PDA

View Full Version : Handgun matches

Bucks Owin
07-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Anyone interested in shooting some handgun postal matches around here?

Offhand? BR? Open sight? Scoped? Rimfire? Big bore?

:coffee:

Dennis

David R
07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm in!

"Around here" Ya mean in Kalafornia, or on this message board?

David

Bucks Owin
07-22-2006, 05:01 AM
I'm in!

"Around here" Ya mean in Kalafornia, or on this message board?

David

A postal match or two was what I had in mind....(cast boolit of course, except for rimfire)

Let's see if there's any interest...

Dennis

David R
07-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Off hand as far as you want. If you get out there, we will need bigger than 8 1/2" X 11" :)

I will shoot what ever.

Maven
07-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Dennis, I think it would be a challenge!

Buckshot
07-22-2006, 10:47 AM
...............I have a nice K-38 I could use both offhand and benched.

.................Buckshot

redneckdan
07-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm in. Whats the terms of engagement?

Bucks Owin
07-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Off hand as far as you want. If you get out there, we will need bigger than 8 1/2" X 11" :)

I will shoot what ever.

8.5" x 11" is OK at long range, ya just gotta use a rest! :-D

"Ol Betsy" managed this "group" at 150 yards...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/12db6a09.jpg

David R
07-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Nice target Mr. Bucks

...............I have a nice K-38 I could use both offhand and benched.

.................Buckshot

Ditto

RayinNH
07-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Sounds like fun Dennis...Ray

slughammer
07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
For your shooting pleasure, see the Double Action Postal Match.

Regards - Slughammer

GregP42
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
For your shooting pleasure, see the Double Action Postal Match.

Regards - Slughammer

But what about us poor single action shooters? :)

Greg

carpetman
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
All you need to hunt bears,even grizz is a .22 cal handgun--even a small derringer. Key is dont hunt alone. If a bear attacks, all you need to be able to do is outrun your buddy and you use the handgun to shoot him/her in the leg.

kenjuudo
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Ray, good to se ya found your keyboard again.

jim

carpetman
07-25-2006, 12:35 PM
why thank you Jim.

slughammer
07-25-2006, 02:37 PM
But what about us poor single action shooters? :)

Greg

You don't have a smoothed over S&W double action revolver? Buy one...you deserve nice things.

Bucks Owin
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, it looks like there's enough interest, next step is formats...

Any druthers?
How about:

Offhand 25 yds

BR open sight 25 yds

BR scope 50 yds

BR would be groups size of course, but which target do we want for offhand?

Rimfire and C/F different targets?

GregP42
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
You don't have a smoothed over S&W double action revolver? Buy one...you deserve nice things.

Believe it or not, I only have one double action! It is a 32-20 Dan Wesson, I guess I could swap the barrel on it and shoot the short and long classes :-D My other pistols are single shots, single actions or my old .45 auto that I built from parts about 20 years ago.

Greg

versifier
07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm into it. Post details please. :-D

waksupi
07-26-2006, 12:56 AM
All you need to hunt bears,even grizz is a .22 cal handgun--even a small derringer. Key is dont hunt alone. If a bear attacks, all you need to be able to do is outrun your buddy and you use the handgun to shoot him/her in the leg.

I'm glad to see my phone conversations with Ray, are sinking in! I notice he can still out run sheep, though.

obssd1958
07-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Never done a postal match, but it sounds like it would be fun!

I have single action centerfire, double action centerfire, autos in different flavors, and blackpowder revolvers! All iron sights - no scopes.

Name the game!!!!!!!!:Fire:

Don

Bucks Owin
07-27-2006, 01:14 PM
OK, let's take the bull by the horns and have the following handgun matches for August:

50 ft Offhand C/F or Rimfire

25 yd Rested open sights C/F or Rimfire

50 yd Rested scoped, C/F or Rimfire

100 yd Varmint target, open to all...

The centerfire cartridges must shoot a home cast bullet. Shoot all the practice targets you want but you must declare the target you will enter before you shoot it on the honor system....

Next step: Anyone have a link for some free suitable targets? How about from "The Reload Bench" free target downloads?

