PDA

View Full Version : Over size boolits & standered brass

Fly
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Do I have to size my brass neck larger to except a larger boolit.Or does the mold,
cast under at the neck.My .308 Enfield Slugs .3105 & I plan on getting a lee .312
mold.

I was thinking what do you need to do to fit it into the brass neck.Does that involve
expanding the neck some how?Another die?:killingpc

HangFireW8
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Do I have to size my brass neck larger to except a larger boolit.

Maybe. Probably. Depends on the dies, the mold, and the melt.

Or does the mold, cast under at the neck.

Unless you are casting for a heeled, outside lubricated bullet (read: a few obsolete revolver cartridges), it had better not.

My .308 Enfield Slugs .3105 & I plan on getting a lee .312
mold.

I was thinking what do you need to do to fit it into the brass neck.Does that involve
expanding the neck some how?Another die?:killingpc

Maybe not an entire die, but a new expander or expanding ball perhaps. Call or get your die manufacturer's catalog and see.

Or, just buy a Lyman "M" die. They cost less than some of Redding's replacement sizing balls.

Since I already have a sizable investment in Redding "S" and Competition dies (don't ask), for me it is usually a matter of just swapping out the neck sizing button. The expander balls are stored away somewhere...

-HF

Fly
04-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Man I hate to say this.But the more I look into this casting thing the more I wonder if it's
really for me.

The more I look the more I need to cast for just one cal.I must give this a long hard look before I invest into this.I read this mold is no good.This lube is no good.All the different leads to
use for this gun & that gun.Gas checks,paper wrapping,ect.

You guys know what I,m saying.A new guy is just lost on what to buy & if it's really worth
the so called saving over just buying factory made stuff.
Thank's Fly

mpmarty
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Fly I don't know where you are but you should find someone near you who is already into this game and partner up with them. There is only so much one can learn online and at some point you need to see it for yourself. I cast and reload for 308 win. 45/70 30/284 and 358 winchester as well as 10mm and 45acp and each and every one of them likes a different approach. I couldn't afford to shoot if I had to rely on store bought stuff and even if I were rich I'd miss all the pleasure I get from crafting my own boolits and shooting them.

captaint
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Fly - Sounds like you're getting overwhelmed. Don't. First, get the mold, see where it casts, get maybe a push thru .312 sizer (might not even need it). Load some up and see what happends. Shoot at 50 yds to start. What's the worst that can happen?? Yeah, I know. But do go shoot some and see. enjoy Mike

mooman76
04-26-2010, 11:26 PM
It can be frustrating an mid boggling especially to someone new. If I remember correctly you want to start or only shoot for rifle. That's a little harder way to go as rifle are harder to shoot cast than pistol. Loading is a variable art and when you throw in casting that really changes things because it has even more variables. Like Mpmarty said you are probably better off to find someone close that casts to help you out before you jump in. If you deside to go with a commercial caster, go with a good one like Bullshop here that can make you custom sized bullets rather than one size fits all commercial casters that have given shooting lead bullets a bad name. Sticking with one caliber or gun would be smart at this point. Remember keep it simple to start and branch out later after you get going some.

lead-1
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Fly, I have been in your spot as others and in a lot of ways I still am. My suggestion is don't do too much at once, I wanted to measure this and that and change this and that and mix this and that. The guys here calmed me down and I only do one thing at a time now. I have a decent load and boolit worked up for my rifle and am now working on a revolver.

Slow down, remain calm, try what you have and it will be addicting before you know it.

