PDA

View Full Version : Trimming 44 Magnum Cases

LET-CA
07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
In looking at some of my cast bullets I see that the location of the crimping groove will make them longer than the 1.610 "maximum" length for the 44 magnum. Since I'm using these in my Winchester 94 I am faced with a need to keep a pretty close watch on the overall cartridge length. I trimmed one of the cases to make it fit and then noticed that all I had really done was trim a 44 Magnum back to a 44 Special. From what I can tell, the overall length is the only difference in the two cases.

Does anyone else here have experience with these two cartridges, or the maximum length that they can reliably feed through a Winchester 94 chambered in 44 magnum?

44man
07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I have a Marlin and it will feed the large LBT 320 gr WLNGC with no problems. However I have another boolit that is not as large as the LBT but it will not feed or eject. I set aside cases just for that boolit and trimmed them until they just feed. They work fine and are very accurate. It won't hurt a thing to shorten some cases.

mattc
07-21-2006, 01:30 AM
the only problem with shortening your cases is you are decreasing the space of powder and in doing so you are increasing the pressures so you will need to keep an eye on things,
as a comparison I ran a senario through Quick load here is what I got
a .44 mag with a 300 grain bullet seated at .256 with 12 gr 231 gave 38371cip
in a .44 special case same bullet, powder weight and seat depth gave 47793cip (which is way above safe)

LET-CA
07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
the only problem with shortening your cases is you are decreasing the space of powder and in doing so you are increasing the pressures so you will need to keep an eye on things,
as a comparison I ran a senario through Quick load here is what I got
a .44 mag with a 300 grain bullet seated at .256 with 12 gr 231 gave 38371cip
in a .44 special case same bullet, powder weight and seat depth gave 47793cip (which is way above safe)

You may have answered a question I've been pondering, is there a program that will help with developing loads? How much does the Quick Load program sell for? Where'd you get it?

Thanks!

mike in co
07-21-2006, 01:38 PM
neco 1-800-451-3550

not sure of current cost, but for a serious ammo crafter, it is a lovely tool
( its not a bible, just one more tool in your inventory)

44man
07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Very true that pressure does rise. I shoot lighter loads from the rifle then I do my revolvers anyway and the shorter cases are used for light loads because the particular boolit is pointed and no good for hunting. I never thought to warn you and am glad it was brought up. I assumed you would be careful and work loads.
I also did not have to shorten mine all the way down to the .44 special length, I just worked on one case to start with and as soon as it cleared I quit cutting.

9.3X62AL
07-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Dunno how yer crimping the loads, but at some point while trimming the cases you will shorten the cases past the seater die's roll-crimp shoulder--if it's a 44 Magnum-specific seater. If the die body is 44 Special length, then no problem.

LET-CA
07-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Dunno how yer crimping the loads, but at some point while trimming the cases you will shorten the cases past the seater die's roll-crimp shoulder--if it's a 44 Magnum-specific seater. If the die body is 44 Special length, then no problem.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die so I can crimp pretty much anywhere I wish. They're an amazing bargain.

44man
07-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I use a spacer under the crimp die for full magnum brass and remove the spacer for the shorter cases. Why fool with adjustments? The spacer equals the amount of brass removed from the shortened brass.