PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag hardness

fatalone
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
need load data for 44 mag pistol bullets 240 grain

for brinnell hardness of 24.8 and 20.9 how fast can i push these bullets ???

powder 2400

thenaaks
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
depends on how well they fit your bore. got a lot of reading to do on this forum, or you'll have lots of scrubbing lead!

btw, welcome!

Blammer
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I use WW's just air cooled and push them out of my Roogah SRH at 1300 fps, good accuracy and no leading.

I use 19 or 20gr of 2400

Here's some details.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40122

fredj338
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

powder 2400

As noted, it's not about the BHN as much as the bullets fit to the gun. If your cyl throats are small & the groove dia large, the bullet will lead regardless of vel. I run 10BHN bullets to 1200fps in my 44mags w/ little to know leading. Mic the bullet, each cyl throat & slug the bore. Then you'll know where you are going. A BHN of 24, that fits the gun, will easily run to 1500fps.

camoflag3
04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
What if you would like to run these through a rifle as well? should I slug the rifle and the pistol and go for the smaller bore size? what problems will I run into shooting the same cb out of rifle and pistol and is it possible to reach a happy medium doing this?

Also when I am looking fo lead fouling what exzctly should I be looking for?

Im new at making CB's but not reloading

thenaaks
04-26-2010, 08:50 PM
What if you would like to run these through a rifle as well? should I slug the rifle and the pistol and go for the smaller bore size? what problems will I run into shooting the same cb out of rifle and pistol and is it possible to reach a happy medium doing this?

Also when I am looking fo lead fouling what exzctly should I be looking for?

Im new at making CB's but not reloading

hopefully they're about the same...but if not, then i would cast for the larger bore. it won't hurt being a couple thousanths too big, but it will hurt to be too small. i shoot the same boolit out of my taurus pistol and marlin rifle with excellent results. they slugged within a thousanth of eachother.

lead fouling is easy to spot. its the nasty grey smears in an otherwise shiny bore.

thenaaks
04-26-2010, 08:50 PM
i've heard of copper fouling, but never seen it.

MtGun44
04-27-2010, 01:14 AM
As stated, you are falling into the marketing trap of the commercial casters, most of who
know close to zip about loading cast boolits.

Basically, leading has almost nothing to do with hardness, other than too hard and undersized,
a very common situation with commercial cast boolits, will lead most guns. Actually, many cases
of leading are caused by TOO hard - and poor fit.

You should have no problem pushing BHN 10-12 boolits of a good design with a good lube
and PROPER FIT to full max possible velocites in any magnum cartridge.

Harder can help accy or some other things, but is pretty much an independent variable on
velocity - as far as leading is concerned.

FIT is king (I heard that from Bret and he is right). After that worry about design, lube and
THEN you can worry (if you want to) about hardness.

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2010, 07:15 AM
as fast as 2400 will push them if your using a good gun

Down South
04-27-2010, 07:23 AM
I use WW's just air cooled and push them out of my Roogah SRH at 1300 fps, good accuracy and no leading.

I use 19 or 20gr of 2400

Here's some details.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40122
That's the same load that I use with no leading.

Blammer
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Leading looks like small streaks of silver that are peeling off the inside of the barrel, or they are stuck fast and look like tire marks from a car suddenly stopping, a streak here and there.

Bret4207
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM

powder 2400

'Penzon what your gun wants/needs. As noted in the other posts hardness has less to do with how a particular boolit/design/alloy will handle a given pressure in a particular gun than the fit of that boolit in that particular gun with that particular load. Think of it this way- you are creating a custom recipe for your gun, using a custom boolit with a custom load pushing it. You can fit that boolit to your gun and make it do whatever the gun is capable of- within limits. The limits have to do with the alloy, yes, but they also have to do with boolit design, lube, crimp, size, how hard you launch that boolit.....a whole buncha stuff. If you fit the boolit to the gun, that is find the size the gun really likes with that alloy and design, and then work on the ultimate fit (what the throat/barrel do to the boolit at launch) you can run any boolit the gun likes to the maximum ability of the alloy to handle the mechanical stresses of the load.

Asking what the max a given alloy/design/etc. can take is kind of like asking what makes a woman tick. :veryconfu Okay, it's not that bad, but you get the idea.

Size to fit your throat, make as good a boolit as you can and start low. Work up and keep copious records of everything you observe. Never change more than one thing at a time. You should be able to push a good boolit in a good alloy in a good gun nearly as fast or faster than a similar jacketed bullet.

44man
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM

powder 2400
I understand what you are asking and it is a little off. What you should have asked is how accurate you can shoot them, not how fast because either will do all you need in the .44. But one might need a change in the powder and load to shoot the best. Might only be 1/2 gr difference and it is something you must discover by testing.
You are good to go but you need to do the work. Leave the chronograph home and test loads for accuracy first. A hundred FPS difference will not make the .44 less then it is.
Sometimes both hardness boolits will take the same load with no change in the load, the .44 is very forgiving. Relax, don't worry, go shoot.