PDA

View Full Version : Garden protection against Peeps

randyrat
05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm a disimal failure at making wax bullets so far. plugged the GP100 barrel up real good with beeswax bullets. So when all fails read the directions.

I read up a little on making wax bullets. I have to cut the beeswax with some parifin and grease. What kind of grease should i use? Also i have to drill out the primer holes a little- 3/8ths.

Onions and radishes are popping up so i want to be ready for rabbits(peeps/perpatrators) when they come to raid the garden, expecialy when the greeen beans start.

Johnch
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Do you have a 22 cal CF rifle in the house ?

Well my 223 , a rifle primer pushs a 22 cal pellet along nicely
I add a small fluff of dacron right under the pellet
As I found it help prevent the skirt from failing

I have turned a many of garden vermin have turned belly up with it

As they also make 20 and 25 cal pellets , you have a choice

But I found out the skirts are not able to handle powder

John

DLCTEX
05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Quote:"Also i have to drill out the primer holes a little- 3/8ths". How are you going to get the primer to stay in place?[smilie=l:

Bkid
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I use some aguila 22 that have no powder only primer. They are silent and deadly to rabbits. Probably to people to ,not sure get back on that one.

randyrat
05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:"Also i have to drill out the primer holes a little- 3/8ths". How are you going to get the primer to stay in place?[smilie=l:

OOOPPPPs....3/32s is what i meant

hoosierlogger
05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Ive had good luck catching rabbits in a live trap baited with apple slices. about half of the rabbits you catch in it will jump around in one so much they hit their head and kill themselves.

randyrat
05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I use some aguila 22 that have no powder only primer. They are silent and deadly to rabbits. Probably to people to ,not sure get back on that one. What do you do, pull the bullets, dump the powder and replace the bullet?

lylejb
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I think he means this

beagle
05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah, the Aguila stuff is not to play around with. #2 son killed a full grown groundhog with one./beagle

Bkid
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Yep that is the stuff , not for human consumption. LOL

calaloo
05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
You are lucky you have rabbits. We have coyotes. I sure would like to have some fried rabbit, been years. Deer eat my garden. Wonder if that Colibri stuff would take care of them?

hoosierlogger
05-04-2010, 07:36 AM
You are lucky you have rabbits. We have coyotes. I sure would like to have some fried rabbit, been years. Deer eat my garden. Wonder if that Colibri stuff would take care of them?

Ill bet it would. They probably wont die from it, but they might just go to the neighbors garden for their next meal instead of yours. So in my opinion that would make it effective.

Horace
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Started shooting wax bullets in 81,parifin works best. Horace

HammerMTB
05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I realize it may not contribute a lot to boolit casting, but I use a .177 cal pellet rifle in my yard for the pests, and have shot ~100 squirrels a year for several years running.
They must keep makin' squirrels at a helluva rate....

selmerfan
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
.22 CB shorts do very nicely

cabezaverde
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I shot a full sized raccoon at about 20 yards wih a collibri.

He was standing on his back legs getting ready to climb a tree. When it hit, he looked down at his chest like "what was that".

Looked at me.

Fell over dead about 20 seconds later.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
If you shoot a feral cat with one of those Aguila cartridges using a Mark II, it will not exit the head from 2 feet, nor cycle, a Bearcat will loose too much pressure to work reliably because of the cylinder gap, and a 20"bolt rifle may not allow always the bullet to exit the pest. BvT

blackthorn
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
+1 on the .22 CB shorts! I used them to shoot pack rats in my fishing camp cabin (until I had the new cabin built). I fired one point blank (about 2 inches) at a one inch soft pine board lying on the ground and it went through but was just lying on the dirt under the board.

Crash_Corrigan
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Hike thyself to your local gunnie. He will order for you a Ruger Single Six .22 LR Revolter with a 6 1/2 bbl. Also have him git ya some of those Aquila CB caps.

That will certainly discourge any garden pests and can do double duty to eliminate those flying rats (Pidgeons) that abound hereabouts.

ghh3rd
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I made some wax boolits for my .38. Had to drill out the primer flash hole to keep the primer from backing out and locking up the cylinder.

I used Gulf parafin wax. The sheets that you get in the box are just thick enough to punch out some nice boolits. Just had to warm the wax just enough to punch the wax boolit with the empty case.

As I recall, I believe I primed them after pushing the wax boolit into the case so air could exit the case, then primed them. They shot pretty low even at 10 feet.

scrapcan
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I remember reading in an older book aobut these (George Nonte I think was the author). The chapter on them said to push the waxy down to just above the primer asn it was easier on the wax than letting the gases expand to fill the case behind the wax. And yep it talk s about enlarging the flash hole to stop primer set back.

You might try out the Glueletts (Hot melt glue in a mould technique).

Also you could use the rubber x ring bullets. After playing with them in the garage and needing some extra burlap to stop them, you might get them to work in you application.

randyrat
05-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Popped a few rounds off in the back yard and in the basement, couldn't hit a bear if it was standing next to me. More work needs to be done.
I figured i had a 12" group at 20 feet
So far i
*drilled the primer holes to 3/32s
* used beeswax mixed with white grease, the mix in the pan was about 1/2" thick and kinda hard just soft enough to push a 38 empty in it.

Maybe that is the downfall, as was stated before, the wax needs to be pushed almost down to the primer?

509thsfs
05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I used to shoot wax bullets for a little practice in the basement years ago. I'd just melt parafin in a small foil lined cookie sheet at about a 1/4 inch or so depth and push a .38 case mouth down into it after it cooled a bit but still a little soft. Yes you had to drill the flash holes out a bit to keep primers from backing out. I'd also chamfer the inside ot the case mouths a bit to make it easier to "cut" the wax as I pressed them into the wax. worked pretty good. I used to shoot them into box with some old towels into it as a bullet trap. Could always remelt the wax and recycle them over again if I wanted to. Only downside is you needed some decent ventilation as they were a little smokie.

ghh3rd
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Only downside is you needed some decent ventilation as they were a little smokie.

There is another downside - you still use 1 primer for each round. Wish they made cheap "wax boolit" primers :-)

KCSO
05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Wax bullets...
I have never used and grease. I mix beeswax and parifin 75-25 and let it harden in a cake pan about 1/2" deep. I drill out the primer holes to at least 1/8", 3/8 might be a bit much for a 38 revolver. Wipe or brush out the barrel about every 10-15 shots. I prime with standard pistol primers as accuracy is a little better than Mags. Wax loads will shoot about 2" low on average at 50 feet and will cut one ragged hole. I use these mostly for point shooting practice indoors, although they will kill arabbit with a head shot.

jdgabbard
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
This is what I use on rodents....

Ruger 22/45 with a cheap red dot mounted on top. Best investment ever!