303Guy
04-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Yup! Remember too, that we are interested in your progress and are kinda eager to hear of your successes.:drinks:

herbert buckland
04-27-2010, 03:43 AM
308 enfield,is it a SMLE if so you are not thinking about 1000yd shoots,this is a very good load to srart with ,get the lee .312 mould yousr 9gr Trail Boss pouder ,a small ball of toilet paper roled up under the boolit ,no filler or gass check,you will have to set your sights on about 500 to get close to point of aim at 100 ,just litly lube boolits with Lee lickwood alox,if this load does not shoot as well as factory loads i will be very suprised,when starting with cast boolits the barell will lead up a bit ,as soon as the group starts to open up clean the barell ,after a wile the leading will disapear and you will be able to shoot all day for a fraction of the price of factroy amo,this is a fist step that seldom failes and is easy to build on,next step gass checks and higher velocity but you may be hapy with step one

303Guy
04-27-2010, 06:18 AM
I had a Lee Enfield with a new barrel (I still have it but the barrel has now had nearly 500rnds of MkVIII cordite machinegun ammo through it). My first cast boolit attempt was with a Lee 311/180gr mold. I didn't know at the time that was for a 308. It shot very poorly. My second attempt was with my home-made mold 220gr G/C. Results were very promising. My powder was AR2208/Varget - 36grs I think? I'll have to check. Not exactly a squib load but very pleasant to shoot.

This is it.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-745F_edited.jpg

The G/C was cast in position and it was surface lubed. I made the mold to the measured dimensions of the throat. I've since improved my molds and casting technique. I'd be happy to share some of the tricks I have learned. For you, it would be real easy to improve on my molds. Also to modify a Lee mold (or any mold) would be real easy.

missionary5155
04-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Good morning Fly
Welcome about and keep at it. Your rifle will shoot Cast Boolits well IF you are willing to go through the procedures.
The easiest path is to give up... The most rewarding is to arrive at the place where you realise you can produce your own Boolits that are every bit as accurate as what you can pay 20 cents each for.
We are Custom Boolit makers. Our product fits the throat and ends up where the firearm is pointed. No waisted powder, or primer. And it really is more fun to shoot a boolit that is the most accurate available.
So yes inicially it seems like almost impossible... But as with any new activity, the growing pains flourish into success only to those who do not quit.
There are some fellers here who will help ya..

Bret4207
04-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Fly, like the guys said- slow down, do one thing at a time and see what happens. Your barrel specs sounds okay so a standard 30 cal boolit design is worth a try. If you're using WW for an alloy it's usually strong enough to stand seating ina slightly undersized case. Standard 30 cal dies don't open the neck quite as much as we'd like for cast, true. But by only partially neck sizing and doing a little judicious belling (and annealing will help too) we can often get very acceptable results.

Pour some boolits, concentrate on making good ones. Then shoot them and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy this can be to get better then plinkling groups, if not remarkable groups.

BTW- I applaud you for wondering if this is for you BEFORE sinking a bunch of mioney in it. It's not for everyone. All you need is a pot a ladle a mould and some alloy and lube to do this.

mdi
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I would suggest getting Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook. Read it through and maybe that will help you decide if casting is for you. My idea/thoughts were to ignore most forum and gunshop info (a lot of opinions are formed about various products from one instance or one item and sometimes just plain ol B.S.) and concentrate on the manuals/books and my "logic" or "horse sense"...;-)

OOPS! I just realized I might have offended the forum. Sorry guys, what I meant is to take what you read on forums as opinions only, not as facts. Most of the posters are genuinely trying to help, but you don't know the source and care must be taken. I've read people strongly recommend full out progressive presses for the new guy who doesn't know a primer from a pipecleaner (yeah it can be done, but it's like trying to learn to drive a car in a Funny Car). So, no offence intended fellas, my intent was to say research first, ask anonymous questions later.

Bret4207
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
mdi- I think most here would agree with your assessment of the run of the mill internet "facts". This is one of the few places I've seen where actual experience tends to temper the "facts" and give the recipients a little better than average grasp of the subject. In fact, a couple years back tearing apart old wives tales and advertising hype was something of a hobby here.

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
mdi- I think most here would agree with your assessment of the run of the mill internet "facts". This is one of the few places I've seen where actual experience tends to temper the "facts" and give the recipients a little better than average grasp of the subject. In fact, a couple years back tearing apart old wives tales and advertising hype was something of a hobby here.

I have to laugh at that post Bret. You mean like mine and 45 2.1's ( and other's) shooting small groups with the Swede? ...or the RPM Threshold Theory?

