PDA

View Full Version : Revolver scope recommendation? S&W 57

WallyM3
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
For some time now, my arms have been growing shorter. Or so it would seem, since I can't hold anything like normal print far away enough to see.

This poses a dilemma with iron sights. The target is crisp and clear, the front sight on a 8 3/8" Smith is so-so, and I know the rear sight is there based on rumor.

I think it's time to drill and tap my 57 for a scope. But I'd like to do it right. I don't mind spending a bit of money on a good quality scope and would like the sharpest optics possible (under Schmidt & Bender prices) in a durable package.

I was hoping that experienced members might be wiling to start me in the right direction.

:coffeecom

Blammer
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I like the simmons pro hunter 2-6.

I like it because it has the biggest viewing area. Meaning, when I look through it I don't have to hold the gun perfectly to be able to see through the scope.

I looked through a luepold and couldn't hold it so I could look through it no matter how hard I tried. Small viewing window, I guess.

I have 3 of the simmons pro hunters on 3 diff handguns. I like them.

WallyM3
05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
OK. Now we're talking business! Thank you.

You've articulated what is probably the most desirable of characteristics. Leupold has been my "go-to" scope for rifles for years. I suspected that that bob-and-weave I'm having to do with their higher powered scopes would be a distinct disadvantage in an optical sighting device 2 feet from my eye.

AZ-Stew
05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Before you go to the expense of buying a scope and having it mounted, have you considered getting some $15 reading glasses from your local CVS or Walgreens to keep in your shooting bag? These will sharpen up the sights for you, while leaving the target slightly fuzzy. Don't take your revolver in the store, but try the various power glasses by holding your hand out in front of you, with your finger pointed to simulate the barrel of your shooter. Try various power glasses until you find one that works. This will probably be different than the ones that work best for reading.

If that doesn't suit you, check out the Thompson/Center handgun scopes. Bright, sharp, reasonably priced and as their ads used to say, "Recoil Proof". I have one on my T/C .45-70 16" handgun barrel and it's weathered several hundred, if not over a thousand, rounds of loads that are suitable for 1886 Winchester and Marlin rifles.

Regards,

Stew

WallyM3
05-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Actually, here I could (and can, and would) take the Model 57 into the Ophthalmologist's shop and no one would think very much about it. (Vermont)

I've been wearing readers now for at least 12 years and get an eye exam every 6 months. We're past that here.

I can do all the drilling and tapping, no problem, and have wholesale accounts with the usual vendors, so it really isn't that bad.

But I do see your point. It's just that I've gone a leetle beet beyond that stage, if you know what I mean.

crabo
05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I like the red dots (Ultradot 4 is my fav) for hunting and offhand because they are quick to acquire the target. You look at the target and bring the dot up into the target. I have a Luepold 2.5x8 and only use it for testing loads. It weighs so much it is too heavy to hold offhand.

I have a tasco 2 power 30mm World Class from long ago on my 22 High Standard pistol that I love. When you get over 2 power in a hunting gun, in my opinion, it starts becoming hard to find a target quickly, especially compared to a good red dot.

I like the Ultradot 4 because of the different size dots you can use. Big dot for up close and personal and smaller for more precision. There is a reason why a lot of competition, speed and precision shooters, use red dots.

imashooter2
05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I'll second a red dot. I bought the Millet and I'm happy, but the Ultradot gets excellent reviews and is very popular with the Bullseye crowd.

.30/30 Guy
05-03-2010, 09:20 AM
If you do not need magnification get a good red dot. I like my Burris better than my Leupold for 2x scopes.

ole 5 hole group
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'll get in line with crabo & the rest that recommend red dots. A scope is the better sight aid for working up loads from a bench but leaves a little to be desired for off-hand shooting. A light weight red dot is the way to go in my opinion. I think the JPoint would be nice but they are expensive. I'll probably pick one up anyway this summer and see if miss percentage drops a little - sure can't get any worse.