PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red remove lead, copper, and nitro? Corrosive salts as well?

sheepdog
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm making some up but not sure what to expect

Hip's Ax
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
It won't touch copper, you need ammonia for that. Also won't help with corrosive cleaning, you need water for that.

ER is good stuff, treat it like Hoppe's as far as expectations.

grendelbane
04-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I use hot water & Dawn's dishwashing liquid to clean away corrosive primer residue. Follow it with a good flushing of plain hot water, (boiling hot). Then, use the Ed's Red to clean.

Works like a charm. It won't dissolve copper or lead fouling, but it is cheap, and easy to use.

mpmarty
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
"Wont remove lead, copper or salts" So what the heck is it good for?:bigsmyl2:

JeffinNZ
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
"Wont remove lead, copper or salts" So what the heck is it good for?:bigsmyl2:

Carbon. It's good and it's CHEAP to make.

Dale53
04-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I use Ed's Red as my general gun cleaning solvent (I shoot nothing but cast bullets in my revolvers and 1911 Autos). I have also used it as an "after cleaner" when shooting black powder cartridge guns and muzzle loaders. With black powder, my initial cleaning is done with Friendship Speed Juice (one pint each of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Rubbing Alcohol). Immediately after, I wipe the bore dry with a couple or three dry patches then follow with a wet patch of Ed's Red.

Read his full instructions as to what it is good for:

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

I can recommend Ed's Red without reservation when used according to his instructions.

Dale53

Shiloh
04-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Sweet's for copper, dish soap and hot water for corrosive surplus ammo. Ed's Red for everything else. Next batch will be sans the acetone.

Shiloh

04-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I've found Montana Extreme Copper Killer to work better than Sweet's 7.62, though I prefer the thicker consistency of Sweets.

Next batch of Ed's Red will be minus the acetone, also.

sheepdog
04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Well I use "shooter's choice" for corrosive now and its great. Its just expensive and is harsh on barrels if you don't rinse with some Hoppes or the like.

Just made a bastardize version of Ed's with the following:

1 part spirits
1 part kerosene
1.5 parts ATF fluid
1 part 20/50 weight motor oil
1 part unleaded gasoline (as the solvent)

Works pretty well so far on auto parts, will get brave enough to try on blued gun parts in the morning.

JeffinNZ
04-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Sweet's for copper, dish soap and hot water for corrosive surplus ammo. Ed's Red for everything else. Next batch will be sans the acetone.

Shiloh

Why are you emitting the acetone?

Colorado4wheel
04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Lead

Might want to read this link about Ed's Red and Lead and also other options.

grendelbane
04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I usually leave out the acetone too. Its main purpose is to dissolve the residue left by plastic wads in shotgun barrels. For that purpose it works well. Otherwise, it is not needed, only adds expense, and its vapors are nasty.

The last shotgun barrel I cleaned, I did add some lacquer thinner, since I had no acetone at home. Lacquer thinner contains a bunch of solvents, acetone, methanol, etc. It worked pretty good, but was definitely an outdoor only cleaner.

chboats
04-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I use ER for cleaning all my guns including shot guns, so I put the acetone in. But acetone will desolve all most any finish. Be careful if using it on a gun with a wood stock. Doesn't seem to bother any of the synthetic stocks or grips. Love the stuff. If anyone knows of a wood finish that will stand up to acetone I would sure like to know about it.

Carl

blackthorn
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't like the acetone? Just leave the top off the bottle for a day or two and it will be gone! It will even escape from a bottle with any loosesness to the cap.

10 ga
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
When I make it I have 2 variations. One with acetone and no lanolin for really hard to clean stuff, especially shotgun chokes and barrels with a lot of plastic ie, my MLs after shooting a bunch of sabots. The other has lanolin and no acetone and I use it a lot on guns that already have a long history of exposure to ER and for short term storage, 6 mo or less. Ed and I were classmates at VT many years ago. If you know or meet him ask him about the "great rat hunts" of those college years. 10 ga

Shiloh
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Why are you emitting the acetone?

I rarely shoot the shotgun anymore. No wad fouling to deal with.

Shiloh

jonk
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I have yet to see a solvent that really does a job on lead. Most of those that do are some sort of abrasive. 50/50 peroxide and vinegar works but beware, it will rust the snot out of something if not really cleaned up.

Ed's is great on powder fouling. It also works fairly well as a penetrating oil, and leaving the bore wet with Ed's will slowly creep under metal fouling and loosen it, but not through any disolving process, just loosening.

Rick459
04-26-2010, 03:39 PM
replace the lanolin with Kroil it will then remove lead build up or use the Kroil straight or mix with your favorite bore cleaner.
Rick

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/