PDA

View Full Version : What's a good cast boolit for .44 mag?

Fugowii
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I've got a few moulds for the .44 (2 Cav 429215, 2 Cav 429244, 2 Cav 429421) and was
wondering what other moulds I might want to get for my .44 Mag. My experience with
these moulds is minimal since I just obtained them and started casting with them. Have
there been any group buys on some really good moulds that I missed?

That'll Do
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Any of them will work quite well, but the 429421 is in my opinion *the* boolit for a 44 Magnum (or even a 44 Special).

Accurate and proven loads exist by the truckload for the 429421 boolit.

GBertolet
04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Ditto on the 429421 as best choice. I also have the 429244. It shoots good also.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
As said, there are a lot of good molds out there.

However, the best mold I have every used and my standard go to bullet for my RUGER redhawk 5.5" is an LBT, 310gr, gas check boolit.

Sorry :groner:, Veral Smith - maker of LBT molds - doesn't like "Boolits."

There was a group buy recently for Handgun LBT and may be a again soon.

I am presently waiting for a group buy 45/70 LBT mold, [smilie=w: oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!

In the .44, I get just over 1300fps with that boolit ahead of 19gr of AA#9 from the 5.5" barrel

This is just personal, but because of the damage I saw to the cylinder base pin in the Blackhawk, I would not again use the 300+gr boolits unless I had an after market base pin with a set screw.

Have never had Blackhawk problems with the boolets in the 240 - 260gr range, but did have base pin and cross/retainer pin damage when shooting the heavy loads with the heavier boolits.

The Redhawk, just takes a lick'in and keeps right on tick'in!:lovebooli

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Blammer
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I kind of like these. :)

I need to update this pic as I've added a few more since.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list.jpg

fatnhappy
04-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I have all three and must say, all three are very good boolits for the .44 magnum for different reasons. You didn't mention what .44 mag you're using or what you'd like to use them for. Obviously a 4" mtn gun used for plinking and a 14" TC used for silly wets might beg different recommendations.

The best shooting boolit I've used in my redhawk to date is a 429650. It's more than you'll ever need for bambi but is a real bell ringer with max load in my experience. I don't think you can beat the 429421 or 429336 for .44 special level loads. The 336 might be the better of the two if you can find one. I taper crimp with the 336 around 800 fps and the brass seems to last forever. I've had good results with both though. If I had a plain based 429215.......... maybe I will some day.......

BTW Blammer is just bragging with that picture. ;-)

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
if you dont mind buying gas checks the rcbs 240 swcgc has been one of the most accurate cast 44 bullets ive used in a multitude of guns.

Fugowii
04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I have all three and must say, all three are very good boolits for the .44 magnum for different reasons. You didn't mention what .44 mag you're using or what you'd like to use them for. Obviously a 4" mtn gun used for plinking and a 14" TC used for silly wets might beg different recommendations.

The best shooting boolit I've used in my redhawk to date is a 429650. It's more than you'll ever need for bambi but is a real bell ringer with max load in my experience. I don't think you can beat the 429421 or 429336 for .44 special level loads. The 336 might be the better of the two if you can find one. I taper crimp with the 336 around 800 fps and the brass seems to last forever. I've had good results with both though. If I had a plain based 429215.......... maybe I will some day.......

BTW Blammer is just bragging with that picture. ;-)

Ruger SBHH 7.5"... Range and Game

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/SuperBlackhawkHunter-1d.jpg

cbrick
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Gotta agree with Lloyd, the RCBS 240 gr SWC GC Silhouette boolit is the most accurate I've ever shot from my OMSBH. With a meplat of .220" (51%) it wouldn't be my first choice as a hunting boolit but on the range it would be hard to beat with a bearing surface of .220" or 61% of the boolit length of .755".

Hope this helps,

Rick

Blammer
04-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I've found the round flat and the trun cone design to be more accurate for me than the SWC designs.

Three44s
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
The RCBS 250K is all the SWC was meant to be in the .44's and what the Lyman should have been.

The Lee TL 240 for plinking.

The Lee 300 gr. GC for heavy lifting on a budget.

Three 44s

indymadcaster
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
+1 on 310 lee :lovebooli

Dale53
04-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I mostly shoot either Lyman 429421 or H&G #503 (both 250 gr Keith bullets) but the most accurate bullet I have ever shot is the Lee C430-310-RFGC bullet. It just flat SHOOTS.

However, the recoil is considerably more than the 250 gr bullets and it IS harder on the revolver. I shoot it in my Rugers and the lighter bullets in my Smiths.

FWIW
Dale53

Adam10mm
04-24-2010, 12:21 AM
250gr Keith SWC from RCBS.

Shuz
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
My favorite .44 mag boolit is the Lyman 429421 with the round grease groove. These boolits drop outta my 4C moulds much easier than their square groove 4C brother. As far as accuracy goes, I've shot many 5 shot groups with a Smith Classic DX that wears a 4X Leupold into less than an inch at 25 yds with both Lyman 429421's or the RCBS 44-250SWC (#82044). Even tho I have 16 different .44 moulds and have owned several others down thru the years, I keep coming back to old 429421 as my "go to" boolit. Try 8.5 g of Green Dot sometime with a 429421 or a clone, and see what fun really is! Low extreme spread and standard deviation with a velocity of around 1050 fps, and accuracy that will make you smile. Your wallet will appreciate it as well!

