PDA

View Full Version : Removing rubber from copper bullets

largecaliberman
07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I recently cleaned an indoor shooting range of spent bullets. I ended up collecting 3-1/2 55 gallon drums and not to mention almost 4- 55 gallon drums brass from 22-44's and oodles of 45's - around half of those brass are 22's which I intend to sell depending on the scrap metal market price. The indoor shooting range uses a hard rubber backing and a majority of the spent bullets are mixed with bits and pieces of rubber and rubber smeared on the bullets. I soaked a batch and a majority of the rubber floated to the top and skimmed most of the rubber, the ones that did not float, I seived it out and hand picked them out; some of the rubber just wouldn't float. My question is, how do you get the rubber off the copper bullets that's smeared and stuck on them? I smelted a small batch, however it smoked as h#%l. The next incident happened, the police came by about a complaint of smelling burned rubber and smoke. It would be just a shame to just let the spend lead go to waste. Any suggestions and ideas?

Help!!

imashooter2
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Is there some specific ordinance against temporary smoke and odor emanating from your property? If not, tell the police "Yep, that's me working around the yard. Thanks for stopping by." and send them on their way.

I've just spent a couple of Saturdays smelting the same sort of range scrap and I don't see how you are ever going to get all the rubber out of it.

bruce drake
07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Ditto on the yard work line. I've got an over-inquisitive neighbor who thinks she needs to run the neighborhood. After the second smelting session with oily wheelweights that had a police cruiser stop by "to investigate a call on smoke" I struck a conversation up with the police officer and found out who called in my smoke.

Ever since, I always smelt dirty lead when the wind is blowing to the East....:twisted: Her husband is one of those spineless Liberal University types who lets his much bigger wife run the house. I didn't care for the type when I was in College and I still don't feel like I can trust the type. Kind of type who thinks the UN is here to help us and that Democrats will transition us to a Social Utopia.

You ever see a picture of one of those large fishes with the parasite male attached. Yep, that's the type of neighbor I've got.

Oh, did I mention the neighbor lady lives just East of me.[smilie=1:

I always make it a point of letting her know I shoot rifles in my free time and not just when I'm working for the Army defending her right to bitch about some oily smoke from the casting pot.

Bruce

waksupi
07-23-2006, 06:35 PM
One hot Sunay afternoon, I was laying in the hammock, drinking a beer, and watching my wife mow the yard.
The nosey neighbor lady from across the street was so outraged, she shouted at me, "You should be hung!"
I took a drink of my ice cold beer, raise my dark Raybans, looked directly at the nosey bitch, and calmly replied.
"I am. That's why she is mowing the yard."

largecaliberman
07-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I guess there's no way around the problem. All I can say to those who responded, and the way we say it in the U.S. Army ---- "HUA"

This is a great country ----- "or what".

kodiak1
07-23-2006, 08:30 PM
waksupi I LOVE THAT ONE!!!!!!!!
KEN

Wayne Smith
07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Back to the original point. Get a concrete mixer, smallest you can get, and some gravel. Start it running with the gravel (make sure the gravel is smaller than the bullets - sand?) and toss in the bullets. Run it for a while, then seive out the bullets from the gravel. Never done it, never had the need, but have often imagined the process.

OK, so I got a weird imagination, so what!

jhalcott
07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
190 gallons of rubberized bullets will take a LONG time to run thru your vibrating tumbler! Either use the cement mixer or just make smoke! Get the biggest SAFE melter you can and try to do it when the neighbors are at work /vacation.

mooman76
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Is the rubber light enough to float? How about laying the mix out on the concrete and using one of those leaf blowers?

Greg5278
07-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I wonder if tumbling them or soaking them with Castrol Super Clean would release most of the rubber stuck on the bullets. It is Sodium Hydroxide caustic base with a few other chemicals to make it more effective. From my experience it will attack rubber, such as tire sidewalls. Lead being a much more noble metal should not suffer significant corrosion.
The dry tumbling idea will release some lead dust which I would recommend staying away from.
Greg

LET-CA
07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
One hot Sunay afternoon, I was laying in the hammock, drinking a beer, and watching my wife mow the yard.
The nosey neighbor lady from across the street was so outraged, she shouted at me, "You should be hung!"
I took a drink of my ice cold beer, raise my dark Raybans, looked directly at the nosey bitch, and calmly replied.
"I am. That's why she is mowing the yard."

Priceless!

9.3X62AL
07-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Waksupi, yer my hero!

We don't have very many kids in our neighborhood, but one family across the street has boys from 8-13 who think boolit casting is really cool, and the smelting part is best of all. You would think those ingots were made of gold, to see their rapt attention when I pour the smelted metal. Their dad isn't a shooter, but I can see the day coming when they'll want to return lead to earth. Right now, the smelting and casting has their attention--and I'll leave it at that.

largecaliberman
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Wayne Smith,

I'll try that one. I have a small mixer that I use to tumble my brass in. Thanks

largecaliberman
07-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Moonman 76,

A majority of the rubber is/are the foam type and those do float. However, the idea of a blower is a good one. I'll use that Wayne Smith suggested after using a blower. Thanks to all.

44woody
07-24-2006, 06:36 PM
well here it the way I get aroung mt pita neighbor and it is very simple just do it at night I think your neghbor sister live near me couse I have the same problem had the cops here had the epa here had the county people here the cop gave the idea to me about doing it at night been doing it for about 2 years now not one complant but ever once in a while I do get the police choper circling me for a while :castmine: 44Woody

georgeld
08-01-2006, 02:52 AM
After the stinking black smoke from the neighbors fireplace they don't dare complain about what little I blow in the sky!

Have picture's of it too. mailed them one!

Tickled the hell out of me today. Was running my well water and the wind blew some on her dark green car pulled up almost against my trk bumper to block me in. It dries with hardness white spots that are a SOB to get off things.
I went out to move the sprinkler after about 6-8 hours and she was standing there looking at the water puddling on the lawn. she promptly turned and walked in the house looking around the corner post while I moved it. Not a word was said but the car's moved about 20 feet back from where it was. I do hope she took a taste of it sometime!! Can't brush the nasties out in five tries!!
Nope, that's just hardness, no alkalai, or acid at all, it's 7.0 for you guys that are gonna grab this one. Tests in excess of 250grs hardness. Wish I could turn it into bullets somehow!!

nighthunter
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Why do you think they call then condom bullets in the first place? If you are a little more carefull where you shoot your gun you won't need to put one on.
Nighthunter

Hackleback
08-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Put a lid on the pot. It is that simple. Smelting painted/dirty/oily/valve stems wheel weights will smoke a lot. I have found that placing the dutch oven lid on the smelting pot will reduce a lot of the smoke. When you do lift the lid, be careful, the smoke could flash (I have not had it happen yet). Good luck