PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x25 cast loads?

Scotty
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Will the Norinco type 54 pistols feed cast?I just ordered a Type 54 and was wondering if anyone has tryed the Lee 311-93-1R in it.I also have a RCBS 30-115-SP mold that might work.

thx,

Scotty,:redneck:

9.3X62AL
07-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Scotty--

Long-term time in grade with a Type 54 Tokarev here. I haven't tried the Lee 93 you describe, but the Lee 100 RN feeds very well in my pistol.

How much loading with the 7.62 x 25 have you done? There can be a bit of a learning curve to negotiate with this caliber, esp. its dinky little neck and small support for boolits/bullets against feedramp contact.

StarMetal
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Just about any pistol designed to feed hardball roundnose will feed roundnose cast, especially if the cast bullet is near the same weight and shape as the original hardball AND is not too soft to stick on the feed ramp.

As Al noted there's not alot of neck to the Tokie round and if you try to crimp it hard it will buckle. The 30 Luger is the same way but Lee has come out with a factory collet crimper that does just beautiful. I've been trying to talk Al into buying one.

I have the Norinco 7.62x54 pistol and have no problems with it shooting the Lee bullet Al mentioned. In fact I designed and made a mould to shoot Truncated Cone Nose bullets and it even handles them well. I adjusted my loads down to where they just function the pistol, as full house loads with that round are just plum nasty as far as noise goes. A 100 gr bullet isn't going to generate alot of recoil, but with the noise that goes on, you may well think it does.

Good and ask questions as you go along.

Joe

9.3X62AL
07-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Joe's 7.62 x 54 pistol is belt-fed, too! :-)

Yep, those full-stroke Tokarev rounds are blasty little critters.

45 2.1
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Just about any pistol designed to feed hardball roundnose will feed roundnose cast, especially if the cast bullet is near the same weight and shape as the original hardball AND is not too soft to stick on the feed ramp.

As Al noted there's not alot of neck to the Tokie round and if you try to crimp it hard it will buckle. The 30 Luger is the same way but Lee has come out with a factory collet crimper that does just beautiful. I've been trying to talk Al into buying one.

I have the Norinco 7.62x54 pistol and have no problems with it shooting the Lee bullet Al mentioned. In fact I designed and made a mould to shoot Truncated Cone Nose bullets and it even handles them well. I adjusted my loads down to where they just function the pistol, as full house loads with that round are just plum nasty as far as noise goes. A 100 gr bullet isn't going to generate alot of recoil, but with the noise that goes on, you may well think it does.

Good and ask questions as you go along.

Joe

Wow, a 7.62x54 "pistol". Better check that one out.

StarMetal
07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Bob,

You aren't kidding. Sorry folks I meant 7.62x25 Norinco pistol. Alot of 7.62's to keep track of and I own most of them. thanks Bob.

Joe

crazy mark
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I use 77- 115 gr bullets in mine. I have even got some swc's to feed. I have a Norinco with the 7.62x25 and 9mm barrels and a polish tt-33. I just hate chasing the brass. Be careful with some of the jacketed milsurp rounds as they are for machine pistols and a little too hot. Mark