Dennis

Bucks Owin
07-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Gee, where'd everyone go?!?

Would a silhouette game at 25,50,75 and 100 yds be more fun?

Dennis

David R
07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Printed and pinned to my bullitin board.

While you all decide on targets, I will use a 25 yard timed and rapid target center for all shooting.

Its hot here too, hope to shoot some tomorrow.

Bench Rest Scope, Ruger SRH 44.
25 yard bench. S&W 45 colt or 38.
Offhand 45 auto or 38 with HB wadcutters.

David

obssd1958
07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Dennis,

I'm still here, but as I said in my previous post, never shot one of these before. I was holding back, waiting for someone else to answer my newbie questions, but looks like I'll have to step up and prove my ignorance!! :oops:

(Better to shut up and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt!)

Anyways, here's my questions:

How many shots per target?
Is scoring from the center of the group, or the center of the target?
Deadline and address to send in our targets.

and lastly,
Could we expand the rules just a smidge to accept all lead boolits, as long as they are handloaded by us? I have molds for all of my black powder, but only have one mold so far for any of my C/F, (10mm) and would like to shoot my .357, .45ACP, and .44 as well.

Thanks Dennis! Really appreciate your putting this on, and I'm looking forward to having some fun shooting it!!

By the way, Versifier posted a suggestion on the Double action thread about target availability. Quote:

The Gunloads home page has a ton of downloadable and printable targets. Follow the link at the top of the page.

Don

Buckshot
07-30-2006, 02:57 AM
..............Yup, gonna need to know number of rounds and where do we send the targets?

I take it that this is group and not score, right?

................Buckshot

Bucks Owin
07-30-2006, 03:36 PM
OK, here's where to get the targets:

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

For the 25 and 50 yd BR "event" let's use the 200 yd load development target. (The one with 2 large BR style aim points, about 1/4 of the way down the page with "compliments of USPALMA" on it) Fire TWO 5 shot groups and I'll score the average of both combined as to group size. eg a .500" and a 1" group nets you a .75" score. For my ease of measurement, groups will be measured OUTSIDE to OUTSIDE and NOT center to center. I'll measure to the inside of the grease rings with a digital caliper. This will give the smaller calibers somewhat of an advantage but too bad. It'll also increase your braggin' rights to shoot the tightest group with a bigger bore! There are two classes, centerfire and rimfire at both ranges....(Same deal with the rimfires be they .17 or .22)

You don't "have" to shoot at this target BTW, if you would rather use a different target/aimpoint it doesn't really matter since group size is what counts. HOWEVER! BOTH GROUPS MUST APPEAR ON THE SAME TARGET!

NO RETURN TO BATTERY RESTS ALLOWED...(eg Ransom Rests)

I'll post the results as I get them and to keep things interesting you get to send TWO ENTRIES if desired. (If someone shoots a tighter group than your's, you'll get ONE chance to send in a better target)

As an incentive to participate, I'm going to have a drawing of all participents for a nice Claro walnut loading block that I'll build to the winner's caliber preference. (Or, if the winner would rather just have the walnut block for some other purpose, so be it) My son will draw a name out of the hat on Sept 1st.....

Send targets to:

Dennis Schell
30923 Bambi Drive
Shingletown, CA.

ALL ENTRIES FOR ANY MATCH MUST BE POSTMARKED BY AUGUST 31st, 2006!!!!

Good luck!

BTW, you can use any lead bullet load but we'll all jeer and "boo hiss" at anyone that doesn't cast and/or load the boolit themselves! Be sure to specify on your target....:castmine:

Bucks Owin
07-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Again, go to:

Print out the "75 FOOT SMALL BORE" NRA target with two aimpoints on it. Use 100% setting on your copier. Shoot 5 rds at each target for score. SHOOT AT 50 FEET. (not 75') Again, I'll post entries as I get them and you get a second chance to beat someone else's score...

Two catagories, centerfire and rimfire...

Max score 100 pts. All entries also get a chance at the Claro walnut prize....

