PDA

View Full Version : Saeco model 24, any tricks?

haven't got a clue
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Years ago I picked up a Saeco model 24 lead pot at a garage sale. At the time I was using a Lee bottom pour furnace so I never really put it into use. The other day I decided to give the Saeco a try, I didn't really care for it. The problem was that the bottom pour spout is located much further back than the Lee making it impossible to line up the mold. Do you guys have any tricks as to how to line up your molds under the pour spout?

Le Loup Solitaire
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
The Lee has the pour spout clear up front so one can get to like that feature, but the comparison of quality between the two pots isn't even close. To fix the prob of where the Saeco spout is in relation to the mold it is necessary to build a rest that centers the mold under the spout. A short piece of 2 x 4 that fits the distance between the front and back of the pot base (a little longer to allow for the addition of a lip at each end) with a thin pice of scrap(moulding)tacked crosswise on the bottom of each end will keep it from moving to and fro. Covering the top surface of the exposed 2 x 4 with a small piece of sheet aluminum protects the wood from heat and drips and also enables you to slide the mold on it easily. A screw can then be positioned at any point to serve as a stop for how far you want/need to push/ slide the mold. Some scrap moulding can then be fitted as "guide rails" on either side to keep the mold lined up as you push and pull it. That is the basic idea of the fixture; to keep the mold in a/the straight line and to control how far it goes in under the spout. I did it with my M24 and also on my RCBS Pro Melt with certain molds and it works fine. it also keeps the weight off your hand and is less tiring over time. Minimal cost for materials. Try it. LLS

haven't got a clue
04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
@ LLS, Thanks for the Information, I'll try and rig one up tonight.
Bill.

scrapcan
04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Also you can elevate the pot more than you do the lee. Bring it up higher so you can see under the pot. I have the lyman equivalent to the saeco pot, it is a very nice pot to have around.

Bret4207
04-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I have a SAECO too. I ladle cast for 30+ years. Tried a Lee, hated it. The problem of hitting the hole with the SAECO was fixed when I elevated my pot up to near eye level. Works for me.

The SAECO is a great pot. I'm not chucking my ladle just yet, but I'm learning.