PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz!

fourarmed
04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
OK, here is the question. Last night I was sizing/lubing some 3118 boolits. I was using a Lyman 4500 with a .310 die and FWFL. When I ejected the boolit from the die, the lube would slip out of the lube grooves. It was virtually impossible to get a properly lubed boolit. Why?

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
OK, here is the question. Last night I was sizing/lubing some 3118 boolits. I was using a Lyman 4500 with a .310 die and FWFL. When I ejected the boolit from the die, the lube would slip out of the lube grooves. It was virtually impossible to get a properly lubed boolit. Why?

The only time I've had this happen is sizing bullets that were water quenched and the grooves weren't quite dry. Most the time the bullet just pops up with any lube in the groove, but does like you described too. So something is preventing the lube from sticking...water, oil, etc.. Could be in the lube too, who knows until you solve this for us!! :smile:

NSP64
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
were you using a heater? I have had the boolits get hot and the lube fall out.

snake river marksman
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
A lemented mould and the boolits are too smooth?

runfiverun
04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
shoulda bought ric's loobgrooves.
you need some sticky in the lube.
lanolin or a bit of vaseline could do the trick.

waksupi
04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
The only time I've had this happen is sizing bullets that were water quenched and the grooves weren't quite dry. Most the time the bullet just pops up with any lube in the groove, but does like you described too. So something is preventing the lube from sticking...water, oil, etc.. Could be in the lube too, who knows until you solve this for us!! :smile:

Same experience here. But, I WILL accept orders on loob grooves if you need some...

45-70 Chevroner
04-27-2010, 08:05 PM
The only time I'v had it happen is when using Lyman's Molly Lube it does not stick well at all.

I won't be buying any more of it. Still have 3 hollow sticks left.

leadman
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I have been having this same trouble with Carnuba Red. It does not fall out right away, but a couple hours later.
I have been running the boolits into the die twice and it seems to help. I think the lube was not forming well at the points were it comes around the boolits from the holes in the dies. The lube was touching, but not forced together to make one solid piece.

Houndog
04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I tend to think there's something in the grooves keeping the lube from sticking. Wash a few in Acetone, let them dry and try again. Felixs lube is my lube of choice for most of my boolets.

miestro_jerry
04-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Your lube is too hard and/or too dry.

I use something to heat the lube in the sizer. If you don't want to get a heater for the luber sizer, use a blow dryer.

But don't heat it up too much or it will run out of the lube grooves.

Jerry

MT Gianni
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Your lube is too hard and/or too dry.

I use something to heat the lube in the sizer. If you don't want to get a heater for the luber sizer, use a blow dryer.

But don't heat it up too much or it will run out of the lube grooves.

Jerry

A trouble light with an incandescent bulb works great. Turn it off an on as you need flow.

fourarmed
04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Starmetal and Waksupi nailed it. They were water dropped, and I tried to size/lube them the same evening that I cast them. They appeared to be dry, but they weren't dry enough. Next morning, they obeyed the LAW - as we all must.

hipirn
04-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Actually it helps if the bullets are warm also! hipirn

steg
04-28-2010, 02:21 AM
I have some primers to trade for lube grooves, I know the primers are good, I tested everyone of them.............steg