PDA

View Full Version : may I ask a favor

redriverhunter
04-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I just slugedmy Marlin 336 with a cast boolit of ww and and range lead. did not have too much trouble going through the entire barrel. From what i have read I need the barrel slugged and from where the rifling start to about a the length of the boolit. may i ask someone who has the skills to measure them for me, I would be very greatfull
thanks redriverhunter.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-28-2010, 12:04 AM
You just want someone to mic the slugs? If so I can for you. Just pm me and I will give you my address.

redriverhunter
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
thanks for the response pm to be sent thank you

geargnasher
04-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I just slugedmy Marlin 336 with a cast boolit of ww and and range lead. did not have too much trouble going through the entire barrel. From what i have read I need the barrel slugged and the chamber. may i ask someone who has the skills to measure them for me, I would be very greatfull
thanks redriverhunter.

Shoot boolits that are at least .310", preferably .311" in that gun, assuming it has the "Micro-Groove" barrel. Marlin was very consistent in bore size, about .3085" groove diameter. The micro-grooves prefer a fatter boolit than normal.

You don't give us many details on your load, boolit type, lube type, crimp, boolit size, gas check or not, etc.

If you were to knock on my door with your Marlin in hand I would first work on cleaning the lead out to see what was UNDERNEATH it, I suspect copper jacket fouling galore causing the lead to stick. You won't EVER get lead-free shooting unless ALL of the copper residue from past sins is removed!

You don't need a chamber slug unless you're fine-tuning accuracy or making a careful selection for a new mould, you can load "dummy" rounds and chamber them until you get your seating depth correct. The only caveat here is you don't want to eliminate your chamber NECK clearance or you could invite pressure problems, but with .311" boolits my neck clearance is about .0004-5" (yes, ten-thousandths) and with milder loads this works ok in my gun.

Need more info.

Gear

jdgabbard
04-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Hey redriverhunter, out of curiosity, where abouts ok/tx you from?

DLCTEX
04-28-2010, 02:40 AM
There is a Red River up North. I'll bet it's not as red as ours though. It was really red last week and just about thick enough to walk on the water.

redriverhunter
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I am shooting a lee 170 gn mold lubed with lee alox sized 309 will lee push through with gas check, I load with 30 grains of win 748, I ordered the ranch dog 311 and wanted to be certain that it would be safe to shoot
i am from wichita falls tx
thanks mike

Hurricane
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
The 309 bullet is probably to small for your rifle. I recommend you get a 311 sizer and use it for all of your 30 caliber rifles. Lead is very soft compared to the steel in the rifle barrel and the bullet will easily squeese down to fit the barrel. I am also waiting on the NOE run of the Ranch Dog 311-165. It should be a great bullet for the 30-30. In the meantime your Lee mold will also give you very good bullets.