PDA

View Full Version : LEE TL boolits through a Lyman 4500?

paul45120
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Has anyone here used the Lyman 4500 to size and lube LEE TL boolits?
I've had fair results with the LLA lube but it seems a bit messy and slow.
What would be a good lube to use with a lube/sizer for the TL boolits? These would be LEE 45cal. TL 228gn boolits cast from WW.

Maven
04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Running TL CB's through a lube sizer, even if you don't size them, really defeats their purpose: Cast 'em; swish in liquid alox; let dry; load and shoot. Having said that, I must also say that I've done it using Felix Lube. The good news is lube coverage was excellent and maybe a bit of time was saved. The bad news is the largest sizing die I have also sized the CB, which wasn't as accurate as the unsized, liq. alox lubed versions. Botttom line: If you have a sizing die which is large enough to lube without resizing, then by all means try it.

paul45120
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
The thing is I don't have a lube/sizer as of yet. I'm trying to justify the cost. I'll have about 15K +/- to lube / size once I get going with casting full scale.
About half will be used in my 1911 for our pistol matches with the rest ran through my subgun at matches and for fun.

gray wolf
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
If I had to do 15 K bullets I would get a new mold and a star sizer. but if money was an issue and it always seems to be, perhaps a used 450 Lyman and try the TL bullets.

paul45120
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
If I had to do 15 K bullets I would get a new mold and a star sizer. but if money was an issue and it always seems to be, perhaps a used 450 Lyman and try the TL bullets.

GW what mold would you get? I have my doubts about the LEE mold lasting for 15K boolits.

NSP64
04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
15000 boolits!!!!

Is this for the whole year?

I would get 2 or 3 6 cavity TL molds from lee and go to town. Then just LLA them. I cut my LLA with mineral spirits, they dry quicker and are less sticky.

What size pot are you using?

paul45120
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
15000 boolits!!!!

Is this for the whole year?

I would get 2 or 3 6 cavity TL molds from lee and go to town. Then just LLA them. I cut my LLA with mineral spirits, they dry quicker and are less sticky.

What size pot are you using?

That's to get me through the summer. What can I say I'm a "shoot-aholic":smile:

RobS
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Dang..........15000 boolits for just the summer ..........."shoot-aholic"? Could be and IMO if you want yourself the best outcome it would be a traditional lube groove bullet mold design, a Magma Star lube/sizer, and a progressive press. On the other side I'm sure you could do it all with LLA and be fine as well. Money comes down to it and if you have it or are willing the lay the cash down then you may be advancing yourself to a Star lube/sizer. I don't shoot as much as you as I couldn't afford that many rounds a year so I have no problems with an RCBS Lube-a-matic (same style or type of press as the Lyman 45/450/4500 presses)

HangFireW8
04-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Has anyone here used the Lyman 4500 to size and lube LEE TL boolits?
I've had fair results with the LLA lube but it seems a bit messy and slow.
What would be a good lube to use with a lube/sizer for the TL boolits? These would be LEE 45cal. TL 228gn boolits cast from WW.

Most all lubes are messy and slow. LLA is as fast as it gets.

For huge volumes such as yours, (assuming it works well in your guns) I can't imagine anything faster.

-HF

DLCTEX
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I lube the RD 460-350 and RD 460-420 boolits (they are TL design) in my RCBS lubesizer. I sized them .459 as that's what the 460-350 is dropping from the mould I got from Lee's surplus items (probably why RD sent them back. They shoot fine with no leading in the Marlin guide gun lubed with 50/50 + carnuba. Since I have to gas check them I'd just as well lube them at the same time. I can't see why anyone would have problems with lubing them through the lubesizer if you are just kissing the micro lands. I recommend the RCBS over the Lyman as it's stronger built and has a better warranty.

skimmerhead
04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
i also use some lee tumble lube molds, and regular lube groove molds. when i T L i do not have a problem with a mess, i put boolits in a pan add alox put em on some wax paper in a cookie pan dry em with a heat gun about 10 min. run em through lee sizer die, relube same way except i put 2or3 hundred in a zip lock bag, then i add a pinch of fine mica powder i got from midway zip the bag, roll em around and then dump em in what ever and you have non sticky no mess boolit. i can do 500 boolits ready to load in short order, if you try this method it only takes a small amount of mica, 2 or 3 hundred boolits use about the size of a pea on the end of a flat screwdriver. works for me.

skimmerhead