PDA

View Full Version : You'll all think I'm crazy...........

HiVelocity
05-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Genius, or ready for a shrink?

I am casting a 225gr 452 NOE bullet for my 454. Super nice bullet, haven't shot it yet. I love the deep hollow point in that I'll be using this bullet for hunting this year and it should work fine (I hope).

I got this idea to load this same bullet into a 45ACP case. Hey, 225 grain bullet should work, provided it functions in the pistol it was intended for. The photo below is just a dummy-sample, not a loaded cartridge. It fed from a magazine into my Kimber without a hitch.

Thoughts? Idea's? Am I insane?

HiVelocity

JesterGrin_1
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
If it feeds run with it. But also remember to look at how far down the Bullet goes into the case as it may use up more area of the case than a normal .45 ACP Bullet. Which means the amount of powder you can use for the given case volume will change.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Give it a try in the acp, providing it dies feed OK and doesn't take up enough case space to make pressure issues.

But for hunting????????????

If this is a meat critter, seems like the potential for a real meat waster!

I like the comments I read about "eat'in right up to the boolet hole" but this just seems like it may produce an overly large hole.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

runfiverun
05-01-2010, 04:11 PM
nope, your fine.
if it feeds shoot it.
i use all my 45's in all my 45's.
160 through the 454429 even the 452664 in my acp's and the 200 swc's in the 45 colt levergun.
unique is pretty forgiving in the acp with heavier boolits.

MtGun44
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Lots of folks use Elmer's 452423, which was intended for .45 Auto Rim in S&W 1917s in
.45 ACP in 1911s with excellent results. No big deal, just feeding and case volume issues,
but not different than anything else.

HiVelocity
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I appreciate all the comments.

I haven't mic'd out the length yet, but it appears that there's only about 1/16 of an inch difference in length between the bullet in the photos and the Lee 230 Truncated bullet I sat beside it moments ago.

I'm guessing I'll have to find a happy medium to where it feeds and functions.

I still plan on hunting with this bullet in the 454 at around 1400 fps on deer and hogs.

I'll have to plan on testing it though on wet newspaper and water filled milk containers in the ACP to see exactly how it expands in the ACP.

Thanks to all,

HV in SC

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, at 1400fps ya may as well figure your hunting with about a 150gr boolet.

At that velocity, that hollow point and a bunch more of your boolet will be gone before it ever gets into the boiler room.

The wound damage will be excessive to start with, but there won't be enough weight remaining to get the penitration.

In a 454, you need to be shooting something over 300grs with a BIG FLAT meplat.

Much less meat damage and a great deal more killing power.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

izzyjoe
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
that boolit looks cool, but i'll have to agree with ol' coot on the 300gr.boolit in the 454 with a wide meplat. that wide meplat puts a shok on critter you wont beleive. i've seen large hollow points explode on impact, due to speed and hardness,being to fast and/or to hard a boolit. but you can experiment and see what they do.lol:lovebooli