PDA

View Full Version : And one more question on filler

quack1
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Have another filler question. Has anybody come up with an easy way to get a tuft of dacron in a 25 caliber hole? I'm loading 25-06 with slower powders and think a filler might help, but man, that tuft of dacron doesnt want to go in there without a fight. Any hints? The dacron I have been trying to use is the loose stuff, would the kind that comes in a sheet work better? Thanks

mooman76
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I used a very small dowel rod to put mine in a 7mm and had no problems. I also tried drier lint and it seemed to work the same, for me anyway.

Maven
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Either end of a wooden golf tee should work if you remove the point and/or reduce the diameter of the end which supports the ball.

DLCTEX
04-19-2010, 09:05 PM
+1 on a dowel, but be sure to sand it smooth or the little wood fibers will drag the dacron back out.

HORNET
04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
If you check in the sewing departments in some stores, there are these tools used in crocheting (I think) that have a "V" shaped piece on a wire stem on a handle with the open end of the "V" facing away from the handle. I have absolutely no idea what they're supposed to be used for but they work well for shoving Dacron into cases down to .22 cal.
With the Dacron in the sheet form, it is easier to get very consistent amounts by cutting squares or rectangles. With the loose stuff, there's a lot of guess work involved unless you want to weight each tuft.

quack1
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Hornet- Funny, I tried almost the same thing with a small piece of wooden dowel, but couldn't get the notch that I cut into the end smooth enough to not snag the dacron and drag it back out. The wife has chrochets and knits, maybe she has one of those things. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Coffeecup
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
I used a piece of bamboo skewer, but the roughness tended to pull the dacron back out. After a little thought, I painted the business end of the skewer with Testor's model enamel. After a couple coats were built up, it was smooth enough that the dacron didn't snag. Using bright orange paint made it easier to find the skewer, too.

Freischütz
04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I use a long, small allen wrench

runfiverun
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
second the allen wrench.

dualsport
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
I use my {edited}. Works great.