PDA

View Full Version : Hp Or Fn

jhalcott
07-20-2006, 05:06 PM
what are the differences in terminal effects of a hollow point and a flat point? FROm a rifle! I'm am considering sending a 358318 to Buckshot for alteration. I'm not sure if I want an hp or fn. I plan on continueing to use an alloy of 15 bhn if that's important. thanks.

DOUBLEJK
07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I have not shot a big game animal with a cast HP....however I use the 358429 and HP version of same outa a japchester 1892 .357 on coyotes and cast the HP's outa 20-1 lead tin...the FP's are cast of WW's and air cooled....at 1700+ fps. launch velocity the HP's make a bigger hole coming out fer sure... If I hit large bones the hides are a mess with either boolit....at least out to 200 yds. er so which is the farthest I've shot one...in something a bit bigger that could stop those boolits from exiting I would expect to see a larger but shorter wound channel from the HP...If large bones were hit my bet for best performer would go to the FP...

beagle
07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
You can always have both. Look at my earlier post, "Mold from Hell". It's a 358315 with the nose opened to .350" and a adjustable nose punch with a #311440 nose profile AND an optional HP pin. Gives you adjustable bullets from 185-320 grains with a flat (rounded side) nose and a hollow point with adjustable cavity depth. I'm messing with a 240 grain HP from it right now in a .35 Rem.

You might coerce Buckshot into making one. He's got the pictures of it and how I did it (or rather had it done as I'm a file and hammer guy)./beagle