PDA

View Full Version : A little OT

Bret4207
04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
SO I bought a 25K watt Pincor PTO alternator at auction. Took it to the electrical shop first thing and they tell me it's practically new! Just weathered. So does have experience with this type of stuff? I'm looking for info on how the transfer switches I see work. For $200.00+ I would think they're more than just a "mains" switch. Previously, with my 5K genset, I threw the mains to off and used a double ended heavy gauge wire into my 220 side at the barn to backfeed the barn, house and garage. I know that's not kosher, but I haven;t got money to waste either.

Thoughts and opinion welcomed.

Mk42gunner
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Bret have you tried Google? I found some info on smaller Pincor's, but not specifically what you were asking about.

How big (HP) does the tractor have to be to putout 25kw?

Robert

Bret4207
04-29-2010, 07:38 AM
45-50 hp at 540 RPM. I'm looking more for info on just what the $200.00+ transfer switches do.

largom
04-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Bret, I have a 22KW Gen. [gas engine] for back-up. Did not want the expense of a transfer switch and panel so I installed a seperate 50 amp breaker in my house panel. I ran #6 wire from this breaker, under-ground in conduit, to a 50 amp recept. [used for electric stoves & welders] in my shop. A short double ended [male ends] cord connects my Gen. to this recept. when needed. I must turn the main breaker off in my house when using the Gen. but my Gen. will then power my house and shop. May not be fit and proper but it works well.

Larry

Beekeeper
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Brett,
The transfer switch is for automatic unattended transfer and startup.
For a PTO set up I do not think you need one.
A simple breaker and one or the other bar will suffice.
A one or the other bar is a simple piece of metal that will allow you to have either the PTO generator or the normal Main engaged, but only one at a time.
The transfer switch does it automaticly as soon as I t senses that there is no power at the main.
It will disengage the main and close the standby breaker.
Not much help on a PTO driven generator.
It does have one good feature as it will automaticly transfer back to normal power when power returns.

Hope this helps some.

Jim

scrapcan
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Also not all transfer switches will power the entire panel. Some you must dedicated circuits that will be run by the transfer switch. These become critical loads like furnace, well pump, lights, etc...

Bret4207
04-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Okay, now I got the idea. Thanks guys. Our main concern is water in the winter. 25K will power both pumps and everything else I own too!