PDA

View Full Version : 44 ruger

04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
i am thinking about getting a ruger 44 mag 10 1/2" barrel gun. i am not sure if i want a blue or ss gun. i will be shooting cast bullets. what will shoot better , lead less, clean easer, and last longer. i know i an asking for everything. thanks charles

docone31
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
I do not like stainless.
Just my way.
Blued looks "natural".

jhrosier
04-20-2010, 09:12 AM
It is all about appearance. Pick the one that looks best to you.
I prefer stainless.

Jack

Shuz
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
+ 1 FOR STAINLESS--I don't think there is any advantage in "leading" one vs the other, but it sure is nice not to have to worry about wiping off fingerprints or moisture every time a stainless gun is handled.

44man
04-20-2010, 09:32 AM
i am thinking about getting a ruger 44 mag 10 1/2" barrel gun. i am not sure if i want a blue or ss gun. i will be shooting cast bullets. what will shoot better , lead less, clean easer, and last longer. i know i an asking for everything. thanks charles
Both will shoot anything but I like stainless, less upkeep. Get a scratch and Scotch Brite will make it like new. Shoot the gun and put it away.
I have that revolver and it has close to 60,000 heavy rounds through it and uncounted light loads. I am losing count since I stopped counting bricks of primers.
I shot 79 out of 80 with it when I shot IHMSA and I hunt with it now, it has killed a pile of deer. With the RD 265 gr boolit it will maintain 3/4" at 50 yards and 1-1/4" at 100 if I do my part. Doing a drop test with my 330 gr boolit at 200 yards surprised me with 3 shots in 1-5/16". Please never ask me to do it again though! :holysheep
It is one tough gun and you will never wear it out but keep a good lube on the cylinder pin and ratchet, I use a drop of STP on each.
Not bad for an old timer, is it? I was hitting the can low at 100 and aimed higher for the last shot.

dualsport
04-20-2010, 01:35 PM
My old blue Ruger SBH still does what it did 20 yrs. ago. Blue guns have more character, no real trouble to keep up, unless you're in a salty marine environment, then SS is the way to go.

Ekalb2000
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I have both types. The blued 357 is an 81 model. No real heavy wear marks.
Blue is traditional. But SS is so easy. After shooting I will clean my SS guns real good, but I dont have to check them once a month like I do my blued guns down here in FL. Zero problems with my blue guns, I am just a little paranoid.
But my SS ones I never think of them after cleaning.
+1 for SS in any environment.

44man
04-21-2010, 12:44 AM
I have both types. The blued 357 is an 81 model. No real heavy wear marks.
Blue is traditional. But SS is so easy. After shooting I will clean my SS guns real good, but I dont have to check them once a month like I do my blued guns down here in FL. Zero problems with my blue guns, I am just a little paranoid.
But my SS ones I never think of them after cleaning.
+1 for SS in any environment.
I hate cleaning and will go so long until the cylinder starts to get hard to turn and I might just clean the cylinder. Even the STP gets dirty. I have gone over a year without touching the barrel. I don't think it ever needs cleaned, I just do it for the heck of it.
I had to clean it so Whitworth could hunt pigs with the 300 gr Hornady. We shot a lot of them sighting, etc. I cleaned it to remove copper when he brought it back and only the first patch had a tinge of blue on it.

Bert2368
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I have the 10 1/2" SBH in blued, bought it used in 1981. You won't likely wear one out- If you're not going to scope it, you might like a set of these: http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html