PDA

View Full Version : Me & My Dog

robertbank
07-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Well thought I would post my set-up. Casting .45acp & 9MM.

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I know a guy who witnessed what happened when somebody failed to catch a hot steel rivet thrown up to him, and when he missed it, it neatly dropped into his boot. Not a good outcome, either with rivets or molten lead. People in that amount of pain don't seem to be able to get their own footwear off, and they can't even keep still enough to let somebody else do it.

I know, I'm a killjoy - but it might be worth a thought anyway. Long pants don't only protect your legs directly - they also cover the top of your shoes/boots. Other than that, you've got a way more civilised and comfortable set-up than I have.

Geoff.

wills
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I wouldn’t cast with my dog around. If I make some stupid mistake she should not have to suffer for my incompetence.

robertbank
07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I wear sandles over socks. Use to wear boots until I dropped a bullet into one of them.... Normally I wear long pants but when it is hot outside I just try to be more careful and go with shorts.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Posed picture. Too, easier to just be competant.

Take Care

Bob

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry Bob, the picture doesn't go down that far. You'd already been there ahead of me.

Fine looking dog, by the way.

Geoff.

robertbank
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Taffy is a keeper. Purebred Lab with a heart of gold. Best alarm system you ever had and a real ***** cat around kids.

Interesting about wearing boots. I have only had a bullet or piece of lead land around my feet but a couple of times. Since going to sandles I can at least just kick it off, I did the dance of the haunted when I dropped the bullet into my boot. Wife darned near broke her back laughing from tthe kichen....Wear boots though when I am smelting lead from wheelweights.

Take Care

Bob

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Obviously it is a personal thing, based on what we've seen or heard and how our imagination works. I'm only prepared to smelt metal or pour ingots when I'm standing up, wearing seriously thick pants, and strong leather boots. Many years ago I did a short course in welding, and they made us watch all the horror movies. The experts say it's OK to sit down so long as you wear a properly designed thick leather apron and have a high chair and table so your thighs are sloping downward, but I'm too chicken even for that.

Geoff

kenjuudo
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Bob,
Looks like ol' Taffy knows the way to the food bowl! Hard not to spoil 'em ain't it?

jim

robertbank
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
When I smelt I use the coleman stove resting on the sidewalk. Bending over from a chair when all is ready I pour from a lead pot into a Lee ingot mold laying on the sidewalk. That way everything is below my feet. Wear boots just in case. Bullet casting is a different matter. I usually cast for three hours at a stretch and there is no way in this world my back is going to allow me to stand for three hours. Back isn't to crazy about sitting either.:mrgreen: Just a case of getting comfortable with a method and going with it. Sometimes bad things happen. Life is like that. Ya pays your money and you takes your chances.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Well there is just Linda and I at home so come supper Taffy usually gets fed from "her" fork. You wouldn't want her to just eat dog food would you? She hasn't mastered sitting on a chair at the table yet.

Spoiled? Aside from sleeping on a pillow on my bed and "owning" a chair in the family room I don't know why you would think she is spoiled.:-D

Take care

hpdrifter
07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Good dogs deserve such treatment. An older settled dog would be alright around a fairly firm setup, but I ain't havin no young pup around the lead pot.

PatMarlin
07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
T-shirt looks good on her Bob, but you gotta loose the collar.. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:......LOL! :drinks: