PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 lubing problems

RKJ
04-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Guys, I got Lyman 4500 and I don't know if I put the lube in correctly. I am using orange lube instead of the black that came with the unit. I opened it up and inserted the lube over the nut, but the directions talk about O rings and I'm not sure if I should have pulled those. The lube is sitting on top of the rings as best I can tell. I read through the threads but didn't really get a good answer to my problem. I might not have the screw turned down enough but I'm not sure. Help! :)

chaos
04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Guys, I got Lyman 4500 and I don't know if I put the lube in correctly. I am using orange lube instead of the black that came with the unit. I opened it up and inserted the lube over the nut, but the directions talk about O rings and I'm not sure if I should have pulled those. The lube is sitting on top of the rings as best I can tell. I read through the threads but didn't really get a good answer to my problem. I might not have the screw turned down enough but I'm not sure. Help! :)

You have to back off on the ratchet entirely, the top cover or nut comes off and then under it is a plug that has an o-ring on it. This plug is what compresses the lube and pushes it into the die as it is compressed. Lube has to go under this plug with the orings on it.

RKJ
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
You have to back off on the ratchet entirely, the top cover or nut comes off and then under it is a plug that has an o-ring on it. This plug is what compresses the lube and pushes it into the die as it is compressed. Lube has to go under this plug with the orings on it.

Yep, I just looked at a schematic and I put it in on top of the O ring. Oh well I'll clean it up tomorrow and start over, at least I can look at it as a learning experience. Thanks Chaos.

Dale53
04-28-2010, 01:07 AM
chaos;
Kudos to you for that straight forward answer that REALLY should help the OP with his problem.

I just came from a photography forum where a newbie asked a question that could have simply been answered and he was barraged with a veritable landslide of insults because he (how dare he) didn't know the answer to the question he asked.

It is good to see someone who is a real human being (of course, nearly all on this forum are, and that's a fact) after getting off that photo forum.

Carry on, my man!:bigsmyl2:

Dale53

RKJ
04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Well I'm back. I got the lube out real easy (put the 4500 in boiling water, dropped right out) but the plug is stuck at the bottom of the reservoir. I can't figure out how to get it up to the top. I called Lyman but they closed 2 hours aqo. Any ideas? Oh, I've turned the bolt both ways to the max but no go.

Echo
04-29-2010, 01:40 AM
1/4" socket on the screw, use the 1/4" ratchet to TIGHTEN (turn clockwise), and if the pressure nut doesn't back out, you will have to get creative. If it doesn't back out, that means the pressure nut is spinning down there - you must hold it some way so that the screw will do it's thing. A sharpened screwdriver has been suggested. A third hand would come in handy...

RKJ
04-29-2010, 06:22 AM
I got it out last night, I had it off the bench and noticed (after awhile that it was out quite a ways I used a 1/4" drive to get it out but had to use a socket extension and finally a screwdriver and a 9mm case to drive it out. I also had to use brake parts cleaner to clean out the gunk left in there from the factory. I got it out though and now just need to adjust it to get it to work. Thanks again for all the help.