PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of loading C430-310-RF "long"?

ghh3rd
05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
I've crimped all of my Lee C430-310-RF boolits for my Ruger SBH in the top crimp groove, without really thinking about it. I was reading some posts tonight that suggested "loading it long", using the other crimp groove. This would add about .008 additional space inside of the case.

What would be the benefit of loading it this way? By the way I typically use 21.5 gr of W296 or H110.

Thanks - Randy

44man
05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I've crimped all of my Lee C430-310-RF boolits for my Ruger SBH in the top crimp groove, without really thinking about it. I was reading some posts tonight that suggested "loading it long", using the other crimp groove. This would add about .008 additional space inside of the case.

What would be the benefit of loading it this way? By the way I typically use 21.5 gr of W296 or H110.

Thanks - Randy
I crimp in the lower groove for that load, it is the best load. Seating deeper raises pressure a tad so you might, by a WAG, be close to a 22 gr load. Since the Ruger has long enough throats, the boolit might get a straighter start if it sticks out a little more. Never proved it but it sounds good! :bigsmyl2:
If you are using mag primers, try a standard like the Fed 150, you might get a pleasant surprise at the target.

ghh3rd
05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
If you are using mag primers, try a standard like the Fed 150, you might get a pleasant surprise at the target.

Have only used the Fed 150, per your advice to me before I loaded my first .44. I'm going to load up a batch of the water dropped (20.9 BHN maybe a littler harder now) and see if I can close my groups a bit.

Those I used last weekend were air cooled, and my first 50 yd group was 2.3" with the Ultra Dot, on a target with four bullseyes. I was happy, but thought OK, let's concentrate and see if I can do even better. The next group was a diagonal string 6" long! The third group was very large (getting very frustrated by then) and I didn't even see where any of the fourth group went.

Then I gave my Ultra Dot a little push and it wiggled [smilie=b: It only took about 500 rounds to work loose -- now I have another item for my mental checklist before shooting.

44man
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Took way less then 500 rounds. It was affecting groups much sooner.
Want to have fun, try keeping a scope base tight on a .475! I never have a problem with rings but can never keep the base screws tight. Loctite is a joke.
I gave up and Accra glass bedded the base to the gun and also the screws.
How in the world do screws UNSCREW? Why don't they get tighter?
Had grip frame screws loosen and shear. Lots of Loctite on them too.
I mounted a base to a BFR .500 JRH for a short test. Finished after very few shots and when I removed the base, all screws were loose. I had cranked those things TIGHT.
Only thing I can figure is the earth turns the wrong direction! [smilie=b:

ghh3rd
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Only thing I can figure is the earth turns the wrong direction!
Perhaps it would be better in the Orient then?

44man
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
QUOTE=ghh3rd;887117]Perhaps it would be better in the Orient then?[/QUOTE]
:bigsmyl2:[smilie=l: