PDA

View Full Version : Burris H/G scope

Bucks Owin
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Ran across what I think is a good deal on a 4X Burris EER scope yesterday. It's a silver model with a parallax adjustment on the front and duplex reticule. The ol' boy at the gunshop says somebody ordered it and decided they needed a varible power. It looks like an older model but never installed....(Wish I could remember the model)
Anyway, I told him to hang onto it for me as he only wants $40 for it. I don't know much about handgun scopes but I figured ANY Burris must be worth that much right?

Now.....Who makes a good "no gunsmith" mount for my Flattop? (If there even IS one) I'm not about to drill any holes in it...
If there is no mount for "ol Bessie" how about a good Single Six mount?
(Or even a K frame Smith...)

Thanks,

Dennis

AnthonyB
07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Dennis, I'll gladly buy it for one of my Scout scoped levers if you don't buy it for the Blackhawk. Let me know... Tony

45nut
07-20-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=359216
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=359216

GregP42
07-20-2006, 06:47 AM
The only problem I have seen with that type of burris mount is that over time it will leave a mark on the barrel. I am also not sure that one will work on a flat top, I have only seen it used on the modern ones and they have that slight rasied section at the rear the is on both sides of the sight.

Greg

Bucks Owin
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the link 45Nut.

The Weaver mount looks like it'll possibly work. Hopefully the thickness of the top strap is the same between the Flattop and the OM/NM with sight protectors...
I'll do some measuring...

The reviews are certainly favorable and the mount looks plenty "skookum"....

Dennis

Bucks Owin
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Dennis, I'll gladly buy it for one of my Scout scoped levers if you don't buy it for the Blackhawk. Let me know... Tony

Sorry, I'll fit on one of my wheelguns at that price! :-D

AnthonyB
07-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Darn, another bargain lost! :)
Tony

nighthunter
07-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Weaver makes a no gunsmithing mount for Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I've had one on a Super Blackhawk for over 20 years and never a problem. Recently I put one on a Blackhawk and the fit is perfect. No need to alter the revolver. Remove the rear sight and you can have the base on in 10 minutes.It is a very uncomplicated procedure that can be done on the kitchen table with a screw driver and a 3/16 allen wrench.
Nighthunter

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks nighthunter, if it'll fit a Flattop frame without any holes I'll be styling!

UPDATE:

I finally put this rig on a NM Single Six to play with today since I already had a mount for that sixgun. Works great but I found out why the good price. The reticle is about 10 degrees out of kilter with the turrets. Looks like hell on the gun with the turrets listing to port!

Good news is that I emailed Burris' customer service and they really do have a forever and no questions warranty. They said mail it in and it'll get fixed pronto!

Way to go Burris, you've made a loyal customer here!

Dennis

chunkum
08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Bucks Owin,
For what it's worth, we have a Burris mounted on a .44 Mag Desert Eagle. It has held up well and maintained it's zero. The Weaver Rings did shoot lose once but, after a "Blue Loctite" correction on that, there hasn't been a glitch.
Best Regards,
chunkum

BOOM BOOM
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
hi,
I have 3 of the older burris drop comisator scopes & love em. you made a good buy.

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys....

Now that I've actually had the thing at home instead of "layaway", and done a little powder burning, I'm pretty happy with it. Has "target" turrets and parallax adjustment down to 25 yds with a fineplex reticle BTW....

Once Burris realigns the reticle I think I'll have a pretty good sixgun scope!

One thing I noticed (well, two actually) since I've never shot a scoped handgun before, is the amount of tremor at 4X even off the sandbags. Almost makes me nauseous!

The other thing is the amazingly tighter groups....

FWIW,

Dennis

44man
08-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Those Weaver no gunsmith mounts will cut grooves in the barrel from recoil. I even tried brass shims between the clamps and barrel and they were cut in half shortly. I gave up, cleaned the grooves off the barrel and drilled and tapped the gun.

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Those Weaver no gunsmith mounts will cut grooves in the barrel from recoil. I even tried brass shims between the clamps and barrel and they were cut in half shortly. I gave up, cleaned the grooves off the barrel and drilled and tapped the gun.

Uh oh....Can't have that!

Maybe "Ol' Betsy" is destined to stay open sighted 'cause it sure ain't gonna get no holes drilled in it....

Oh well, that's why they make NM 10.5" SBHs! I'm sure mama will understand....[smilie=1:

Dennis

Bucks Owin
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Anybody had a B-Square scope mount on a Blackhawk? Looks pretty good and rugged as well as pricey.....($75)

Dennis