PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-Spec, opinions?

Dutch4122
07-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Just curious if anyone here has anything good, bad, or indifferent to say about these pistols. They have a little better sights than the GI 1911-A1 and the ejection port is apparently opened up larger than the GI type pistols made by Springfield. They are available in blue/park'd or stainless.

I tried to post a link to the pistol on Springfield Armory's site, but had no luck.

TIA,

redneckdan
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I have the milspec stainless. Love it. NO problems. shooter right from the box. first 300 were WWB hardball. I'm up around 4k now (all cast) and not a problem to be had.

Dutch4122
07-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I have the milspec stainless. Love it. NO problems. shooter right from the box. first 300 were WWB hardball. I'm up around 4k now (all cast) and not a problem to be had.

Sounds good, how do you like the higher profile fixed 3 dot sights? I've never been a huge fan of 3 dot sight systems; but I guess I could remove the white paint.

KYCaster
07-22-2006, 11:23 PM
I got the GI model, mainly because it was cheap. It shot very well right out of the box.

Looks like the only difference is the sights and ejection port.

I had a bunch of parts so wanted it for a project gun. Opened up the ejection port. Put in a long ejector, full length guide rod, S&A mag well, Swensen ambi safety, King's grip safety, Videcki trigger, McCormick hammer and sear and have a set of King's fixed sights to put on it when I can get to a milling machine. (maybe next week) Those teeny weeny GI sights kinda disappear when you're looking through bifocals.

I've been very pleased with it, but after about 10k rounds, groups have opened up quite a bit as the new wears off. I think a new bushing may cure that.

Overall, a very nice gun for the money.

I've never been impressed with the three dot/straight eight/green weenie/red ramp sights. Seems like square notch/square post, black-on-black works best for me most of the time, but then, this is strictly a target/competition gun, not for serious carry.

Jerry

redneckdan
07-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Sounds good, how do you like the higher profile fixed 3 dot sights? I've never been a huge fan of 3 dot sight systems; but I guess I could remove the white paint.

I do like the higher profile sights. I focus on the white front and ignore the other two dots. Put the white over the sternum on a IDPA target and I can pop 0s all the way to 25yds.

Char-Gar
07-30-2006, 07:29 AM
I bought a Springer GI a year of so ago. It was a good enough pistol, but the accuracy was sub-standard even after 500 rounds to break it in. Groups ran about 4 to 5 inches at 25 yards.

In installed a Colt barrel and groups shrank to 2 to 2.5 at the same distance. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to break the code on the problem.

The Springer uses a two piece barrel, but I don't know if that was the genesis of the problem or something else. Anyway... my Springer barrel was a ***.

This is just my experience and doesn't seem to be the norm.

Dutch4122
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks to all for the replies as this gives me food for thought. Back in my college days I had one of the Springfield 1911-A1 GI clones. The brown plastic grips broke on the 4th shot and from there it was nothing but misery. Spent a lotta $$ (for a college kid) on that piece trying to get it to feed reliably; and the damn thing even ruined several Pachmeyer stainless magazines because of a strange habit of the extractor/ejector loosing control of the 7th round after it had been fired. Fired casing would barely make it out of the chamber, slide would not lock back and try to move back into battery. Fired casing would tie the whole mess up and end up at an angle at the top of the magazine, bending the feed lips so bad you could barely get the magazine out of the gun. The gun was accurate, though, so I kept working with it to no avail. Finally sold it off to pay some tuition.

Now I feel the need for another 1911 in .45 ACP. Gotta say I really like the looks of these Springfield Mil-Spec guns. The sights are better as has been mentioned and they basically have a couple other mods done at the factory for reliability. However, they are not $800 wanna-be race guns, I want a stock looking 1911 under $600 that I can use for an informal plinker without all the fancy mods and price tag. They seem to fit the bill for what I want.
I've just been leery about Springfield after my last experience almost 20 years ago.Sounds to me like quality has improved with they're lower end models since then.

Thanks again for all your input,

sundog
07-30-2006, 11:15 AM
The Springfield GI Chargar mentions is a purdy good'un. A little work and it's 'there'.

On the cover of the Aug 06 American Rifleman is the new Taurus PT1911. Really nice looking piece. Almost enough so that I may have to go take a looksee at one. Write up is by Wiley Clapp. He says it's a good bang for the buck at $600US. sundog

eljefe
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I have one, it's a shooter! I have shot about 1000 rounds through it with no failures; it has shot jacketed and lead semi-wadcutters equally well. The only change I made was put on a set of vz grips. I am very pleased with mine!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/mikehorst/IMG_0165.jpg

gregg
07-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Have a GI springer. Feeds anything I have feed it. Can keep it off hand
on a paper plate at 50 Yds. Does not dent brass throwned thru the
small ejection port. I like it. Like the old time look. Nice walnut grips
but not crazy about the US on the grip. New GI's look like the grips
are made from palet wood.

jballs918
07-30-2006, 03:15 PM
hey just a idea. if you are looking for a 45 have you looked at teh xd from sa. they are really nice. and also they hold 13 or 14. im just not sure if you are set on a 1911. i know hte xds are pretty close in price

redneckdan
07-30-2006, 04:02 PM
THe new GIs have rosewood grips. My springer does not have the 2 peice barrel.

StarMetal
07-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Those second rate two piece barrels only went to folks up in Canada. [smilie=1: :kidding:

Joe

Char-Gar
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I picked up a Norinco 1911A1 in cherry condition at a local hock shop for $280 out the door. I didn't intent on keeping it, but using it as trading stock. I thought I could make a buck out of it.

Then I shot, it and it would shooting rings around the Springer GI and just as good as my new Colt GM. Stone cold reliable as well. I decided it was a keeper and installed a King Hardball rear and Brown front sight. I installed some mesquite grips and cleaned up the trigger pull a mite. I did all the work myself, so the cast was very low.

I like it so well, I swaped the aforementioned Springer GI for another Norinco and gave it the same treatment. The trigger is a little heavier but it is just as accurate and just as reliable.

I am very well pleased with my pair of Norincos. I am also pleased with my 2005 production Colt GM. I changed out the flat housing for an arched and the long trigger for a short steel one. It too wears Mesqute grips.

No fancy tricked out 1911s for me. I like to stay as close to the stock 1911A1 configuration as I can get.

I have had several score 1911s over the years, and I have learned not to try and make them what the are not. They are so darn good at being what they were designed to be. Most problems occure when folks start to jack with the basic design and add this or that do-dad or gee-gaw!

Baldy
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
That's one of the great features of the 1911 is you can do what you want for how much you want to speend. All I fool with is grips and screws. If anything has to be done inside the hood, I get a pro. Feild strip for cleaning and inspection and that's it for me. I still enjoy reading about how these guys modify there guns and things. Here's my new S&W scandium PD with custom grips and SS screws.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/4Baldy/IMG_1239Small.jpg