Rocky Raab
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
If you can still find one, one of the reject Ranch Dog moulds (Lee 432-265RF TL GC) is just the snizzle in my Ruger Bisley 44 Special. I shoot it to 1000 fps without a gas check installed. Mine drops right at .430" (which is why the moulds got rejected, I'm told). It ought to be a real hummer at higher speeds with a GC.

stubert
04-24-2010, 06:09 PM
most accurate bullet in my redhawk is the lee 310 gc

mannyCA
04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
These are great out of my SBH, lyman 429640 with 1/2 WW & Pb and GC'ed they go about 1300 fps with 19gr 2400. Just for giggles I fill them to the top with paraffin, talk about a mess.:grin:
Got this mold from a fellow member.

44man
04-25-2010, 08:21 AM
These are great out of my SBH, lyman 429640 with 1/2 WW & Pb and GC'ed they go about 1300 fps with 19gr 2400. Just for giggles I fill them to the top with paraffin, talk about a mess.:grin:
Got this mold from a fellow member.
That is one nasty HP! :holysheep
I would be a little afraid to shoot a deer with them---mush city!
Might limit penetration too. Have you ever tried it on deer?
I hate to get into the SWC, TC RNFP argument. I have shot hundreds of thousands of 429421, 358156 and the RCBS boolits and they are good but to squeeze out the tightest shooters I have to say the Lee 310 and the RD 265 will cut groups by half from every .44 I ever shot. Both actually shoot a little better then the LBT 320 gr.
I would be wrong saying a SWC is a BAD boolit, it is just that there are better designs. That RD boolit will consistently hold 3/4" or less at 50 yards if I do my part and 1-1/4" at 100. Too bad it is gone.

Dale53
04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
44man;
I have never pushed the Lee C-430-310-RF GC over much since Frank Siefer and I designed this bullet (it would seem like too much self promotion). It was originally designed for Frank to have a better game bullet for large game. He had an upcoming trip to Alaska and wanted to possibly take a BIG bear with it. The original design was intended to give the most "smash" available in an affordable mould for the average wage earner. At the time, to get that sort of performance required an expensive custom mould.

As it turned out, it met ALL of the design objectives and a side benefit it became the most accurate bullet I have ever used in the .44 magnum revolver.

I DO believe that it can be a bit hard on S&W revolvers (simply because of the weight and recoil) and I have limited it's use to sighting in and hunting in my S&W. However, I have no fears of it shortening the service live of my Ruger Red Hawk or Super Blackhawk.

Several in my home club, after originally stating that "there was no need whatsoever for a 310 gr bullet in the .44 Magnum" completely reversed their stand and now claim it is the most accurate bullet they have tried as well as a MOST effective game bullet.

I am sure that there are other good bullets of the heavy variety for the .44 magnum. However, the combination of excellent results on game (serious tissue damage coupled with good penetration), EXCELLENT accuracy, and popular priced moulds make this bullet mould an excellent choice. I much prefer Lee's six cavity moulds over their two cavity moulds but have used both with good results.

It must be admitted that there is greater felt recoil when this bullet is loaded to hunting velocity compared to the average 240-250 gr bullet. That has not been a problem for me but if a shooter is bothered by heavy recoil, it might be a consideration.

FWIW
Dale53

excavman
04-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Along with the Keith 250 and the 300 gc boolit my only other choice is a nice little 200 gr round/flat nose pb. With a light load of Trail Boss in either spl or mag brass you can bust beer cans all day without busting the bank.

Larry

Fugowii
04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
44man;
I have never pushed the Lee C-430-310-RF GC over much since Frank Siefer and I designed this bullet (it would seem like too much self promotion). It was originally designed for Frank to have a better game bullet for large game. He had an upcoming trip to Alaska and wanted to possibly take a BIG bear with it. The original design was intended to give the most "smash" available in an affordable mould for the average wage earner. At the time, to get that sort of performance required an expensive custom mould.

As it turned out, it met ALL of the design objectives and a side benefit it became the most accurate bullet I have ever used in the .44 magnum revolver.

I DO believe that it can be a bit hard on S&W revolvers (simply because of the weight and recoil) and I have limited it's use to sighting in and hunting in my S&W. However, I have no fears of it shortening the service live of my Ruger Red Hawk or Super Blackhawk.

Several in my home club, after originally stating that "there was no need whatsoever for a 310 gr bullet in the .44 Magnum" completely reversed their stand and now claim it is the most accurate bullet they have tried as well as a MOST effective game bullet.

I am sure that there are other good bullets of the heavy variety for the .44 magnum. However, the combination of excellent results on game (serious tissue damage coupled with good penetration), EXCELLENT accuracy, and popular priced moulds make this bullet mould an excellent choice. I much prefer Lee's six cavity moulds over their two cavity moulds but have used both with good results.

