PDA

View Full Version : Checks with a brake?

threett1
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
A guy in town here is building a total custom Encore in 358imp. We have been throwing cast ideas around for fun loads. Will checks on cast be a problem with a brake? Would be using Hornadys. Thanks:castmine:

Buckshot
07-21-2006, 02:37 AM
.............Do you mean if they come off? I don't know how much energy one would have or what issues one banging into the sides of the brake there'd be. I can't see a safety problem if one got stuck and was hit by the next boolit. Might be an accuracy issue for that round.

HA! A paper patched slug could make a real mess, wouldn't it? :-)

.............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
07-21-2006, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't think so. But then there are a lot of what ifs. You could always knock of the sharp edge inside with a slightly larger drill than the chosen hole size. Just enough to put a slight entrance taper just in case. Picture a forcing cone in a handgun if that helps.

Beau Cassidy
07-21-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't think you are going to have a problem with the gas check hanging up in the brake. You will sling a lot of lube thru it, though. I have no problem shooting gas-checked bullets thru my ported .450 guide gun. There is a slight buildup of lead/lube under the front sight hood. I say go for it.

Beau

threett1
07-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys. I couldn't see a problem with it but Rick was concerned. Especially with the crimp on checks and pressure, I don't see them coming off like that.

CSH
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I have a 30-06 with a KDF muzzle brake. I think it's silly to put a brake on a 30-06, but the previous owner of the rifle didn't think so. Anyway, I have fired several hundred GC'ed rounds through this rifle. I've never had a problem except for one time when the GC came off and went through the LCD of my Chrony! Funny thing is the check was still oriented perpendicular to the bore axis when it hit the LCD 12 feet from the muzzle.

dragonrider
07-21-2006, 10:17 AM
As long as the bore in the brake is concentric with the bore of the barrel, no problem.

BOOM BOOM
07-22-2006, 03:33 PM
HI,
I have shot 1000's of checked cast bullets, both lyman & hornady, threw 4 diff. magnaported guns, 3 rifles & 1 pistol. No problms.