PDA

View Full Version : PP with GC or PP w/out GC?

Fire_stick
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM
It seems I always see this or a similar question in the posts. I had the same question. So I set out to investigate.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, and it is late, so I will post the scanned results for your comment and discussion.

The powder is Lil'Gun. The bullet is a cast AC WW C358-180RF. Gun is a Rossi M92 with iron sites.

This was part of a load development for a hog and deer round, where powder charges ranged from 15.0 gr to 15.5 gr. At all loads, the PP only bullet grouped better. I have other targets if anyone is interested in seeing those results. The 15.5 gr charge was almost as impressive, but there was one flier, so the jury is still out. Oh well, I guess that means I will have to drag myself the the Ranch House and do some more shooting. Dang!

Thanks to Junior Doughtry's excellent article for the inspiration to try this bullet and get it to function in the Rossi M92. http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm
Ira

303Guy
04-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I would be interested in the other targets. What paper did you use? Have you tried paper patching over the G/C? (This I ask because leaving the G/C bare is adding another variable and I feel a G/C could help reduce rifling feathering on the base).

pdawg_shooter
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I have compared with and without checks in all my rifle loads and in no case did the check help. I did patch over the check when I tried this. I had thought the check would give me a square and smoother base but I couldn't find any difference in accuracy.

docone31
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Skip the check.
Just an extra step.