PDA

View Full Version : Glock 9mm vs .40 -- 1. brass & 2. stock Bbl issues

ghh3rd
04-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I have a .40 Glock and am aware of the problem with the bulge in this round resulting from the high pressure and unsupported chamber.

My son purchased a 9mm Glock, and asked me if the 9mm has the same issue. What's the consensus about this?

Secondly, I purchased an aftermarket barrel for my .40 to avoid future bulging, but also because I heard of problems with heavy leading using cast boolits in stock Glock barrels.

Since then, I've read some posts about leading not being a safety issue in Glock barrels, if you only fire 100 at a time between cleaning.

I imagine that correctly sizing the boolit to the barrel is important, as well as boolit hardness.

Especially regarding the 9mm --
-- any tips on using cast boolits in stock Glock barrels with minimum leading (your technique)?
-- My Lee 90431 SWC feeds OK in my .40. Same type of boolit work well for 9mm?

Thanks

Ron
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM
G'day, I have a GLOCK 34 in 9mm and have never had a problem with bulged cases. Maybe this is because I do not load HOT loads for this gun. I never had a problem with the factory barrel but because of all the BS flying around about KB's I decided to buy an after market barrel for it. It is now fitted with a Storm Lake barrel; no problems with "bulged" cases and its just as accurate if not more so as the factory barrel.

mooman76
05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Stay away from hot loads. Check for leading often. First time out I would only shoot 50 max before checking for leading. Once leading starts, pressure rises quickly. Then after you check and are not having major leading issues, shoot more. I shot as dropped from the mould without sizing. You may not get away with that in an aftermarket barrel. Some are tight. Also keep you glock fired brass seperat from the after market barrel brass or you get jams.

Tinbullet
05-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a Glock 9mm and I have never noticed any bulging with any of my reloads jacked or cast. Cast reloads run in the 1100 FPS range I have had minor leading of the Glock barrel using RCBS 09124CN 124 gr. cone nose sized at .355 and 15 bhn. On the other hand shooting a Lyman 356242 120 gr. round nose sized at .355 and 14 bhn showed no leading at all. Keeping the barrel cleaned between shooting session is probably the best thing to do as its a snap to pop the slide off to that chore.

swallytrip
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I cant give any answers about the lead but my Glock 19 carry gun has had thousands of rounds through it and doesnt seem to damage brass at all Ie glock buldge. I think that is more to do mainly with the 40's, I see it a lot from them my friend stopped that with his IDPA gun by putting in a wilson barrell and it doesn't buldge brass anymore really,and as far as my 9 it sees a lot of +P's too.