It must be admitted that there is greater felt recoil when this bullet is loaded to hunting velocity compared to the average 240-250 gr bullet. That has not been a problem for me but if a shooter is bothered by heavy recoil, it might be a consideration.

FWIW
Dale53

Dale,

A couple of questions.

1) I am shooting the 429421 using 18.0gr of either 2400 or #9 @ 1.680" out of that
SBHH. I know recoil is subjective but is it a) somewhat greater, b) a lot greater, or
c) mind-numbing/finger-busting/shoulder-breaking/teeth-loosening greater? :mrgreen:

2) Is this boolit too much for whitetail? I'm hunting in the Northeast (Vt) so shots are
usually under 50 yards and hardly ever greater than 100 yards.

Thanks,

F

mannyCA
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
That is one nasty HP! :holysheep
I would be a little afraid to shoot a deer with them---mush city!
Might limit penetration too. Have you ever tried it on deer?

Never on deer, but Its deadly on those gallon milk jugs filled with newspaper and water. Takes about 7 of those to stop it. I was thinking more along the lines of a bear, lion and two legged predator deterrent when I'm in the Sierras.

Dale53
04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I have only shot one deer with the Lee 310. The range was a very close 25 yards and I broke it's neck. It blew a verabrae out the top of the neck (the hit was in the side of the neck). Of course, it was down NOW.

If I were in serious bear country, I would pick the Lee 310. For deer hunting, I find the 250 gr Keith to do a fine job. I have never recovered a Keith bullet traveling between 1200-1300 fps - I have had complete penetration even full length of the body.

If you want the deer to drop close to the shot, shoot it through both shoulders. If you want to save as much meat as possible, then shoot it low, behind the shoulders, and expect to trail it up from 35 yards to 100 yards. I had one go 200 yards with a perfect behind the shoulder lung shot at 1300 fps at a range of 10 yards. It wasn't a problem - the blood trail was so obvious a blind man could have followed it even though it was fall and no snow was on the ground.

I hope we'll get some reports on the MiHec H&G #503 Hollow Point bullet this coming deer season. I would guess that would be near perfect on a behind the shoulder low "aorta/lung" shot.

If you have to have the deer drop on the spot due to too many hunters in the area, then a solid Keith through both shoulders would be my pick (better some meat loss rather than another "hunter" stealing your deer).

2 - I would say the felt recoil with the 310 gr bullet ahead of 21.5 grs of H110 in the .44 Magnum would be on the order of 10-20% heavier than a 250 Keith ahead of 24.0 grs of H110. It is a bit subjective, of course, but it is definitely heavier (but not THAT heavier).

During the shooting year, I much prefer lighter target loads for fun shooting. In the weeks leading up to deer hunting, I would switch to the 250 Keith ahead of 23.0 grs of H110 and shoot several hundred rounds to acclimate myself to the heavier loads. This is one grain less than my hunting load simply to ease the wear and tear on the revolvers.

FWIW
Dale53

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
As I noted earlier, I did have base pin and cross retaining pin damage shooting the 300 + grain boolits from a Blackhawk. A Blackhawk Hunter in this case.

I was shooting the 325gr Lyman from one of their "reject" molds and the boolit scaled out a goodly amount above the 325.

The 100yds groups with a 2X Leupold, looked like they had been shot with a good rifle!

I continued my heavy boolit test from a LBT 310gr mold after I rec'd it, but as well as it shot, it didn't group the rifle sized groups of that "reject Lyman" mold.

However, because of the damage to the base pin in the BH, I can not recommend a steady diet of those loads.

In my Redhawk on the other hand, my everyday load is the 310gr. LBT ahead of 19gr. of AA#9 for a vel. of a touch more then 1300fps from a 5.5" barrel.

The RH is one very tough gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

44man
04-25-2010, 11:26 PM
As I noted earlier, I did have base pin and cross retaining pin damage shooting the 300 + grain boolits from a Blackhawk. A Blackhawk Hunter in this case.

I was shooting the 325gr Lyman from one of their "reject" molds and the boolit scaled out a goodly amount above the 325.

The 100yds groups with a 2X Leupold, looked like they had been shot with a good rifle!

I continued my heavy boolit test from a LBT 310gr mold after I rec'd it, but as well as it shot, it didn't group the rifle sized groups of that "reject Lyman" mold.

However, because of the damage to the base pin in the BH, I can not recommend a steady diet of those loads.

In my Redhawk on the other hand, my everyday load is the 310gr. LBT ahead of 19gr. of AA#9 for a vel. of a touch more then 1300fps from a 5.5" barrel.

The RH is one very tough gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
This is not normal and there must have been slop at the slot. Been shooting Rugers since 1956 and the one I have now gets a steady diet of 310 to 330 gr boolits and is just short of 60,000 rounds. The whole gun is as tight as when I bought it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-26-2010, 12:01 AM
44man,

That is good!

There is no doubt the frame of the BH is up to the use of the heavy loads.

I just know that if I were to try them again, I would seek out one of the after market base pins.

Would guess mine was not the only one to have the problem/damage, as otherwise there would be no need for base pins with set screws.

But, be that as it may, greatly impressed and love my Redhawk.

Have a good even'in!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot