful advice, and WAY too many
opportunities to acquire new goodies here.
Be sure to check the PIF forum, although you have to be fast over there.

There are a few heretics here, blaspheming about the sacred Boolit Lube.
Although there is a certain allure about paper patching...
NO! What am I saying? Forgive me...

LewR
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Okay - I am back on track - do I want an electric pot, or a propane one for casting.

Agreed, there are two jobs to do - melt a bunch of sh*t into a useable form - then melt to fill forms.

I will start by doing this at my camp - so is a wood ember fire that glows iron red hot enough? Is it safe to dip a ladle in such to fill molds?

I am a baby just learning to step at this point.

Thanks!! Lew

wills
05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Okay - I am back on track - do I want an electric pot, or a propane one for casting.

Agreed, there are two jobs to do - melt a bunch of sh*t into a useable form - then melt to fill forms.

I will start by doing this at my camp - so is a wood ember fire that glows iron red hot enough? Is it safe to dip a ladle in such to fill molds?

I am a baby just learning to step at this point.

Thanks!! Lew

Large propane pot for smelting, 20 pound Waage pot (its not in their online catalogue you have to e mail) for casting.

Unless you just want to play lone ranger, camp when you camp, cast when you cast.

Get your Rowell bottom pour ladle from Advance Car Movers.

cajun shooter
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
First thing is to buy "The Lyman CAST BULLET HANDBOOK" It will answer all your questions up to a point and provide some charts that even the old guys refer to from time to time. Next go to the sticky section and read and copy for reference booklet all written material by Glenn Fryxell. Make a three hole binder so that it is easy access. This will help you a bunch when you read some of the threads on this forum by giving you an understanding of what is being said.