PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a Winchester 1886

Doc_Stihl
04-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Local shop here just took in an original winchester model 1886.
It's been refinished and bubba'd pretty hard. Stock is cut short, no butt plate, peep sight. Not a straight screw head on it. It's been reblued and for some reason the barrel just doesn't look right to me. It's a half magazine with a 22" barrel.

But here's the part I'm confused on. It doesn't say winchester on it anywhere. No serial number and all I can find for information is the patent dates under the lever, "model 1886" on the tang and here's the kicker, on the barrel there's a stamp with "A M Hughel" on it then 45-70 which were 2 different stamps and off center from eachother then "HP" which was done with 2 different stamps. And to top it all off, to the left of the "A M Hughel" theres a double strike with jus the faint bottom half of "A M Hughel" But the "A M Hughel" appears to be done with 1 stamp and is straight and nicely punched.

Anyone know of any good resources for dating or pricing a gun like this? Anyone have any ballpark price of it's worth?

longhorn
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Rebarreled. If the action is tight, I might go $500 on it, for a project gun-proper wood, new barrel, new screws--it get expensive fast. And it'd probably never sell for what I had in it!

pietro
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM
There are sometimes markings, stamped into the side of the tang metal, visible only after pulling the buttstock.