PDA

View Full Version : Sizer top punches for RNFP bullets ?

jmsj
04-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm getting an old Lyman 45 lubesizer going. So far I've been tumble lubing and pan lubing.
My questions- All the bullets that I'm casting. are RNFP and SWC. Can I make one top punch w/ a large flat bottom to do all the different calber bullets?
I have lathe and thought it would be an easy project. or do you really need to match the contour of the bullet nose?
Any advise is always appreciated. jmsj

Cherokee
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I like matching the contour of the bullet nose, I think it helps keep the bullet straight since FN bullet are rarely really flat. But, you should be able to make one that fits all of one caliber. I made several on my lathe that were FN and would work for several bullets.

04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
jmsj,
Yes you can. Just make sure that the punch is large enough to cover the boolit nose (so it doesn't distort the nose or leave a ring) but small enough to enter the die (so the boolit goes deep enough to get lube in all the grooves).

cajun shooter
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
It's as 462 posted for all flat nose bullets. If and when you find yourself doing round or pointed nose just take a large nose punch and fill it with foil for a custom fit. You can also use a hot glue gun by filling the cavity then inserting the bullet. You will have a very custom punch that the factory can't match.

jmsj
04-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.
cajun shooter, I really like your idea about using hot glue to match pointed or round nose bullet noses. I was thinking about using JB weld, hot glue would be a lot easier and faster.
Many Thanks,jmsj

04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I've tried hot glue but found the impression had a habit of not staying on. 5-minute epoxy works, though it's permanet.

Mk42gunner
04-24-2010, 02:59 AM
... 5-minute epoxy works, though it's permanet.

No it isn't. You can remove most epoxies with heat. A propane torch will supply more than enough heat to breakdown and soften epoxy, then just scrape it out of the cavity.

Robert

04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Robert,
Thank you, sir!

Mk42gunner
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Always glad to help out, especially with money saving ideas.

Robert

prickett
04-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I've tried hot glue but found the impression had a habit of not staying on. 5-minute epoxy works, though it's permanet.

My new RCBS sizer is currently being shipped to me, so forgive me if the answer will be obvious once I see it, but...

How do you create the impression?

TIA

Mk42gunner
04-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Coat the nose of the bullet you need a top punch for with a release agent, so you don't glue it to the top punch; most any oil, grease or bullet lube will work. Run the bullet partially into the sizing die, (carefully so you don't distort the nose), this is to make sure the bullet and top punch are in alignment. Put a dab of epoxy in the degreased cavity of the top punch and lower it onto the bullet. five minutes later lift the ram and there is your custom fitted top punch.

Hope this helps,

Robert

cajun shooter
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, the hot glue does fall off after a while but see what the price is for a bag of glue sticks. Pretty cheap fix but it does require one to move around a bit to replace it. I have a list of health issues but have not reached the sloth stage yet! Ha!! Ha!!