PDA

View Full Version : Blue press & bullet prices (stick to casting)

randyrat
04-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Now i know why i cast, reminder. I received a Blue press (dillon catelog) and happed to look at the prices of 230 gr berry's bullets(not jacketed, but Plated) 452 dia for the 45 acp...Wow for a 1000@ $134.00 and they will ship them for free.
I used to buy these a while ago seems to me they were about a 1/3 of that.

There is no way i would want to feed my fun with those prices. Maybe if i had 2 boats,4 snowmobiles, lake house, 10 times the amount of guns i have now, 2 wives, 10 kids, 4 cars and trucks in the garage, and i had money left over, a guy wouldn't mind buying them for a habit like mine.

RayinNH
04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Randy, two wives, money leftover, your kidding right :grin:...Ray

HeavyMetal
04-21-2010, 08:39 PM
2 wives and 10 kids,

Dude; I know why you don't have 10 times the guns you have now!

cricco
04-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Money was what drew me into casting.....and then I fell in love with the art!

randyrat
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Heck, i just have one money hungry woman and 4 kids and i would never trade her for a newer model, that would be way more expensive. Besides she's used me now.
The trick is not to stay on the main floor of the house too long, never be predictable, do dishes once in a while, take out the garbage, and always think long and hard before you say yes to anything.

steg
04-21-2010, 10:58 PM
But Randy look at all the money you could be saving on shipping,LOL, ...............steg

qajaq59
04-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I've been using my cast bullets exclusively in my rifles for several years now. The other day I needed some jacketed bullets for a specific hunt so I went to Midway to order some. Wow!!! If I shot a hundred of those a week like I do the cast, I'd be broke real quick............

BrianB
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
It is really getting out of hand. I was in a gun shop a few days ago that has reasonable prices. .35 cal. 180gr. Hornady SSP's were about $35 per hundred. I've wanted to try them for hunting, but not at that price. I'm considering going cast-only for everything (I already have a good selection of molds) except for .270 Win and .243 WSSM's.

Two wives? Ten kids?!!! I'm still trying to get that visual out of my head!!!

Hardcast416taylor
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Speaking of prices. About a month ago I was placing an order with Dillion for case lube and a few other items. I decided to order some books they advertised. So I ordered powder profiles and the new larger edition of pet loads. The partial order came in two seperate boxes and minus the pet loads book. Out of stock will ship when we have in stock was the answer I got. I have still not got the book and I have now seen the same books in Mid-South for a lot less money. I guess too soon old and to late smart. I see all their prices are up, must be the cost of feeding those mini-guns?Robert

Matt_G
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Yep prices are getting ridiculous, that's for sure.
If it wasn't for casting I couldn't afford to shoot one sixth of what I can now.
Now the trick is to stockpile enough lead to keep the moulds fed.

Speaking of which, the wife just called. Says she's coming home early since it's raining here today. She hates being outside in the rain...
Anyways, she had the snow tires removed from her plow truck this morning and the regular street radials put back on.
She's coming home with 3/4's of a five gallon bucket full of WW's!
Said Mike at the shop doesn't even want anything for them.
I'll buy him some Foster's anyways.

Do I have a great wife or what? :mrgreen:

qajaq59
04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Do I have a great wife or what? Yup, she sounds like a keeper!!!

Fixxah
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Money was what drew me into casting.....and then I fell in love with the art!
A great addiction isn't it?:drinks:

qajaq59
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but as a hobby, it's top shelf. And with a little effort you can get some excellent accuracy with cast bullets.
And plenty of guys are doing it without spending any great amount of money. It's nice to have electric bottom pour pots and all the gadgets. But if a young guy with a mortgage and 3 kids wants to do it, he can get along with a minimum outlay of money.
I'd certainly recommend it.

Wayne Smith
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
If you think bullets are expensive, look at loaded ammo! I just bought smme 7mm 'blems' off of Midway's sale - almost worth it. I just can't see hunting with cast in a 7mm. I know, there are those who do, and successfully, and there are those who kill deer with a .22, as well.

Matt_G
04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
If you think bullets are expensive, look at loaded ammo!
Amen Wayne.
Once I explained to my wife that I can load about 350 rounds of plinkin' ammo for her 357 for the same price as 50 rounds of the cheapest .38 Special I can find, she no longer has a problem with me pulling the trigger on large primer/powder orders. She's even bringing home WW's now and then. :mrgreen:

bigboredad
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I looked at some .22 rimfire he other day wow looks like I will keep shooting my .45's. and with the money I have saved over the last year by casting and reloading I was able to fund another .45 ruger birdshead vaquero. and my wife will call from work and ask if we can cast when she gets home. She enjoys it almost as much as I do