PDA

View Full Version : A question on scopes

Beekeeper
05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
OK here's the scoop.
My daughter in all her glory bought her Dad a rifle scope.
She is a total non shooter and the guy at the sporting goods shop where she was buying running shoes sold her a 3-9 variable Barska.
Now the old man has a barska scope which was a gift and cannot return as they do not take returns on glass and I do not want to make Daughter tooo mad.

Installed the scope on a 30-06 and took it to the range .
Fired 100 rounds of full power rounds through the rifle. Enough to give me a sore shoulder even with a recoil pad.

Scope survived the beating and laughed at me. so now what do I do.

Have always heard that Barska scopes were junk but I am not so sure anymore and would like to hear your comments.

Jim

NSP64
05-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I've had some barska scopes that were good. Keep it and if you don't want to use it, mount it on something you don't use much. Or put it on the .22LR. After all, it's the thought that counts.

(you may have a way out if Kalifonidiots outlaw scopes as BAD.:kidding:

docone31
05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
All my scopes are Barska. I love them. They take a real pounding.
They are big ones. I put one on a .22, and at 100yds can hit a weld spot on the targt upright.
I like them.

jcwit
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
As with all of the inexpensive scopes, reloading equipment, shooting rests, ect., ect. they have very little bragging rights.

Personally I do not own any Barska scopes, but the BSA scopes I own work very well.

Guesser
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a couple of the Barska 30MM scopes, they work for me. My 4X32 BSA scopes just keep on also.

Doc Highwall
05-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I have two Barska SWAT scopes with 30mm tubes a 3.5x-10x 40mm and a 6x-24x 44mm. I compared the 6x-24x along side my Leupold 8.5x-25x MK4 at 100 yards and could not tell the difference between them in clarity and the clicks are positive. I liked them enough that I just ordered through Midway with my birthday discount the Barska Benchmark 40x 50mm for $167.00 and I will let you know how I like it.

jcwit
05-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I have two Barska SWAT scopes with 30mm tubes a 3.5x-10x 40mm and a 6x-24x 44mm. I compared the 6x-24x along side my Leupold 8.5x-25x MK4 at 100 yards and could not tell the difference between them in clarity and the clicks are positive. I liked them enough that I just ordered through Midway with my birthday discount the Barska Benchmark 40x 50mm for $167.00 and I will let you know how I like it.

Not to go back on my statement about bragging rights, but take into consideration that the Leupold scope costs in the neighborhood of $1200 to $1500, in your comparison.

One of the autos in my stable is a KIA Rio, and I don't compare it to the Corvette I used to own.

jhrosier
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I've got several Barska scopes that are working well, no complaints.
I also have a couple of BSA scopes that are just terrible.
I think that the quality of the low end scopes can go up and down and you just don't know what you are getting until you own it.
If I could regularly afford high end scopes, I would surely buy them.
For a critical application I would spend the big bucks. For a range plinker the cheapies won't ruin your day if they fail and they are a tenth the price of a good scope.

Jack

Doc Highwall
05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
For a range plinking scope I think the Barska Swat or Benchmark series will work great, as I said a friend and I could not tell the difference in clarity between the Leupold MK4 and the Barska at 24 power. I am not sure how the Barska will hold up to constant windage and elevation changing for competition, here I put my money on the Leupold.