PDA

View Full Version : Smelter

redneckdan
07-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I cut open a 20lb propane tank I got from ktw in a lead swap. Got a nice hard wood fire goin under/around it and I'll be danged if that bugger don't melt a 300l charge in under 45minutes. I was on my second charge when a Kampus Kop pulled up and startin pissin and moanin about open fires in th city limits, i told him we were actually in portage township so there was no laws against open burnin. He told me to wrap it up, he'd be back in an hour and the fire better be out. I've got burner guns from an old furnace but I need a propane regulator, anybody got one layin around?

KYCaster
07-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I might have one out in the shop, I'll take a look in the morning.

I've been useing a 20lb propane bottle with the top cut out on a turkey fryer for quite a while, but 100lb of WW is all I can fit in it. I have a 40lb bottle, but I don't know if I want to trust that on a turkey fryer.

I'll let you know what I find.

Jerry

Ken O
07-22-2006, 10:05 PM
You can pick up a propane regulater at Home Depot in the gas grill area. They are 10-15 bucks.

redneckdan
07-23-2006, 12:38 AM
I might have one out in the shop, I'll take a look in the morning.

I've been useing a 20lb propane bottle with the top cut out on a turkey fryer for quite a while, but 100lb of WW is all I can fit in it. I have a 40lb bottle, but I don't know if I want to trust that on a turkey fryer.

I'll let you know what I find.

Jerry

are you sure you can only get 100lbs? I can get 8 +25lbs ingots out of a charge with extra in the pot.

redneckdan
07-23-2006, 12:39 AM
You can pick up a propane regulater at Home Depot in the gas grill area. They are 10-15 bucks.

No home depot, lowes, builder square, sears, etc for over 100 miles from houghton.

Dale53
07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
redneckdan;
You surely have a propane dealer in the area? They should be able to help you. Ask if they have any used ones on hand. Some time ago I bought two used tanks AND a regulator from a propane dealer...

Dale53

georgeld
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Dale:
Do you know IF the new tank valve's will screw into the old 5 gal/20lb tanks?

I got hung out to dry with about 15 of them nobody will fill. So I refill them myselt with a jumper hose from a 100#, have two of those.

But, I'd like to have new valve's on a few of them and sure can't afford to buy new tanks. I did buy one new 10gal/40#, OUCH!

Thanks,

George:castmine:

StarMetal
07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I know when I worked at a hardware store in Ohio, that refilled propane tanks of all sizes, that tanks are dated. They are dated for safety reasons. After the date expires you can get it recertified or discard it and get a new tank. It's a Federal law I believe. So if you rebuilt an old tank with the new valve, your tank will eventually expire the test date.

Joe

KYCaster
07-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Dan: I dug out the regulator I had in the shop. I'll be happy to let you have it just for the shipping cost, but I don't know if you can use it. It has 3/4in. pipe thread inlet and outlet and I doubt that you can find an adaptor to hook it up to a grill tank. It may be easier to find a junk grill and swipe the regulator and hose off that.

George: Just take your old tank down to the local Stop N Rob and trade it for a full one. All their exchange tanks pass the current code and I've never had them refuse to take one of my old ones. It costs about five bucks more than getting yours filled, but it beats paying Wally World twenty bucks for an empty tank.

Jerry

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Dan i dont know what your budget will allow as a student but walmart there should have a turkey cooker. You can usually pick them up for about 50 bucks. Heck take the aluminum kettle you get with it put some ice in it stick a few beers in there and i bet youd have a waiting line on campus of students that would smelt for you. Just tell some of those finlanders up there your going to take em smelting! Let em dip ww tabs!

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2006, 06:24 AM
hey Dan why dont you hit up one of the professors there at tech to design you a real smelter. While there at it see if they can automate 5 square deals and a couple star sizers for me. Now those would be some good student projects!!!

waksupi
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I switched off all my old tanks at Walmarts, and convienience store with the bottle exchange deal. Never had a problem making a swap.

Dale53
07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Redneckdan;
As others have stated, I traded my old tanks off to Walmart. They charged me a small fee (as I remember, about $5.00 per tank) but I am now "up to date".

Dale53

Bigscot
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I have some old tanks and I get them filled at a gas supply house. I just had to stencil on them "No OPD, for welding use only".

On the regulators, just make sure you get the right type. The turkey fryers use a high pressure regulator. I believe the gas grills use a low pressure regulator.

Bigscot

HTRN
07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Most Turkey fryers use a reg that goes to 20 psi. Most other Propane devices with a nonadjustable reg, like bbq's are fixed at 5 psi. Fuel Gas Regs, which look like OA regulators and are meant to be used with high pressure combustable gases like Propane for welding, go to 50psi on the output side.

HTRN

redneckdan
07-29-2006, 12:06 AM
turkey fryer ain't in the budget. I do know a guy down in the foundry and I might be able to talk him into melting up my lead in the 500lb induction furance they have set up for lead.