Bucks Owin
07-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Once more, go to:

Print out the "Crow" target near the bottom of the page. Shoot 10 rounds at it at 100 yds. I'll count the number of hits. If some of you can hit it 10 times (!) winner will be decided by group size....

Same deal, I post as we go and you can send two targets total.

Open to any handgun with any sighting device. Entries get a chance at the Claro walnut prize....

NOTE:

If you shoot all events, two targets each, you'll have a total of eight chances at the prize. In other words, your name goes in the hat with each target sent in....

slughammer
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
I printed my targets for the match.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/200%20yd%20Load%20Development%20Target.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/75FT%20NRA.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/crow.gif

Is there a calibration measurement? (That crow looks like a sparrow) ;-)

For the outer circles I get

Bucks Owin
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I printed my targets for the match.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/200%20yd%20Load%20Development%20Target.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/75FT%20NRA.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/crow.gif

Is there a calibration measurement? (That crow looks like a sparrow) ;-)

For the outer circles I get

My printer is out of ink at the moment so I haven't anything to measure, but I just set my printer page setup to 100% size...Can somebody print them at 100% and measure them up for slughammer until I go to town for inkjet ammo?

Yes, the varmint shoot will be no cakewalk! [smilie=1: (but then again, I've never seen a varmint "surrender"...) :-D

Thanks for participating!

Dennis

No_1
08-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Not that I am shooting but I do have a dial caliper at my desk.
The crow : 1.600
75' small bore: 3.180
last one: 4.05

All measured to outside edge of outer ring.

Printer is HP LaserJet 4050n set at 100%

YMMV,

Robert

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Much obliged for the measurements No-1...

The crow is 1.6"?!? Something odd going on there, the one I printed out awhile back was about 8" tall....

Dennis

Oh...That must be the circle on the crow?

That's why I'll just count hits on the crow for score, I doubt that anyone is gonna put 10 rds into THAT bull @ 100 yds with a sidearm! :D

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's what the targets look like:

100 yd Crow varmint target
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/crowtn.gif

25 and 50 yd BR target
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/20020yd20Load20Development20Target.gif

50' offhand target
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/75FT20NRA.gif

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Maybe the rule about declaring the target before you shoot it is a little too "harsh". Tell ya what, submit any group you want that was shot for these events. (But you still only get two "mail ins" total....)

Better?

Dennis

obssd1958
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm in, Dennis.

Targets have been printed, WW have been scrounged, cast iron pot has been procured from the thrift store, Lee ingot mold has arrived.
Did I ever tell anyone here that I haven't cast a bullet yet??[smilie=1:
(Thus the earlier question about using any cast bullet.:roll: )

Just trying to gather all the stuff to make some bullets to compete with!!

Don

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm in, Dennis.

Targets have been printed, WW have been scrounged, cast iron pot has been procured from the thrift store, Lee ingot mold has arrived.
Did I ever tell anyone here that I haven't cast a bullet yet??[smilie=1:
(Thus the earlier question about using any cast bullet.:roll: )

Just trying to gather all the stuff to make some bullets to compete with!!

Don

Gee, you didn't "have" to go to all that trouble, I'd have let you in with only a few digs about "store bought" boolits....[smilie=1:

But hey! You'll soon be as happily addicted to casting as the rest of the asylum!

(And can soon proudly proclaim :castmine: ) LOL

Best and congrats,

Dennis

RayinNH
08-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Dennis, I don't have a scoped handgun. Any chance I can print the crow at 1/10 size and shoot it at 10 yards.[smilie=1:...Ray

Bad luck Bill
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm in on the 50 feet offhand duelist match. Could I use a regular NRA 50 ft. target?

BLB.

Bucks Owin
08-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm in on the 50 feet offhand duelist match. Could I use a regular NRA 50 ft. target?

BLB.

You mean like 10 shots on one bull? Are the scoring rings the same as the 75' NRA target?

Bucks Owin
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Dennis, I don't have a scoped handgun. Any chance I can print the crow at 1/10 size and shoot it at 10 yards.[smilie=1:...Ray

Sure! (But you'll have to use a .02 cal hogleg...) [smilie=1:

Bad luck Bill
08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Buck,

I have both a 50 feet NRA target and a 25 yard NRA target, so I guess the 25 yarder is the one that would be acceptable? I could scan it and send it to you to see if it is the same as what you've got in mind?

