PDA

View Full Version : lyman 375 gr. 500 magnum mold

nes4ever69
04-24-2010, 04:27 AM
i just started casting these, the mold says 375 gr. bullet weight and i casted my first batch and had 380 to 390 with the majority being 387 and 388. the majority of the material to make them is kinda a mystery being ww, and lead from pulled bullets and and what i bought off ebay.

i remelted them with some tin solder rated at 99%, only a small amout compared to the lead amount and some of the bullets i weighed out range from 381 to 386.

my 2 questions are, are these safe to shoot with the 375 load data? or do i need to find more tin to acheive the 375 weight. the lyman manual i bought only list this for cast bullets.

also, if they are safe to shoot, can it be loaded at the minimum or mid range?

apreciate the help on this.

44man
04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Is is very common for molds to cast lighter or heavier then listed. Nothing to worry about and it is safe to shoot with the loads. Since every boolit and gun needs a load workup anyway for accuracy I am sure your best will be below max anyway.
My Lyman 325 gr weighs 347 gr.
You need the exact alloy each maker engineers the molds with and then they can't hit weight anyway most times.

nes4ever69
04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
thanks for the input. ive only cast slugs befor and the were the 1 oz or 0.99 oz. im new to the bullet casting so i hate to blow up my BFR.

the only thing i just have to do is make sure they go down the barrel.

thanks again.