PDA

View Full Version : RB loads?

NSP64
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Anyone shoot single or double RB's in their 38's or 44's?

theperfessor
05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Years ago when I had one of the first Charter Bulldogs I loaded double ball loads using light charges of Bullseye. Put in one ball, scraped a little lube on top and then seated the next ball just deep enough for a light roll crimp over the midline of the top ball. No leading and reasonable accuracy out to 15 yards or so. Holes from same shot were within two inches of each other, composite groups were in the 5-6" range.

Would take bets that I could put ten holes in a paper plate at 7 yards faster than somebody with a 1911 using standard 7 round mags. People thought it was a speed-reloading contest but it wasn't. Hacked off a few guys but most were good sports and enjoyed laugh afterwards.

Wanted to develop load for self-defense with maximum impact and stopping power and minimal penetration and lethality. Reasoning was that two balls hitting at once but not penetrating through target would transmit maximum possible force and reduce over-penetration and possible danger to bystanders. Don't know if this is sound reasoning but that's the story anyway.

NSP64
05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
sounds like a good load. Bulldog was 44spl correct? What size RB did you use? Did you cast them yourself or buy? If cast what did you use?

jdgabbard
05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I've thought about loading some of these up myself. I've just never been able to justify buying a RB mold in .360...

NSP64
05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
@ $25 fo a lee mold I was thinking of getting on in each (38+44). Just didn't know if I should get larger and size down or get close and let the forcing cone size them. Also wondered if WW was ok or stay pure lead.

SmuvBoGa
05-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I use buckshot, two ought not three IF I recall - the 38's will hold two & the 357 will take three. I use J.P.W. over a LOW heat , roll the buckshot around & then let cool.

A fun load.

theperfessor
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, Bulldog was/is .44 Spcl, balls were ones I cast from a Lee mold and IIRC they were .433 diameter and weighed about 123 grs. I used a starting load of BE for 246 gr RN. I figured the reduced case capacity would be offset by minimal bearing length/reduced friction of balls and got no adverse pressure signs. Didn't try to go any higher on load, didn't have chrony then but load felt mild even in light gun.

I WAS careful to make sure that the balls stayed in contact w/each other to prevent equivalent of "obstructed bore". Wasn't any problem with properly resized case, I could see the outline of the lower ball in the case. It was fun to play with anyway.

If I did it again I'd probably try using a pre-greased felt or cardboard wad between balls.

NSP64
05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
If I did it again I'd probably try using a pre-greased felt or cardboard wad between balls.

Why? Was there leading? Did you size them first or roll in LLA or anything?

theperfessor
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Didn't size them at all, and there was no leading, but the process was kind of messy and I'm sure I didn't get quite the same amount of lube in each case. I was using a soft lube, most likely regular Lyman Alox as that was all you could get around here 30 yrs ago.

The alloy I was using then was pretty much straight WWs. Figured I was shooting the ballistic equivalent of a .44 cap-and-ball load from a short barreled BP revolver only with two at once. I'm pretty sure that a .44 BP revolver has stopped a few bad guys so I had a certain level of confidence in load.

MtGun44
05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I had a friend years ago that loaded three RB in a .38 or .357, I forget which, over a moderate
charge of Bullseye. He called it his "Hock Shop Load" -- three balls . . . . .

Bill

woody1
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone shoot single or double RB's in their 38's or 44's?

Sure. One ball loads in 38spl or .357 and .44 WCF (rifle). Both using 3.1 gr. Bullseye. I lube with alox and/or Jwax. For the 38's I use a 375 rb run thru a .360 sizer. In the .44 I use a .430 ball and then have to taper crimp to get the round to chamber. They all are fun to shoot and shoot well close up. Regards, Woody

DLCTEX
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
.360 RB or .375 RB (more grip for rifling) sized .358 and BE in 38 Special. I haven't tried two but will remedy that soon. Sounds like fun.