BLB.

Bucks Owin
08-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Buck,

I have both a 50 feet NRA target and a 25 yard NRA target, so I guess the 25 yarder is the one that would be acceptable? I could scan it and send it to you to see if it is the same as what you've got in mind?

BLB.

You don't have a printer to download a few of the other targets I take it?

I suppose I can overlay the 75' target to score it. By the looks of it, there isn't much interest anyway. I haven't recieved a single target yet...:(

Dennis

7br
08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I haven't recieved a single target yet...:(

Dennis

Daggnabbit, we have until Aug 31 don't we? Betwixt school, scouts, church and hunter's ed, I bearly had a chance to change my underwear.

On Friday, I am planning on the 100yd crow shoot with a .22 hornet, the 50' offhand with my Dan Wesson, and the 50 yard shoot with a Ruger MKII. Afterwards, I get to either throw sand on the berms or mow.

Bad luck Bill
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I have a printer but I'm cheap and I don't want to pay $60 bucks for more ink. There is a place online where I can get the same ink for like $15 bucks, I just haven't gotten around to ordering any!:mrgreen: I wonder how many guys have scanners, if everyone just scanned their targets we could have the results very quickly, even going to Kinkos or a similar place would be a lot quicker then snail mailing them.

Scrounger
08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a printer but I'm cheap and I don't want to pay $60 bucks for more ink. There is a place online where I can get the same ink for like $15 bucks, I just haven't gotten around to ordering any!:mrgreen: I wonder how many guys have scanners, if everyone just scanned their targets we could have the results very quickly, even going to Kinkos or a similar place would be a lot quicker then snail mailing them.

When I lived in SoCal, I always downloaded the target of choice and took it to Office Depot. They had half a dozen copy machines of various sizes and I could make all the 8-1/2" by 11" targets for a nickel apiece or bigger 11" by 17" for $0.07 each. Cheaper than buying your own ink and paper. Staples, Office Max, and the other large companies in that line of business are all pretty reasonable.

Bad luck Bill
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
That's another good way to overcome the problems of expensive ink. But if you want color then the price goes up considerably. Something like 89 cents per copy and 8 cents per black and white copy. But who needs color when they're putting holes through the paper anyway?

Buckshot
08-23-2006, 02:33 AM
.............Deputy Al and I shot today. I gave my target to Al and he's going to mail them off in a few days.

...............Buckshot

Bucks Owin
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
.............Deputy Al and I shot today. I gave my target to Al and he's going to mail them off in a few days.

...............Buckshot

Hey, signs of life at last! :-D Glad to hear it Buckshot!

Got a couple targets from Paul yesterday and was wondering if he was gonna be the default winner of the Claro walnut! Trouble is Paul, you shot a 10 shot group instead of two 5 shot groups on one page. Maybe I didn't explain that part sufficiently. Not sure how to score it, it obviously looks as though you had a couple really tight 5 shot groups.....(That 10.5" SBH looks pretty deadly!)

Results to be posted ASAP....

Dennis :Fire:

BTW, I think for next month I'm gonna simplify drastically by having just a "paper silhouette" match with targets scaled to 25 yds.....

Maven
08-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Dennis, It nver ceases to amaze and amuse me how a seemingly simple instruction can be interpreted so differently. To wit, I DID think you meant a 10-shot group on the same target. Had I understood your instructions correctly, I could have submitted other entries including a 7 in a 1" hole group that the Lee TL produced. Sometimes I even amaze myself over such things!

