PDA

View Full Version : Flyers

DMCCALL71
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I am pretty new to casting, but have been reloading for 15 years. I have a problem that is giving me some trouble with my 9mm loads.

I am using a Lee 6 cavity 125 grain tumble lube mold. Lubing with LLA / JPW / mineral spirits concoction of approximately %45 LLA, %45 JPW and %10 Mineral spirits.

The bullets hit at point of aim, pretty much, but the problem is that about one in five will be about 8 or 9 inches higher than the rest of the group, and a couple of inches to the left. The main group is more or less acceptable for the practicing that I am doing (3 inches at 25 yards) but I'm getting the darn flyers.

The bullets are dropping out at .358, the barrel slugged at .356 (Storm Lake barrel in a Glock 34)

I am using 4.5 grains of Unique for powder. The boolits are straight wheel weights.

I have had success reloading for years with commercially bought bullets, so I think the problem is with my casting.

Any ideas?

Dave.

Trey45
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok, here's what I would do. Your next casting session after you get that mold heated up and dropping good boolits, drop 6 on a towel and allow them to air cool all by themselves, remember the order they dropped in relation to the cavities of the mold. Once they cool, measure each one, it sounds like one of your cavities is undersized. Once you establish "which one of these is not like the others", lap out that cavity until it's like the others.

steg
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
We need fliers, it's my excuse for missing....Yup musta been a flier! I was dead on, LOL...steg

saskgunowner101
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I loaded some undersize bullets on purpose in my Husqvarna rifle just to see what they would do. They were .362 running in a 9.3x62 (.366). Nice to shoot, but not real accurate, and I would get an extreme flyer with every 5 shot group.

If I had to guess I'd say undersize as well......my .02

44man
04-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Try a better lube first.