PDA

View Full Version : How to get flyers and bad groups.

303Guy
04-22-2010, 06:10 AM
I did a set of field trials yesterday, having loaded up a batch of PPCBoos the day before, using all my odds and sods. I had plenty of flyers most of which showed yaw. Those were mostly the longer and heavier boolits. Does that mean my rifle won't stabilize long heavies? It sure looks that way but no. It's the long boolits all right but the problen began on the loading bench. My expander plug was not quite big enough resulting in excessive neck tension which caused boolit bending on seating! Not patch slipping or tearing, just bending. All the boolits had the same neck tension but only some bent significantly so sizing of the boolit base seems to have played a lesser role if any.

I also had flyers with lighter boolits but that was due to random thinner patches. Those flyers did not yaw.

Interestingly, the heavies I loaded last when I had improved my seating technique, were the most accurate. They were hollow nose and a little lighter. Also, they were a later batch of stronger alloy.

I'll be keeping neck tension to an absolute minimum from now on.

barrabruce
04-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Can't laugh!!!!
I am wondering if I will get a splattering resembling a pattern soon.
Wc ww aoutta fix that bending bit.

Barra

45 2.1
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I'll be keeping neck tension to an absolute minimum from now on.

That works fine. If you are down sizing GG boolits, you can also lightly crimp into a GG where the patch has shrunk into it to get some increased boolit pull if needed. The idea is to not cut the paper any.

303Guy
04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Hardening the boolit makes it less hunting effective at the lower velocitie of the Pig Pun. I had the correct neck tension but wanted to make all the cases the same so I sized them. That's where I went wrong! It did make me wonder how often that is the cause of accuracy failure. For my purposes, I need an alloy I can soften on the nose. It just so happens I have a lot I cast a while back that does just that if stood in water and flame heating the exposed nose.

leftiye
04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
What - you think I need help to get loss of accuracy????

barrabruce
04-23-2010, 04:09 AM
What - you think I need help to get loss of accuracy????
Follow me!!!!

Use a small core.
Wrap loose and over lap with paper tag end.
Or leave a good opening on the wraps so there is at least a wide gap.
Don't taper your case necks.
Seat in a sized case too small and make sure you only scape or crinkle a bit of the paper. You can use your thumb nail or knife to clean it up.
Seat well deep to allow plenty of jump!
Sart seating the boolits just in the case neck.Don't bother trying to get them concentric or nothing.
A quick whack on you whacke'm in die will scrape and seat them in good enough.
Just roughly measure powder with a dipper.
Make sure you rub in some alox or other lube to soak into the patch.

Use only your reject cast boolits..why waste good ones!!!

Hell I'm nearly and expert at this question.

Just about all the things I have tried so far.
Still got a few things to try that probably fail.

I will try and do it right one day if I can remember what it was I am supposed to do.

Barra

303Guy
04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
I think I fired most of my rejects into my 'firing tube'. But I know I was practicing patching the worst ones first and those were the ones I was testing mostly. They were a mixed lot of hardness too. I did segregate the different boolit weights and styles. So realistically, the gun did not shoot too badly. My next lot are going to be loaded with a great deal more purpose!:Fire:

I've given the bore another fire-lap and have upped the powder charge to ensure paper disintegration without leading the bore. Now I'm working on hardening the boolit rear sections and softening the nose sections of the harder alloys. I'll segregate the boolits by alloy too, although I would like the gun to be insensitive to alloy changes.

I've also sorted out my neck sizer/expander.

michael30.06
04-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Keep up the research! If the pigs have as good a breeding season this year as last we will be over run soon. The sugar cane crops around here are already taking lots of damage. Might be time to visit a few farms again and see if they need a shooter to help out

Zeek
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
.... I've also sorted out my neck sizer/expander.

When it comes to sizing for a given neck tension (minimum that will do the job), it is pretty difficult to beat what you can do with the Lee collet neck sizer die, for it lets you just dial right into the desired after-sizing caseneck I.D., although all your cases must, of course, have the same neckwall hardness (if not, then anneal them and you are sitting pretty). It hardly works the brass at all. So long as you are not using high-pressure loads, you can run ten shots or so between full-length-sizing sessions.
Neat!
Zeek