Bad luck Bill
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I concure, from reading the above post I was slioghtly confused whether it was two five shot groups on one target or the same on two seperate targets. :mrgreen:

Bad luck Bill
08-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Here's my best effort (Remember that I've only been shooting for a couple of months please! :mrgreen: ) The five shots were all concurrent...the sixth shot was the last and thus I didn't count it. I shot these last Thursday using 45.2 ( I think his name may be Jeff, if not my apologies) recommended bullet and load. I used the Lyman #358311 over 3.3gr of BE in .357 brass. Seems like he was right, it is an excellent load, better than the classic waddcutter load (at least it worked better for me). All of the advice I've gotten here has, so far, made me a better shooter, plus all of the articles I've read on Encyclopedia of bullseyeshooter.com. I know most of you guys shoot way better than this but it was a good effort on my part. Offhand duelist at 50 feet. The five-shot group came in at 1 and 5/8's from outer edge to outer edge.

Bucks Owin
08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Fire TWO 5 shot groups and I'll score the average of both combined as to group size. eg a .500" and a 1" group nets you a .75" score.

Hmmmm...

Seems straightforward to me....

Anyway, for next time I've got something much simpler in mind. A "Silhouette Match" fired offhand at 25 yds on "scaled" targets.....(eg, the ram will be pretty small!) Besides being challenging, maybe it'll prompt a few shooters to go try a silhouette match for real....

Dennis [smilie=s:

slughammer
08-28-2006, 05:23 PM
How about pushing the drawing for the reloading block back a few days? Rools say that targets must be post marked by Aug 31 and the drawing is Sept 1. Leave a couple days for the pony express to get there and I should have something to pull from the hat.

Bad luck Bill
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm ging shooting this week, what was the handgun match distance again? Was it 25 yards offhand? Would my NRA target be acceptable Buck? And would it be able to send you my target via email (Scanned in Hi-res color)? that way I'm sure to easily meet the deadline. If not I guess I could wait for the next match. Seems like nobody really had any interestin my match. I'd like to start up a Black powder revolver match sometime soon. I wonder how many guys own a BP revolver though?

BLB.

Bucks Owin
08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
How about pushing the drawing for the reloading block back a few days? Rools say that targets must be post marked by Aug 31 and the drawing is Sept 1. Leave a couple days for the pony express to get there and I should have something to pull from the hat.

Sure, no problem....I'll wait a week for the drawing. (I should'a thought of that...:roll: )

Dennis

Bucks Owin
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm ging shooting this week, what was the handgun match distance again? Was it 25 yards offhand? Would my NRA target be acceptable Buck? And would it be able to send you my target via email (Scanned in Hi-res color)? that way I'm sure to easily meet the deadline. If not I guess I could wait for the next match. Seems like nobody really had any interestin my match. I'd like to start up a Black powder revolver match sometime soon. I wonder how many guys own a BP revolver though?

BLB.

BR is 25 and 50 yds, Offhand is 50 feet and Varmint is 100 yds as I remember....

Dennis

Bad luck Bill
08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Here's my second target...50 feet offhand duelist with my Ruger Old Army. I was using Goex Black powder..25grs and 220gr Lee conicals. I lucked out and held pretty steady for once.

Here's the target:

Four Fingers of Death
09-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Man you gotta get yourself a sweet ol' 38 or 357 Smith. They are great revolvers, get an old pinned barrel one, sweet as! Mick.

DLCTEX
09-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Seems an eye infection will keep me sidelined for a while, can't see squat! Maybe next time. Never could get the hang of shooting with my left eye, but if this doesn't clear up I may have to learn. Sure does throw off my depth perception.

Bad luck Bill
09-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Funny thing Mick, I fired two old police revolvers Thursday at the range. A retired cop from New York was there and let me shoot his service revolvers, both .38's. One was a little five-shot snub. His son (The retired policemen's son) let me shoot both and told me the snub couldn't hit *****...not true at all. That little snub was very accurate, at least in my hands! :mrgreen: Probably beginer's luck! Out of the two Smiths I like the snub the best, go figure.

BLB.

Bucks Owin
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Hang in there folks, the results from the matches are forthcoming. Just have to track down my daughter who has "borrowed" my digicam....(and probably go to town for new batteries...)

The drawing for the loading block will be this coming weekend....

Dennis

(who's been a little "off his feed" the last couple days...)

krag35
09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Bucks what happened to this? I know I didn't even place, but was wondering just how bad i got whooped.
krag35