PDA

View Full Version : Melted Lube in 450 sizer

30yrcaster
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Hello,

I got some homemade lube I'd like to try in my 450 lub/sizer. If I pour the melted lube into the lube resevour, will it leak out the bottom? I was hoping to leave it mounted to the bench but don't want a mess if it runs out.

Thanks!!

NuJudge
07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a lot of NRA 50/50 lube that I bought in bricks. When it's time to fill up Lyman 45 or 450 lube machines, I just remove the piston and pour it in up to about 1/2" below the top.

Christopher Dingell

Bucks Owin
07-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I got some homemade lube I'd like to try in my 450 lub/sizer. If I pour the melted lube into the lube resevour, will it leak out the bottom? I was hoping to leave it mounted to the bench but don't want a mess if it runs out.

Thanks!!

If you heat it hot and liquid it "may" leak a little, depending on if the tapered bottom of the screw rod has backed away from the bottom plug...

It shouldn't leak much if it does, and if so just try waiting until the lube hardens at the bottom of the reservoir before you pour any more in....

(Personally, I just jamb the reservoir full of soft "chunks" of lube and let the piston compress it when I go back to sizing..)

FWIW,

Dennis

Wayne Smith
07-21-2006, 10:15 PM
I poured mine into my 45 and it went all over the outside, but none leaked from the inside! Just my bad pouring. Just made some stick moulds, should solve that problem.

Dale53
07-22-2006, 12:05 AM
I melt my lube in a pyrex cup on a coffee warmer. It gets hot enough to melt the lube but not hot enough to "cook" it. When I start sizing and lubing, I turn the coffee warmer on with the cup of lube and when I finish lubing, it is now liquid and easily fills the luber for the next time. The Pyrex cup is like a little pitcher and is easy to guide it while pouring the hot lube. That way, I always start with a full luber.

Dale53