PDA

View Full Version : Star lubrisizer help

blk43
04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I acquired a Star Lubrisizer and have a difficult time getting enough lube in the holding tube to last very long. About an inch and a half and I virtually can't get the cap on and as I do, lube squirts out of the release hole on the side of the holding cavity. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and have any advise? Better yet, does anyopne have any type of instructions that I can have a copy of. I've done a internet search to no avail.

Thanks for any insight that may be offered.

Bruce
blk43@sbcglobal.net

ph4570
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Instructions are available at:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/manuals

Click on "Star Sizer" and you should get a pdf.

As for leaking out the release hole. I seem to recall others having that issue (I have not). Perhaps they will chime in.

blk43
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks PH. I just downloaded the instructions. Funny, Magma never came up in my search.

Bruce

R.M.
04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
If it's up to the hole, and not over it, I can lube over 1K .45 pistol bullets. Are you adjusting your pressure as you go. It's something that needs to be done continually.

garandsrus
04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Bruce,

I don't think you pulled out the spring/plunger assembly before adding lube. The sizer should accept a full lube stick which is about 4" long when it's close to empty.

John

cricco
04-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Are you sure the lube was empty before you added? I added carnuba red to my Saeco sizer, thinking it was empty. I have sized 1000 boolits, and I'm still getting green lube without a sign of red yet. If it's overfull it might cause a problem.

fredj338
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Bruce,

I don't think you pulled out the spring/plunger assembly before adding lube. The sizer should accept a full lube stick which is about 4" long when it's close to empty.

John
Sounds like it. You turn the shaft over & screw it into the plunger & pull it out. Add lube & replace the plunger.

blk43
04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks all. I am pulling the spring plunger and adding my own lube maybe 2" long. I crank the pressure arm about every 3 bullets but i'm only getting mabe 100 bullets (5 groove .338 caliber) before I run out. If I add more lube it takes a gorilla to push the plunger far enough down to get the cap to begin to thread. I'll just keep trying. thanks agian.

Bruce

deltaenterprizes
04-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Heat?

fredj338
04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks all. I am pulling the spring plunger and adding my own lube maybe 2" long. I crank the pressure arm about every 3 bullets but i'm only getting mabe 100 bullets (5 groove .338 caliber) before I run out. If I add more lube it takes a gorilla to push the plunger far enough down to get the cap to begin to thread. I'll just keep trying. thanks agian.

Bruce
It will take some effort to get the plunger back in once it is empty. I have to lean on mine pretty hard to get a new stick in place & the plunger cap screwed down. More Wheaties blk43.[smilie=s:

crabo
04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks all. I am pulling the spring plunger and adding my own lube maybe 2" long. I crank the pressure arm about every 3 bullets but i'm only getting mabe 100 bullets (5 groove .338 caliber) before I run out. If I add more lube it takes a gorilla to push the plunger far enough down to get the cap to begin to thread. I'll just keep trying. thanks again.

Bruce

Heat makes a huge difference. You can pull the plunger pretty easy if the lube is warm enough. You should have hardly any thread showing and feel the plunger bottom out when it is empty. If you don't have a heater, use a heat gun and warm the tube up before you pull it. I use a Lyman heater plugged into a light dimmer switch. It doiesn't take long to find the right spot where a little heat makes things work so much easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=182761

Did you buy a new one or a used one? If you bought used, you might need to take it out to the garage, place it on some newspaper, and melt out all the old lube. Take out the screws and die so you can get it really clean.

I use a ultility knife and slice my lube sticks into 4 verticle pieces when I reload my Star. I think it helps get the air out of the system quicker.

blikseme300
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
I used to refill using a stick of lube but it is a beast getting the plunger down without heat.

I now refill using melted lube. I pour the melted lube into the cylinder until it reaches the small vent hole. I fit the plunger when the lube has cooled enough to turn solid. I refill each time after a lube-sizing session so it is ready and full for the next session.

Bliksem

cajun shooter
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
BLK43, It sounds as if you have a series of problems going on at once. Sometimes starting out fresh is the best way. Buy a heat gun from Harbour Freight and take out the big brass screw at the bottom right side of the machine. Heat the main tube until it is empty and you can see the bottom. The machine is designed to use 4" tubes of lube. Make sure that your Mycar bushing and spring set up match the drawing. It also sounds as if the lube you are using is very hard if you are bearing down on it. Buy a piece of aluminum that will allow your Star and a small travel iron from Wally World will fit on. Turn on your iron to a low to med setting and keep trying to lube bullets until the grooves fill out. Back off the heat and mark the dial. You should not have to up the pressure on your Star until after 15 or 20 bullets. Save and buy the air cylinder for a more simple life. If you want to use the 6" sticks you may use a hose clamp and close off the weep hole when you install the air.

blk43
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great responses. My lube is selfmade , not as hard as some but not like Javelina. The ideas here give me plenty of things wo work on. And, I've doubled my intake of wheaties and added oatmeal. [B]:-} Thanks again.