All in all this is a pretty good forum, but there are many here yes set (cemented more like it) in their ways and won't believe anything.:kidding:

Bret4207
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Actually, no Joe. You didn't even cross my mind.

Fly
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
OK you guy's pushed me over the cliff & I can't look back.I ordered this today.
Lee Production Pot Four Furnace ...

253287 1 Hornady Gas Checks 30 Caliber Bo...

562844 1 Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C312-18... .0312 it cast for g checks

523184 1 Lee Lube and Size Kit .311 Diameter

I already have the smelting pot & dipper from my black powder mold
casting stuff.

I have alot of bees wax that I will mix 50/50 with the alox.I guess this
will get me started.I will get some muffin tins today.I hear soap makes
good flux?

I need to hit that tire shop guy up today & get those wheel weights,dig
out my turkey fryer & my cast iron smelting pot & get the lead ingots made.

If you guys think of anything else please let me know.
Thanks Fly:groner:

looseprojectile
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
To answer your question. Yes you will probably have to size your neck larger for cast boolits. Most all rifle dies are made to seat jacketed bullets, therefore the dies will size the neck too small for lead boolits. Jacketed bullets are tougher and will expand the neck without ruining the bullet.
Lead boolits are sort of tender, comparitively, and need the inside neck of the brass to be very near the diameter, just slightly smaller than the boolit to prevent ruining the boolit when seating it.
Generally speaking cast boolits can be several thousandths larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. Some rifle cartridges I load need no sizing of the brass at all. Just thumb seat a lead boolit. Just have to handle them carefully.
Your .308 loads will have to be made so that a loaded round with the larger boolit, hence larger outside diameter of the neck will easily chamber in your gun.
Please don't force anything. There is joy and a feeling of accomplishment in handloading that few other hobbies can provide. Reloading is not rocket science. Ask a lot of questions and read a lot to get a handle on what you need to know.
Welcome to Cast Boolits.

Life is good

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Actually, no Joe. You didn't even cross my mind.

I'm just saying there are many here who refuse to believe that, not that it crossed your mine.

By the way tell me what ever happen to your Toyota truck?

looseprojectile
04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
After doing some detective work, [reading all your posts] I have a better understanding of who we are trying to help.
The Lee mould you have ordered should work well in all your rifles.[.30 caliber].
If you could see fit to add your location in your user profile someone near you might be able to tutor and mentor you and make your introduction to casting and loading a lot more useful and productive.
You will have to decide whether you will need to alter your dies or make a shop aid here or there to smooth the loading process. The stuff you have ordered is good.
I have no milling machine, though I do have a small lathe and make a lot of small turnings to augment the tools that I buy.
One example is, I have made several Lee type push through sizing dies from unused old reloading dies by just annealing and reaming and polishing.
Old dies can be found at nearly all gun shows in the junk boxes. 7/8"X14 ready rod is a good place to start also. There is absoutely no need to harden mild steel or tool steel to process lead alloys.
I can see that it will be no time before you will be advising some of us with your knowledge and experience. I have made tools and dies but I am no tool and die maker:drinks:.

Life is good

303Guy
04-28-2010, 02:46 AM
I can see that it will be no time before you will be advising some of us with your knowledge and experience.Exactly!:drinks:

Having a Tool and Die Maker on our team is going to be great!:lovebooli

HangFireW8
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
OK you guy's pushed me over the cliff & I can't look back.I ordered this today.

Looks good.

I have alot of bees wax that I will mix 50/50 with the alox.I guess this
will get me started.I will get some muffin tins today.

If that is Lee Liquid Alox, that will probably work, but keep in mind the famous NRA 50/50 mix is Alox 2138F or its replacement 350. LLA uses Alox 606-55HF or somesuch. Alox is like the brand name not the model number. There's hundreds of types of Alox available.

You can experiment if you like, or go the safe route. Both true NRA 50/50 and LLA are well proven when used as directed.

I hear soap makes good flux?

Probably. Most anything with carbon in it that smokes in the melt makes good flux. This statement may cause fistfights but look at how many people swear by all their different favorite types of carbon.

-HF