PDA

View Full Version : Dirty cast boolits

Duckiller
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a goodly amount (500=/-) of sized, lube and gas checked .30 cal boolits that got dumped on a dirty floor and are well coated with sand in the lube. I know I could just remelt to clean up ,but then I would have to recast ,etc. I enjoy casting the first time and don't mind fixing booboos but I don't like to redo good boolits. Does anyone have any idea how I can clean up these boolits. I assume I will have to relube them, not a problem. I have considered washing in acetone. Any other liquid or way to clean? Duckiller

AnthonyB
04-23-2010, 03:55 PM
You can boil them and then let the water cool. Lube will solidify again and can be poured off with the water.
Tony

gray wolf
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I know all about doing this--Don't ask how I know just trust me I know.
I took an old piece of 1/4 inch screen that was raised off the ground, I put some old
card board under it and stood all the bullets up on there base. I then heated them with my propane torch--nice and slow and let the lube drip off --go slow and the bullets will be fine.
AND THEN I boiled them in a pot. There was a lot less lube to deal with, after the water cooled I skimmed off the wax and ran them back through the sizer to re lube them.
What a pain in the ****.

sqlbullet
04-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I put them in a jug and added odorless mineral spirits to it, let them sit for about an hour, then swirled them a good bit. Then I dumped off the mineral spirits and washed them with hot water and dawn.

Then I ran them all through the lube-sizer again.

geargnasher
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I've boiled them before with excellent results, even recovered the lube for filtering and reuse.

Gear

ghh3rd
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I put them in a box labeled "dropped on floor", and put it in the back of my boolit shelf :-)

parson48
04-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Just mark 'em for fire lapping!