PDA

View Full Version : Wellcome a Newbe II

strahd_zarovich
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
This is a add-on too: Part I (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82080)

Ok now I have over 60+ pounds of used range lead melted into ingots. I want to cast for my two 9mm (92FS and an M&P). I like the low cost of the Lee moulds, but I have no idea which one to go for. I like the round noise ones and the idea of tumble lube to get in there cheap.

I am looking for thoughts and idea right now.

chris in va
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Here's my take.

After trying several different types and shapes, I'd just go with the most 'traditional' boolit you can get, which would be the 124gr RN design.

On a side note I will tell you that the .355 boolits did not shoot well out of my CZ or carbine. They were undersized for the barrel and I needed to go with a fatter boolit sized to .358 before I saw any real accuracy. Lots of 'keyholing' with the 355's too. Apparently 9mm guns have really shallow rifling that is much quicker than something like a 45 and tends to skid the boolit down the barrel rather than grab it.

Might want to slug your barrel(s) first to find out what size the bore is before continuing.

strahd_zarovich
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Ok so I took a soft lead Rainers plated round and pushed it throught the barrel of my M&P. The round went in as a 356 and came out as a 354. Does this sound right? Did I do this right?

Wayne Smith
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Yep, you did it right. Now, is that measurement bore or groove, argest or smallest. You need the groove measure, the largest. Go .002"over that in a sizer die. In a 9mm you will want to go a llittle hard to grab that rifling at that speed without sliding.

strahd_zarovich
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
That was at the largest part so the grooves I think. So, .002 over would put me at 356 or 357. I will check the 92FS later, but want to only buy one mold.

HORNET
04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Lots of 9 mm's like .357-.358 for sizes. Make sure that a boolit that size will fit into a fired case (to ensure that it can be released) and that one that size will fully chamber. You might have to play with length a little as well. If you have to go significantly shorter, you need to back off on the powder change a little due to reduced case capacity. BTW, tumble lubing has its limitations but will also work with more traditional lube groove designs which can be easier to get good fillout with and also be pan lubed.

strahd_zarovich
04-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanx for all the help. I am a little scared to try and slug my New 92FS as I have just bought it. I will look at the standard lube grooves and start with tumble lube and see what happens.